November 20, 2017, 12:59:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dan Rather Special "The Future of Ford"  (Read 697 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: January 31, 2007, 02:17:18 PM »

Lou and I caught most of this excellent special on HDnet last night.  It mostly focused on the Ford plant near Atlanta, GA where the Taurus was built which is now being closed.  Rather had interviews with several employees from that plant and other plants in Michigan, including the Wixim plant which is also being closed, I believe.

He also featured some coverage and interviews of the Honda plant in Marysville, Ohio to compare them to Ford.  Rather pointed out how the foreign companies are pushing the "made in America" claim on their cars.  Funny, how everyone seems to forget all the profits go back to Japan.  I think Jack Roush said it best last week about it being foreign capital. 

One statement made by a person he interviewed really struck me.  I'm not sure who this man was as we missed the first 10 minutes or so.  He was talking about everyone claiming how the Toyotas and Hondas built in America are bringing jobs to Americans.  He pointed out for every job at a plant owned by a foreign entity, it cost 10 other Americans their jobs.  A very depressing thought as well as the forecast for Ford.  They have a new president brought from outside the Ford family.  Can't remember his name, but he is the one responsible for making Boeing aircraft profitable again.

This show brought home once again why I'll never be able to accept foreign cars in NA$CAR or on our streets. 

This morning, I went to the HDnet web site to get the actual title of the show and it appears you can download these documentaries.  That particular one is not availabe yet as it just premiered last night, but if you are interested in seeing it and have the bandwidth to download it, keep an eye on this site:

http://www.hd.net/danrather.html#download

I highly recommend it to anyone here, especially with the foreign invasion beginnning to start in Cup this year.

Edit:  Here's a link to a "transcript" of the show.  It's kind of long, but well worth reading. 

http://www.hd.net/transcript.html?air_master_id=A4383

Cheryl
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 02:33:21 PM by Cheryl » Logged
Lou
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 03:01:51 PM »

It was certainly an interesting and somewhat eye-opening show. There's a lot more to the whole issue than most consumers have ever thought about. Makes me very glad to be driving a Chevy truck.

I'm not the preaching type and this is the kind of issue that can quickly divide an audience and cause bad feelings. You'll have to read and decide for yourselves. Here is one more source of information used:

http://www.levelfieldinstitute.org/ 

and one good report that would be better to read than yet one more website article on Daytona testing..:

http://www.levelfieldinstitute.org/docs/LFI_report_January07.pdf

Lou

old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 03:21:06 PM »

Lou, that "Level" report reminds me of some statistics courses I took many years ago. I'm going to need some time to digest that one, but at a glance, the methodology looks pretty sound.
 Very interesting. BTW, in case you had not figured this old dog out, I too drive nothing but traditional U S A vehicles. Roberta, on the other hand, has a SAAB convertible, but only because we qualify for the GM family/employee discount. It is a pretty fun car to drive, chicks dig it!! Grin

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Lou
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 03:35:15 PM »

chicks dig it!!

Ok, I take back my earlier post about little blue helmets being what it's all about. Dick corrected the errors of my ways and pointed out the REAL reason we live and breath.

Lou

Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 05:25:27 PM »

For various reasons, Dan Rather is the last person I would support to provide such a solid report on the problems of Ford, but he did.  Congratulations! Smiley

It was eye-opening to see Henry Ford's contribution to making the middle class possible.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 06:24:02 PM »

You're welcome, Lou. Smiley
The level field video says that GM and Ford each employee more Americans than all the foreign automakers combined. That may change for Ford, in light of its restructuring, but if that is true, then that stat, in and of itself, is enough of a reason for me to buy Ford or GM. Of course, I'm a Ford guy living in a GM town, so you know my thinking is a bit weird! Grin
 But I am well aware of where the old big money in our area has come from over the years, and it was not from the land of the rising sun, nor was it in the form of yen,....And I understand the trickle down effect also.
 Dick -- a Buckeye Redneck! (and if that isn't an oxymoron I never heard one).!

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Vivian
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 10:23:42 PM »

Good article on the main page, Cheryl.  And thanks for all the links.  Sometimes I have to shake my head in wonderment because I have a hard time dealing with some stuff.  It is always reported that America is the land of opportunity; but yet it seems that the Americans who have been here the longest are the ones who are being neglected in order to give all the newcomers from other countries the "opportunities"!  JMO
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: