November 25, 2017, 05:04:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 24 Hours of Daytona  (Read 1240 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: January 29, 2007, 01:48:50 PM »

Well Lou and I watched the majority of what SPEED showed of the race.  Pretty sad coverage in general if you ask me.  Cameramen must've been used to covering NA$CAR as they seemed to only be able to show one car at a time, even when the top 3 were running close for a while there. 

And SPEED obviously wasn't going to spend any money covering anything that happened when they weren't on the air.  They had absolutely NO highlights of the incidents that happened overnight!  Just sad. Yeah, we saw some repairs being made to damaged cars, but nothing showing how they got damaged.  I like Bob Varsha fine as an announcer, but will never be able to stomach David Hobbs again after his inappropriate remarks to Bobby Allison in 1994.

The race itself did surprise me that it was a lot more competitive than in past years.  Don't know if it had anything to do with the number of stock car drivers in it or what (and maybe the other drivers feeling they had to step it up a bit).  Fantastic racing between 9 and 11 on Sunday morning between the top three!  I was SO impressed by the Scottish kid in the Citgo car, Ryan Dalziel.  He managed to hold off Montoya and Angellelli for MANY laps until they had to pit.  Never seemed to get flustered when they tried to pass him on the road course and that Pontiac powerplant gave him some awesome torque coming back onto the straightways.  It's a damn shame that team didn't win.  Their pit stop just killed them, plus it looked like the handling went away on their car after the weather got warmer.  Or else Carpentier didn't have the hunger to win that the kid did.  Glad to see it was Scott Pruett in the 01 car at the end.  I figured somehow they'd manage to have Montoya in there at the end (since he's been the media darling for the last 6 months).  But good to see it was the guy who would be running the car the rest of the year in the series who got to take the checkered flag.  Just too bad the ending was so boring with the top 3 cars spread out again. 

Okay, I'm ready for some real racing now!

Cheryl
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 01:54:14 PM by Cheryl » Logged
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 06:51:47 PM »

I want to draw your attention to two other parts of the telecast that I especially hated:

• Incessant in-car shots, particularly of the 01 car
  • Too many commercials, even close to the end of the race

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 06:55:27 PM »

I want to draw your attention to two other parts of the telecast that I especially hated:

• Incessant in-car shots, particularly of the 01 car
  • Too many commercials, even close to the end of the race

The worst amount of commercials was during the first hour of the race when it was shown on Fox.  Just absurd to even claim that was coverage.  Kind of like 2 minutes of racing followed by 5 minutes of commercials.  I'm assuming putting an hour on Fox was just a ploy to try and suck in the NASCAR fans to tuning into SPEED or something.

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 07:06:28 PM »

The worst amount of commercials was during the first hour of the race when it was shown on Fox.  Just absurd to even claim that was coverage.  Kind of like 2 minutes of racing followed by 5 minutes of commercials.  I'm assuming putting an hour on Fox was just a ploy to try and suck in the NASCAR fans to tuning into SPEED or something.

Absolutely.  In fact, this is part of a larger partnership between Fox and SPEED starting this year.  As Bob Varsha noted in the opening, seven races, including four in Formula One, will be shown on Fox this year, with SPEED producing the events and selling the air time.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 07:14:28 PM »

I could care less about F-1, but I did notice the "SPEED on Fox" logo during that portion of the race.  So obviously, they are copying the "ESPN on ABC" thing.  Which I really don't understand in the first place.  I guess ABC was using that to lend credibility to their sports broadcasts and Fox is copying it as well.

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 10:14:35 PM »

I enjoyed the parts of the race I watched.  During commercials I just did other things and was amazed at how much I accomplished of my housekeeping during those breaks.

There were several cars and drivers that did excellent but unfortunately they were not included with the favored few that got a lot of airtime.

I was happy Pruett was in the car at the end.  I have watched him for years and he has always been one of my favorites outside of Nascar.  He is honest, clean cut and a real person, imo.  And he knows how tough it is to win so he appreciates it more than a lot of others, imo.  I think he knows that winning is not a given and that it is a privilege to win, not a right, like a lot of the newer drivers do these days.
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 03:58:50 PM »

We were in Speed Channel free Indiana this weekend, so I didn't see much of the race, but I too like Scott Pruett and am glad that he was in the car at the end.
 Too bad about the lousy coverage.
  The real fun race is the Grand Am cars, or whatever they call them , on Friday. Mustangs, Porches, BMWs, GTO's etc. Lots of fun. Sort of a throwback to the Trans Am days.
 It is also fun to watch the big Caddys run in the 24 hour race, along with the Corvettes. They sound a lot different than the other cars. Nuthin' like a big ole American V8! Grin

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
cowboy271
Grizzled Veteran

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 05:36:51 AM »

I tried to watch some of the race, but my weekend time is pretty well split between racing and college hoops till March.  Every time I switched from a BB game to Speed...commercial or one of their less meaningful (to me) programs.  I do like Scott and glad he got the checkered flag.  Like many of my posts...very little about nothing. 

I'm keeping with NASCAR's theme.."Idiot of Tomorrow" so Speedcouch needs a new resident idiot.
Lou
Administrator
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 01:22:00 PM »

Like many of my posts...very little about nothing. 
But dammit, you're one post closer to that next little blue helmet - and that my friend, is what this is ALL about! Racing is secondary.

Lou "I got more than you" Lauer

old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2007, 03:08:19 PM »

Like many of my posts...very little about nothing. 
But dammit, you're one post closer to that next little blue helmet - and that my friend, is what this is ALL about! Racing is secondary.

Lou "I got more than you" Lauer

Please keep it up, you two, I need the laughs. Grin Grin

Dick---I love little blue helmets!

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2007, 05:29:31 PM »

We were in Speed Channel free Indiana this weekend, so I didn't see much of the race, but I too like Scott Pruett and am glad that he was in the car at the end.
 Too bad about the lousy coverage.

What, Dick?  SPEED Channel-free Indiana?  You mean a state with such a racing tradition and there are no cable companies there carrying it? Evil  Maybe you mean you were in a part of Indiana whose cable system doesn't have it.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: