November 21, 2017, 11:46:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ESPN Executive Producer on XM  (Read 496 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: February 02, 2007, 02:39:50 PM »

Last night, Claire had Rich Fineberg (sp?) from ESPN on her 4:00 show.  Very interesting question and answers to fan calls.  First question I heard from a caller was how would ESPN balance their "bells and whistles" so as not to overhshadow the actual racing.  Fineberg made me feel just a little more optomistic about this.  He did talk too much about how the "fans want to be in the driver's seat" and using in-car cameras. He obviously hasn't talked to Vivian and I, I guess.  But he did make me feel more confident when he described if there were on an in-car shot and someone came up to pass that they would move to the outside view to show the pass (something Fox has failed to do in the last couple of years).  Let's hope ESPN sticks with this philosophy.

I can't remember all he said, but it was a very fascinating show.  I wrote Claire this morning to find out if XM would be repeating the interview any time soon.  I'll pass that one to everyone if I hear back from her.

I didn't hear the beginning of the show (but Lou did), so I thought he was new to covering racing.  But when a caller asked about embedding cameras in the track like the one built in at the new Iowa Speedway, he talked about how ESPN used to do that on their Thursday Night Thunder shows.  That made me think he HAD actually been around racing a long time.  When I got home, Lou confirmed that Mr. Fineberg had been coveirng racing for ESPN for over 15 years (which is very good).  I know some here have blamed Neil Goldberg for a lot of the things we dislike at Fox.  Everyone seems to forget that Neil was the producer for NASCAR back in the old ESPN days and just went to Fox when ESPN lost the contract in 2001.  He'll be back with ESPN this year as producer and I think that's a good thing. 

Only time will tell if ESPN repeats all the mistakes Fox has made in detracting from the actual racing, but the comments by Mr. Fineberg made me a little more optomistic that they will try to show us more drivers, more of the actual racing, and downplay the graphics, etc. that Fox brought to racing. 

Edit:  Darn!  I should've written Claire last night.  She just wrote me back and said the replay of her show is at midnight east coast and 9pm west coast.  I was hoping there would be one today sometime like channel 144 used to do. 

Cheryl
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 03:30:30 PM by Cheryl » Logged
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 06:14:10 PM »

Cheryl, what station are you picking up the Claire B show on? I have not heard it on 144 the few times I have checked> Huh?

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 07:21:04 PM »

She's still on 144 from 4 - 7 Monday through Friday.  Just no NASCAR stuff during other times.  And a LOT of other sports breaks during her show and lots of commercials. 

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 07:54:29 PM »

OK Thanks.

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Vivian
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 09:36:30 PM »

Don is letting the XM expire in his truck and says we won't be buying Sirius.  So look at the money we are saving!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: