November 20, 2017, 02:32:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Benny Parsons Passes Away  (Read 1329 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: January 16, 2007, 05:32:10 PM »

This is so sad... Cry

From Jayski:

"Sad News: Benny Parsons: Benny Parsons, 65, passed away today [Jan 16] at the Intensive Care Unit of the Carolinas Medial Center in Charlotte, NC. Parsons, who became a popular television and radio personality after retiring from driving in 1988, entered the hospital Dec. 26 as the result of complications stemming from his battle with lung cancer. The cancer was diagnosed earlier this year and was recently reported to be in full remission. More info on services as it becomes available. See info about Benny's career and bios at BennyParsons.com, goPRN.com or rendezvousridge.com.(1-16-2007)"

Also, some excellent quotes from Benny about TV broadcasting on NOL:

http://www.nascar.com/2007/news/headlines/cup/01/16/bparsons.obituary/index.html

Cheryl
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 05:36:03 PM by Cheryl » Logged
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 05:44:18 PM »

This is really sad news. I liked Benny. I kinda had a bad feeling when he went back into the hospital recently. God bless him and his family. Cry

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 05:45:45 PM »

I kinda had a bad feeling when he went back into the hospital recently.

Me too, Dick... Cry 

Damn...2007 is not turning out to be a good year for racers...

Here's another article from ESPN that gives some more information about his career and illness:

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?seriesId=2&id=2732630

Cheryl
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 05:51:26 PM by Cheryl » Logged
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 05:56:50 PM »

I know this sounds a bit lame, but do you think that there is someplace that we could e mail Phil Parsons? I like him too. Silly I guess, but I would send him a note.
 Dick

William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 06:01:32 PM »

I know this sounds a bit lame, but do you think that there is someplace that we could e mail Phil Parsons? I like him too. Silly I guess, but I would send him a note.

Not silly at all, Dick.  I'll see what I can find out (maybe from Mike Joy). 

Phil was on the Preseason Thunder Show that I taped on Friday.  When I heard him talk about Benny, I had a feeling it was just a matter of time.  Cry

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 06:10:39 PM »

I just saw this on the ESPN Bottom Line.  Another very sad day in NASCAR racing.

Benny Parsons was everything an analyst should be: knowledgeable, colorful, but classy enough to defer to the action on the track.  He also showed some courage last year, returning to limited duty on NBC and TNT after being diagnosed with lung cancer.

God bless your soul, Benny!

Cry Cry

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Lou
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 06:31:41 PM »

Here is a link to Benny's own website for some more info on his life.

http://bennyparsons.com/

and another with some "numbers"

http://www.nascar.com/2007/news/features/btn/01/16/bparsons.career/index.html

Lou

Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2007, 06:36:07 PM »

And here's a great group of pictures of Benny throughout the years from thatsracin.com:

http://www.charlotte.com/multimedia/charlotte/KRT_packages/archive/sports/bennyparsons/index.html

Cheryl
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 06:37:58 PM by Cheryl » Logged
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2007, 06:49:44 PM »

Ole Benny looks pretty good in that one picture with the wide brim hat and the shades! Smiley

William James
sally
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2007, 06:51:58 PM »

Very sorry to hear about Benny.  sad to start the year losing 2 of the more interesting and personable 'grand old men' of Nascar.

Sally
Lou
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2007, 06:58:02 PM »

One more link with stories of Benny

http://www.closefinishes.com/cgi-script/csArticles/articles/000003/000323.htm

Lou

super61
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2007, 07:24:02 PM »

The racing community has lost one of the "good ones". I had the honor of meeting Benny a few times at the old Nashville Fairgrounds speedway and he was a down to earth guy, always took the time to stop and say hello on the way to the booth.

My prayers are with the Parsons family and the NASCAR community

Ken
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2007, 07:44:30 PM »

That is a good description of Benny, Ken. I can't imagine a fella with a more friendly smile than Benny.

William James
Vivian
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2007, 08:35:16 PM »

Cry

I am at a loss for words.  My heart is with his family and the whole racing community who loved him.

Cry
derbyit857
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2007, 09:40:33 PM »

I too wish to pass along deepest sympathies to his family and friends. Bobby Hamilton's death surprised me as I hadn't really heard much about his condition since he admitted to his cancer fight in early 2006.  I, like probably all of you, knew things weren't good with Benny when the last we heard was he was in hospital and the updates weren't coming as frequently as we, as fans would have liked. 

I so wish we could find a way to cure/battle Cancer other than this chemotherapy option.  My Dad only got a chance to try the radiation treatment once but the sickness it generated was awful.  I can only imagine the range of emotions the family felt from the joy of finding out you are "cancer free" but to the sadness of destroying one of your lungs to get there.

It's coming up 1 year for me on Feb. 9 since my Dad passed away from Cancer as well and everytime I hear of it claiming another person, it truly makes me sad.   Sad   Especially since it took 3 great guys (counting my Dad @ 58) way too young.

God speed to both Benny and Bobby..

Craig
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: