November 23, 2017, 10:36:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Resident Idiot Confession  (Read 968 times)
cowboy271
Grizzled Veteran

« on: January 26, 2007, 05:01:25 AM »

Well, it's really not a confession, but following NASCAR's line of tantalizing promotions I figured more folks would want to see a confession rather than an explanation.  I only want to explain the "Speedcouch Resident Idiot" moniker attached to my posts.

First and foremost, it has nothing to do with my agreeing or disagreeing with Cheryl or anyone else on the board.  It simply refers to my inability to adequately verbalize my opinions in this or any other forums.  The forum environment is a difficult one due to the lack of non verbal expression.  I could say something "face to face" to most any of you and you'd see right away I was kidding or didn't mean to be taken seriously.  We really need a "Tongue in Cheek" emoticon.  I haven't exchanged viewpoints with anyone here that I wouldn't just love to sit down face to face and talk racing.  We owe Cheryl and Lou many thanks for this opportunity to interact, or at least I do.

I realize we're all opinonated and I'm very serious about the right for everyone to be able to tactfully express their opinon.  I also greatly appreciate Cheryl's attempts to keep the opinions tactful.  I'm a member of several forums, but the old Speedcouch is sorta home.

I'm keeping with NASCAR's theme.."Idiot of Tomorrow" so Speedcouch needs a new resident idiot.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 01:38:23 PM »

Oh, thank you, James! 

I know exactly what you mean about not being able to adequately express sacasm or kidding in email or in forums!  I've been accused of using too many emoticons over the years, but that's the only way I've found to even try to show when you are not being serious.  As to the tongue and cheek emoticon, I usually resort to the "wink" one as the closest thing I've found.  It's the 2nd one from the left in ones we currently have for the forum.   Wink

I actually counsel employees and managers here at work to not use email so much.  There is no substitute for face to face communications, where you can see the eyes or facial expression of the person you are talking to.  But email  just seems to be the "shoot from the hip" method of communicating these days and you can't take something back after you send it.  As a matter of fact, I'm dealing with a disciplinary case this week where a supervisor had to keep going on and on in email with his supervisor even after he was told to wait until they could talk face to face.  I've just seen so much misunderstanding happen over the last 12 years on my other racing group, so I can speak from experience how the person on the other end of the computer has no idea what was really in your head when you quickly hit the "send" button.  I've been as guilty as anyone of doing it in the past (just ask Lou).  And probably will be in the future. 

Anyway, thanks for your explanation as to your signature, but I just wanted to assure you that no one here thinks you (or Dick) are idiots! 

I swear one of these days, we have to meet face to face when we are in North Carolina and share a cold one.  Maybe when we go to Kenly on July 21st for the USAR race.

Thanks again, James!
Cheryl
Lou
Administrator
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 01:41:10 PM »

I only want to explain the "Speedcouch Resident Idiot" moniker attached to my posts.

No need to explain. I like the fact that there is someone here who may actually be worse than me. Makes me feel all warm and tingly and smart :-) (insert tongue in cheek here)

The forum environment is a difficult one due to the lack of non verbal expression.  I could say something "face to face" to most any of you and you'd see right away I was kidding or didn't mean to be taken seriously.

I can't speak for everyone, but I certainly understand full-well the issues with not being able to "see" the person and get a feel for what they really mean via the keyboard. From personal experience, it CAN cause friendships to suddenly turn cold, all because of a misinterpretation of some letters on the screen. I imagine that nearly everyone has experienced it firsthand if they've been using a computer for more than a week.

I realize we're all opinonated and I'm very serious about the right for everyone to be able to tactfully express their opinon.  I also greatly appreciate Cheryl's attempts to keep the opinions tactful.  I'm a member of several forums, but the old Speedcouch is sorta home.

Not that I need the brownie points ( I got all kinds of 'credit' built up :-) ), but Cheryl does try very hard to keep a level playing field and does a pretty good job at it. WE appreciate that the SpeedCouch community helps it go smoothly by cooperating and behaving towards others with respect and a little patience.

If we were meeting face-to-face, things would be different. The conversations can be a bit more edgy but there would probably be a lot more laughs than arguments that's for sure!

Group-hug anyone?   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Lou

old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 03:29:54 PM »

Good post, James. I'm kinda cosidering Speedcouch as Home too.
 My ref to your "idiot" line was, indeed, intended as tongue in cheek. I use the silly grin emotiocon-- Grin---quite a bit to indicate that I'm trying to be funny, tongue in cheek, or just plain silly. Grin

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 04:27:51 PM »

Oh yeah, and another thing (or two),
   1--We need one of those little thingies which has a guy laughing so hard that he slaps the floor and falls over;
   2-- I really wish I had met ole Cowboy when he lived in this area. He seems like my kinda folks! Smiley
 Dick

William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2007, 06:02:35 PM »

1--We need one of those little thingies which has a guy laughing so hard that he slaps the floor and falls over;

You mean equivalent to ROTFLMAO?   Grin

Oh yeah, there's plenty of room for eveybody on the "couch," so I'm glad you guys feel at home there.  It's getting a little frayed, but those are usually the most comfortable ones.  BTW, you DO realize the picture of the couch on the logo is a picture of my real couch at home? 
 Grin  Now, the svelt girl on it is just a made-up person, trust me. 
Cheryl
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 06:47:02 PM by Cheryl » Logged
Vivian
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2007, 10:18:41 PM »

James, you said that all so well. 

I know sometimes it is very hard to express something in a way it will not offend anyone else, especially if you have a very strong feeling about something.  One thing I always keep in mind is that we are all different and think differently which in turn means the meaning of a remark could and usually does have a different meaning for someone else.  If you look at that as an opportunity to analyze another person's view, it tends to lead to intrigue rather than anger at someone.  Since most of us learn the hard way that we can never take stuff back that we put on paper - or the forum in this case - then I feel it is best to adopt the attitude that we aren't in their shoes so don't know the real meaning of what someone wrote and that being the case, don't jump to judgement which in turn could lead to anger.  Sometimes initial reactions are great and well, but sometimes it pays to question the how or why of a remark, IMO

Cheryl does a great job keeping all under control and I think it helps a lot that we can chat and are liberty to say just a little more there.  Smiley
cowboy271
Grizzled Veteran

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2007, 12:40:53 AM »

Thanks all for the positive responses.  This post was taken differently than I perceived it, but that's a good thing. 

Cheryl, July 21st is open on my calendar.  Either Kenly or Myrtle Beach...both about the same distance from home.  An hour or so either way.  Would love to meet you and Lou.  As the time nears, let me know your plans.

Dick, thanks for your vote of confidence Grin  If you were ever at a Friday night race at Kil Kare in the late 80"s then we've been close together if we haven't met.  My daughter and I still talk about our times at Kil Kare.  I'm seriously considering a trip up there for the King Royal at Eldora.  It's one of the greatest motorsport events in my opinion and the setting is great.  Gives me something to look forward to:)

I'm keeping with NASCAR's theme.."Idiot of Tomorrow" so Speedcouch needs a new resident idiot.
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2007, 02:49:49 AM »

James, I completely understand your sentiments about the forum.  I can't tell you how many times I thought I made a brilliant observation, only to be told that something was wrong with it.  Either because it was driver-bashing or because it was factually wrong in some other way.

Cheryl is making me think a lot before I write anything, because getting the "mean mommie" angry is not what you want to have happen.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2007, 12:06:10 AM »

Well, I certainly agre that Cheryl does a great job of keeping things under control.
 Thanks Cheryl!!
 Yes-- aROTFLMAO emotion whatever you call it would be handy.

Now, Lou, about that "group hug",..... Grin Grin

William James
cowboy271
Grizzled Veteran

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2007, 05:23:13 AM »

Nawww, ain't going there...ain't a group huggie type unless they are huggies for a twelve pack.

Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2007, 01:33:42 PM »

Nawww, ain't going there...ain't a group huggie type unless they are huggies for a twelve pack.

Good one, James!   Grin

And Dick thanks for your kind words.   

Cheryl
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: