November 18, 2017, 10:13:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Feedback on NASCAR Now on ESPN2  (Read 4903 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: January 29, 2007, 04:54:00 PM »

This show is scheduled to debut next Monday, February 5 at 6:30pm, so I thought it would be nice to have a thread to review it when it starts.

Just starting a little off-season "housekeeping."  I will also be getting rid of all those pesky threads for "rate the broadcasts" from last year soon.  Will just keep the last 3 or so for each network up as a placeholder of sorts.

Cheryl
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 06:47:39 PM by Cheryl » Logged
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 01:12:13 AM »

The premiere episode ended just seconds ago, and I am disappointed by the debut.

I expected some news headlines, but there was nothing in there that we didn't know about.  The only two stories mentioned were the new Chase for the Nextel Cup rules and the possibility of Roush Racing merging with the Red Sox.

The program was hosted by Erik Kuselias also contained analysis from Rusty Wallace and Tim Brewer, interviews with Jimmie Johnson and NASCAR team owner Troy Aikman, and pop-ins with writers Marty Smith and Angelique Chengelis.  Chengelis did say that, while Jack Roush stood by his comments about Toyota last week, he would no longer discuss them.

What would have made the show better was a quick recap of news headlines, just as Totally NASCAR had, and a look at the new drivers, crew chiefs, and car owners in the 2007 NASCAR Nextel Cup season.  The first episode would have been the best time to go over the changes, and have some analysis of those.  Instead, as Cheryl feared, ESPN2 preferred to go heavy on opinions, especially on the Chase.

Still, this show is an improvement from anything on SPEED Channel.(throw-up)

P.S. Kuselias was decent, but ESPN2 still could have found a better host.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 01:13:54 AM by Desmond » Logged

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Richie
Sophmore

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 04:24:40 AM »

I agree.  I was very disappointed with the first show.  Looked as if it was taped well in advance.So much for the "NOW" part.  Please give us some news.  I really expected so much more.   Needed to be more fast paced in my opinion.   As Desmond said only a couple of things covered.  I Do not get speed so have nothing recent to compare it to. 

Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 01:48:07 PM »

I, too, was very disappointed in the debut of this show.  But I certainly wouldn't say it was better than anything on SPEED.  On the contrary for last night as a matter of act.  I watched Pre-Season Thunder on SPEED immediately after and couldn't help but compare how natural and knowledgeable John Roberts was on that show.  The host of this show was simply horrible!  He seemed plastic and definitely out of his element to me.

I agree with everyone else that there was absolutely nothing timely about the subjects covered either.  I'm thinking ESPN assumes no one watching this show has any other source of NASCAR news and, in that, they are sadly mistaken.  Instead of talking about yesterday's Busch testing at Vegas, they told us speeds of Cup cars at Daytona from TWO WEEKS AGO!   Angry  (In fact both SPEED and ESPN missed the problems with the LV track yesterday and the news about Darien Grubb-things which XM reported on around 5pm).

On the positive side, the studio shot and all highlights were in HD and looked awesome!  But that in no way makes up for the lack of content. 

Also, they had to have three TV screens while talking Troy Aikman via remote.  The second two TVs have that swirling crap on them like Speed has on Inside Winston Cup now.  Definitely too distracting for my old brain. 

I was also deeply disappointed that ESPN had to bring in other sports to a show that was suppose to be about NASCAR.  First they have a big story about Troy Aikman's team and then the host asks him what advice he would've given to Peyton Manning.  Give me a break!  Why must ESPN try to cater to the stick and ball fans all the time?Huh?

Lastly, I realize ESPN2 has always had the scrolling stuff called "the Bottom Line."  I've never cared for it, but I know we had the same thing on RPM2Nite.  What was absurd was that ESPN also had a larger graphic above that which was telling us the "story" they were talking about at all times.  These two things effectively covered up a quarter of the screen.  So much so, that once when they were showing highlights from someone's burnout from last season that the graphic and scroll effectively covered up everything ESPN was trying to show.  Doesn't anybody at the network preview this stuff before they go on the air??? 

Although he's one of my favorites, I thought Rusty came off as a bit too manic, but Tim Brewer was a pleasant surprise.  The quick sound bites from Marty Smith and the woman just seemed unnecessary and simply a way to introduce their entire team.

Overall, a very disappointing show.  I certainly hope ESPN2 works harder to stay on topic and provide some timely news in the future.

Cheryl
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 01:56:02 PM by Cheryl » Logged
sally
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 05:37:50 PM »

It seems that, for both shows, they are either just using what Nascar wants them to use, or they aren't going out and looking for stories.  Perhaps they should have waited until the cars get to daytona this week before going on the air with a nightly show.

I bugs me to no end when all the shows assume that anyone tuning in is a 'newbie' race fan.  I'm so tired of hearing them go over the same basic facts every time.  I wish, just once, they would assume that people tuning in have at least basic knowlege of the subject they are covering (Nascar), and give fans the respect they deserve.

Sally
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 05:53:03 PM »

Sorry. Embarrassed  I meant anything on SPEED except for the Preseason Thunder shows.  Very timely and informative. Smiley  I was also remembering how bad NASCAR Nation was.(throw-up)

Now if they could only take the audience out of NASCAR RaceDay.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Vivian
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 10:01:58 PM »

Although it had info from the past, I did enjoy watching the show and the change.  I watched with an open mind and although I have no idea who the host is, I think he tried hard to fit in and seemed genuine enough by showing interest in what the people they interviewed were saying.  The tv's on the wall in the background were distracting but as a debut show, I can't yet say it was awful.  Yes, they treated the viewers as new fans but I think they are still testing the waters and will pay attention to feed back they will be getting.  I am trying to look at it as we now have more choice as to which news shows we will watch.  I am gonna keep watching and reserve my final opinion until I have watched a week or so of the shows.  Gotta be fair, you know Wink
Richie
Sophmore

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2007, 01:17:22 AM »

okay, night #2,  It was better.  News off the top, I like that.  I personally like the banner telling us what they are talking about.  While I did not have time to sit down and watch the entire show because of dinner, I was in and out and it was great to glance down and try to see what they were talking about. 

I hope that we are not going to have to sit and listen to all of Rusty's accomplishments each night.  If this had been FOX introducing DW, many on here would be screaming about itbeing just a way to toot his horn.  Rusty will make a great commentator for ESPN, I will admit I don't care too much for him but, I can see where he is going to be a very good broadcaster. I just wonder how in the **** oops  they have gotten him not to use the 4 letter words he was known for saying throughout his racing career.  The floor crew really needs to help him with which camera is on, so far both nights he has seemed very uncomfortable knowing where to look, but he has been comfortable with his opinions and I do like that.   

I really think this show is going to get better, there will come a time when we are all comfortable with the host (whatever his name is).  All of them have to start somewhere, my vote would have been to find someone who had some roots in NASCAR, but hey that is ESPN's choice.

I have to keep reminding myself that this is not the days of RPM tonight, John Kernan, Jerry Punch, Bob Jenkins, Ned Jarrett and BP.  I think we all should keep that in mind when the First Busch race airs in a couple of weeks.
Lou
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2007, 01:53:52 AM »

I have a very verbose review to add to the other superb opinions here.

Show #2 was better than show #1.

Lou

shawn
Legend

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2007, 02:20:17 AM »

Show 2 was better, the news on JR sitting down w/DEI tomorrow was a good part and I think Tim Brewer is doing good for his first tv gig, at least I think its his 1st.

Not sure if I like the host, but I'm willing to give him some time to come around. 

Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2007, 01:40:53 PM »

I agree with everyone that this show was better than Mondays.  I also noticed as Richie did the eternal need to "validate" Rusty and Brewer's "credentials."  Obviously, someone at ESPN has been watching too much Fox.  I sure hope they back off on this soon.  It's annoying to hear over and over again no matter who it is. 

Contrary to what Desmond thinks, I don't have a problem with opinions on these shows.  That's part of what they are about.  I particularly liked the point Rusty made about Earnhardt, Jr. needing to put up some money if he wants a piece of DEI.  Glad someone had the balls to point that out.

Marty Smith will never be someone I care for and did you notice each of his comments ended with "TBD."  Couldn't help but think he's too much of the instant message generation.  "TBD, AFAIK, FYI..."   Roll Eyes  I think he'd be more comfortable behind his keyboard than on camera.

Oh yeah, still can't stand the host...

Cheryl
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 01:44:54 PM by Cheryl » Logged
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2007, 03:47:12 PM »

I have not seen this show yet. Not in a good time slot for me. BTW, TBD means?Huh? Perhaps--to be determined--? Grin

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2007, 05:37:20 PM »

I have not seen this show yet. Not in a good time slot for me. BTW, TBD means?Huh? Perhaps--to be determined--? Grin

Yes, Dick, it does.  I remember Marty saying that in context with what Lance McGrew might be doing now that he is no longer the #25 crew chief.

The second show had a more promising start than the first, with discussion of the impending Dale Jr./DEI meeting and the crew chief change at Hendrick.  However, the rest of the show was dominated by Toyota talk, even speculating that Dale Jr. will end up there if the DEI talks break down.  Please...

As for the opinions, I actually don't mind them.  It was simply based on my misinterpretation of comments that Cheryl made about the subject.  Maybe she doesn't like too many opinions.  If she can remember her earlier comments, I would like her to repeat them so that I can understand.

Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2007, 05:54:48 PM »

As for the opinions, I actually don't mind them.  It was simply based on my misinterpretation of comments that Cheryl made about the subject.  Maybe she doesn't like too many opinions.  If she can remember her earlier comments, I would like her to repeat them so that I can understand.

I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about Desmond.  I don't like shows with people like Spencer, Michael Waltrip, or DW because they show their bias for or against drivers.  I don't have a problem with folks on talk shows expressing their opinion on issues in the sport in general (like Rusty and Tim Brewer did last night).  I just don't like people who are called "analysts" by the networks but are just someone with an ax to grind against a driver or spend their time promoting their friends or relatives. IMHO, that is not analysis...

Cheryl
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 05:57:24 PM by Cheryl » Logged
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2007, 06:22:31 PM »

I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about Desmond. 

OK, someone fit me for my sign.Embarrassed

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: