November 18, 2017, 12:48:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ESPN signs Compton as lead analyst  (Read 661 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: January 27, 2007, 03:00:32 PM »

From Jayski:

"Stacy Compton has agreed to terms on a contract that will make him ESPN's "lead analyst," the driver confirmed Thursday. He said the contract is for one year with a two-year option for 2008 and 09. ESPN will make a formal announcement of Compton's hiring next Tuesday. Compton made his first ESPN appearance on Thursday night's 6 p.m. SportsCenter. He will be a regular contributor to the ultra-popular sports news show, and he will share his racing expertise on three racing-exclusive programs a week during the season. He and host Erik Kuselias will do a Monday "NASCAR Now" program, and Compton will also appear on two Sunday "RaceDay" shows. Most of the programs will air from ESPN's Bristol, Conn., studios, but Compton expects to do some work from NASCAR tracks. Official airdates of "NASCAR Now" [Feb 5th at 6:30pm/et and weekdays at that time] and "RaceDay" will be announced next week. Compton's only regret about his budding television career is it will cut into his racing slate. He recently signed to drive an abbreviated Craftsman Truck Series schedule for 2007 with Wood Brothers/JTG Motorsports, the team he drove for in the Busch Series from 2001-06. Compton will share the driving duties of the #09 Ford F-150 with Georgia driver Joey Clanton. Compton is signed to pilot the truck for nine races, and Clanton is scheduled to drive the other 16. There also are plans for Compton to drive some Busch Series races for Wood Brothers Racing. Compton is talking with other teams about possible race dates, too.(News and Advance)(1-27-2007)"

This is interesting.  I have always thought Stacey was nice guy and deserved better rides than he got in Cup and Busch.  He was very successful and won several times in the truck series.  Not sure how good an analyst he will make though.  Seems like ESPN is going for some guys who will work cheap though.  Wink

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 09:49:40 PM »

I found that to be interesting.  I am not a Compton fan so hopefully that will not interfere with my enjoyment of the race and put the announcing in a bad lite for me.  Not bashing, and yep, that is selfish on my part but some people just don't set well with me.  However, I will give it a chance.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 01:30:03 PM »

Here's more hires for the ESPN crew.  This one should make Vivian happy.   Wink

From Jayski:

"ESPN names Said and Compton Analysts of NASCAR Now: NASCAR drivers Boris Said and Stacy Compton and popular urban radio host Doug Banks have joined the experienced team of hosts, analysts and reporters for NASCARís return to ESPNís multimedia platforms in 2007. The three will be part of NASCAR Now, ESPNís first-ever daily news show totally dedicated to NASCAR, debuting Monday, Feb. 5 [at 6:30pm/et]. Said and Compton will bring their years of racing experience to NASCAR Now as expert analysts, joining two-time NASCAR champion crew chief Tim Brewer and five-time NBA All-Star and former winning NASCAR team owner Brad Daugherty in that position. Banks will contribute to the showís host role with primary host Erik Kuselias. NASCAR Now will air at 6:30pm/et Monday through Friday on ESPN2, with special editions to air on NASCAR race weekends. Reporter Shannon Spake and NASCAR Insiders Angelique Chengelis, Tim Cowlishaw and Marty Smith will also contribute to a fast-paced menu of highlights, opinion, debate, analysis and the latest news from drivers, crew chiefs and insiders both on and off the track. Live NASCAR racing returns to ESPN for the first time in six years with coverage of the NASCAR Busch Series season opener at Daytona International Speedway on Saturday, Feb. 17, at 1:15pm/et on ESPN2.(ESPN PR)(1-30-2007)"

Cheryl
Lou
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 06:46:06 PM »

popular urban radio host Doug Banks
What the heck is an urban radio host - or should I even ask? Racing knowledge might not be a prerequisite apparently.

Lou

Vivian
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 09:43:09 PM »

Actually, even with Boris there, I probably won't watch many of these type shows.  They all have the same info and it seems if you watch one, then you are just watching repeats only with different people on the show.  For some reason, I cannot get too enthused about them. 
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 01:30:12 PM »

I guess I feel like I want to support ESPN, while I don't support the repetitive and silly shows on SPEED.  Also, I believe the people on the ESPN shows will be a little less biased than the Jimmy Spencers and DW's on the SPEED shows.  To be honest, I've never watched Trackside regularly and almost never in the last couple of year.  Can't stand the post race show on SPEED and have only seen it once or twice.  I did like NASCAR This Morning until they went to the track live, added Spencer and those stupid screaming fans, and made it so damn long.  Now I can only stomach it occasionally and then I usually record it and ff'd through much of it. 

So to me, unlike the actual race broadcasts, I'm very optomistic as to the new shows on ESPN.  They may yet prove me wrong, but if they don't have DW and Spencer, they're already well on their way to being more tolerable to me. 

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 05:39:55 PM »

Lou, I haven't heard of Doug Banks either, but the description "urban radio host" means that he is probably black.  Banks may or may not have any previous experience in NASCAR at all, but he probably has been hired to do feature stories that will take up at least some of the broadcast schedule.

Stacy Compton I have heard of.  In fact, he was the polesitter at Talladega in the spring of 2001. (The race was won by Bobby Hamilton, who died earlier this month.)  He was also the outside pole sitter for the Daytona 500 earlier that year.

And lastly, I echo Cheryl's hopes that this show will be a good mix of highlights, news, and opinions.  After all the SPEED Channel shows we've watched over the last few years, we can only go up from here!

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 06:51:39 PM »

And lastly, I echo Cheryl's hopes that this show will be a good mix of highlights, news, and opinions.  After all the SPEED Channel shows we've watched over the last few years, we can only go up from here!

Actually, I don't need "opinions" from folks on TV.  I want them to report on the news and let us form our own opinions.  That's probably one of the biggest problems with Fox and SPEED - too many opinions.  Any you know what they say about opinions... laugh

Cheryl
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: