November 23, 2017, 06:40:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crown Jewel Races  (Read 1347 times)
17RoushFan
Veteran

« on: June 30, 2004, 10:57:40 AM »

I found this article to be prophetic of today's realignment:
http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/062904/spr_15976445.shtml

I was wondering what people think are the biggest events from biggest to smallest.

Here's mine:

So in 2004, the crown jewel events in the proper order are: Daytona 500, Brickyard 400, Southern 500, Coca-Cola 600, and the EA Sports 500.

In 2005, it will be like this: Daytona 500, Brickyard 400, Coca-Cola 600, and the EA Sports 500.

As far as the non-crown jewel events go, they are:
Pepsi 400(It's Daytona, plus Reagan was there for Petty's big day)
Sharpie 500(Bristol at night)
Carolina Dodge Dealers 400(Darlington win is always great)
Food City 500(Bristol)
Aaron's 499(Talladega)
DHL 400(I put both Michigan races in there, since brand loyalty bragging rights are at stake)
GFS Marketplace 400(see above)
Nextel All-Star Challenge($1,000,000)

tuned in to watch some commercials, but when they went to break, i saw a nascar race!
17RoushFan
Veteran

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2004, 11:13:16 AM »

Oh yeah, add 3 other non-crown jewel events: UAW-GM Quality 500 at Charlotte, and the two Martinsville races (Advance Auto Parts 500 and Subway 500).

tuned in to watch some commercials, but when they went to break, i saw a nascar race!
sally
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2004, 12:27:59 PM »

I can't give any races at the new tracks or MIS and California "jewel" status.  To me, Darlington is still the best, because the skill required just to survive on that track.  Homestead is just the end of the Crapshoot, and I doubt that it will ever be important as far as the race itself.  That leaves the short tracks (Bristol, Martinsville, Richmond), the 600 because of the length.  With the restrictor plates and aero, the races at Daytona and Talladega are just as much luck as anything, so I'm not sure how I feel about those races.  Let's face it...with the "realignment", it has changed a lot of things.  The Daytona 500 and The Brickyard (because no one thought they would ever allow stock cars at Indy) are big races.  Does any other race really matter that much?
Sally
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2004, 12:54:16 PM »

I think Indy is nothing but a big bunch of hype for a normally boring race.  I'd take Michigan over Indy any day.  Less hype and at least multiple racing grooves.

The traditional crown jewels are:

The Daytona 500 (most prestigious race)
The Coke 600 (longest race)
The Southern 500 (oldest race)
Old Summer Taledega Race (fastest race and possibly hottest race for the fans).

I think the France family have basically sold off most of the family jewels (in more ways than one).   :cry:

Best races these days are:

[Normally] the Coke 600, but not this year
Both Martinsvilles
Bristol Night Race
Rockingham (but we won't have to worry about THAT anymore)   :cry:
Darlington Southern 500 (see above)
Fall Atlanta Race (much more appropriate to be last race of the season than that snoozer at Homestead).

So I guess my conclusion is NASCAR doesn't have much to claim as jewels these days, just a bunch of faded rhinestones...

Cheryl
17RoushFan
Veteran

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2004, 04:54:18 PM »

Cheryl,

That's exactly what Rusty Wallace said. They have taken some of the best races away, which is part of the racing NASCAR has slipped in ratings recently. The fans are showing their displeasure, but unfortunately Brian France doesn't give a flip about tradition.

ronbarnes7777
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2004, 06:31:19 PM »

hey guys i wonder why the ea sports 500 is considered a so-called crown jewel race.that race is judt not exciting enough to a crown jewel and i agree with you cheryl indy is way over hyped and it's not very exciting.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2004, 06:38:51 PM »

Quote from: "ronbarnes7777"
hey guys i wonder why the ea sports 500 is considered a so-called crown jewel race.that race is judt not exciting.

Probably because back when it was the Winston 500, YEARS ago, it was the fastest race prior to the plates.  Now, I'd think Altanta is the fastest race, but who knows...It has the fastest qualifying speeds and all, but maybe the race pace itself is slower than Talladega.  

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2004, 08:27:50 PM »

Daytona 500 and the fall Atlanta race are the only 2, imo.  Tradition and closest finishes.  Starts and ends the season basically as Homestead is just not really normally a race that plays any part in anything other than just another oval.  And that's my opinion!
17RoushFan
Veteran

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2004, 08:56:17 PM »

ronbarnes,

i agree. even though i said the ea sports 500 is considered one of the 5 big events, i don't think it should be either. if nascar ever starts up a "nextel million," the bristol night race should be taken into consideration, imo. like darlington, if a driver can keep his car clean fro 500 laps around that narrow track, i think it is an accomplishment. i still remember the tnt announcers saying last year during the sharpie 500 that how can a person be booed (in this case, kurt busch) when having their reflexes tested for three-and-a-half hours and staying out of trouble? sure, bristol is not known as being an abrasive track since it is a concrete surface, but it is a hard place to win. In addition, bristol is not going to have problems selling out fans. people enjoy seeing cars trade paint frequently.

sally
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2004, 09:26:27 PM »

Amen to Bristol!  Being there is incredible...a true test of survival.   Face it...with the Crapshoot format, they have killed off any "crown jewel" races.  Cheryl, Staci and I about fell off the couch laughing about the "selling the jewels" comment!
Sally
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: