November 23, 2017, 04:11:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No commercials  (Read 617 times)
Vivian
« on: January 09, 2007, 12:38:12 AM »

I watched the Anaheim Super Cross Saturday night which was on Speed.  2.5 hour broadcast.

Main event for both classes was shown without commercial interruption.  It was wonderful.  They did have commercials in between races, but they didn't seem to be that extensive.  But then Super Cross does not bring in the same sponsor or $$$ that Nascar does.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 01:32:18 PM »

But how long are these types of races?  When races aren't very long like the short segments of the Winston, it's easy to be commercial-free.  Believe me, I'm not defending the networks, but it sounds like we are comparing apples and oranges. 

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 09:44:31 PM »

They are usually 20 laps and it takes about 58 seconds plus per lap so it runs somewhere between 20 and 30 minutes with the line up and watching all of them come across for the checkered.
cowboy271
Grizzled Veteran

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 12:29:54 AM »

This must be a new year....I'm inclined to agree with Cheryl on this one.  I'm sure commercial free broadcasts are neat, but the different formats just don't compare in terms of feasibility.  You know, if we keep harping on this commercial business, NASCAR may start red flagging the race every fifty laps for commercials like the college basketball tv timeouts every four minutes.

I'm keeping with NASCAR's theme.."Idiot of Tomorrow" so Speedcouch needs a new resident idiot.
sally
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 02:16:21 AM »

Don't they already do this, in effect, with their numerous and lengthy 'caution' flags?

Sally
shawn
Legend

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 02:34:53 AM »

Don't they already do this, in effect, with their numerous and lengthy 'caution' flags?

Sally

Ah, you must be talking about those mysterious "Debri" cautions that come out everytime green flag pitstops are about to take place.

Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 10:25:52 PM »

This must be a new year....I'm inclined to agree with Cheryl on this one.  I'm sure commercial free broadcasts are neat, but the different formats just don't compare in terms of feasibility.  You know, if we keep harping on this commercial business, NASCAR may start red flagging the race every fifty laps for commercials like the college basketball tv timeouts every four minutes.

Believe me, James, we're getting there.  As long as the rights fees escalate, we'll have more and more ads and they'll have to be placed somewhere in the broadcast.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: