November 20, 2017, 06:45:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rudd and Yates to Use #88  (Read 881 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: January 04, 2007, 12:49:03 AM »

Rumor from Jayski:

"Rudd to run #88 for RYR: Sources close to Robert Yates Racing told ESPN.com Wednesday that Ricky Rudd's Snickers Ford will carry the #88 in 2007. An announcement is expected as soon as this weekend, one source said. Since the mid-December announcement that Rudd would return to Nextel Cup Series racing following a year layoff, considerable speculation has centered on what number his RYR Ford would carry. Team officials were undecided and a bit evasive during a conference call following the announcement, leading many to speculate the number would switch to# 28 -- the number carried by Yates' first-ever Cup Series entry from its inception through 2003, when the car was switched to #38. Asked his preference, Rudd said he'd take the #28, which he drove for Yates from 2000-2002, posting three wins and 34 top-five finishes. But he'll get the #88, a decision made based on a 2002 agreement between RYR and Texaco/Havoline, sources said. The agreement, sources said, was that RYR could keep the #28 when Texaco left for Chip Ganassi Racing [#42 Dodge], but that Yates would wait several years to run the number. Yates and Masterfoods -- Snickers' parent company -- wanted to run the #28, but couldn't reach the required agreement with Texaco to do so, sources said.(ESPN.com)(1-3-2007)"

If Texaco is holding up using the 28, that just plain stinks!  They're not using it!

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 03:45:51 PM »

OH NO, Bunkie! Now my old "RUDD--28" sweatshirt won't be back in style! I was so looking forward to wearing it. In fact, Roberta and I have matching ones. How can they do this to Me?? Tongue Tongue Shocked

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 03:54:26 PM »

OH NO, Bunkie! Now my old "RUDD--28" sweatshirt won't be back in style! I was so looking forward to wearing it. In fact, Roberta and I have matching ones. How can they do this to Me?? Tongue Tongue Shocked

I'm with you, Dick!  I still have my #28 Rudd t-shirt as well and was looking forward to wearing it again this year.  Oh well, car number or sponsor change never stopped me in the past.  I still wear my limited edition "The Rocket Man Returns" in the Havoline #88 (from Ernie Irvan's return at NW in fall 1995).   laugh

Cheryl
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 04:31:07 PM by Cheryl » Logged
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 04:16:51 PM »

I told my better half about this Rudd/28 deal last week, and she said maybe we could put them on E bay to see if they had become collector items!!
 Sacreledge!! says I! Grin

William James
Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007, 08:04:50 PM »

Does anyone else besides myself remember when cale yarborough used to drive the 28 car and it was sponsored by hardees. Actually that was the same team that later on became robert yates's team.

old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007, 09:21:34 PM »

I remember that. Seems like a long time ago now.

William James
Vivian
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007, 09:25:35 PM »

I remember that car and the Hardees paint job.  It was too cool sounding one year when I was at Daytona. We could not figure out why it sounded so different from the other cars.
Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 03:08:54 AM »

Was that year 1983 when it sounded different than other cars cale drove a chevy and wrecked it after turning the fastest lap and winning the pole he was going to try a 2nd lap of qualifying to run faster than he did on the 1st. I think cale ran 200 or 201 mph on his qualifying lap in 1983.

Going into turn 3 cale lost it spun around and his car got airbourne. The car was destroyed and they had to withdraw their qualifying time and had to requalify cale ran a backup car in the daytona 500 a pontiac and still won.

Cbs showed footage of his qualifying run and his engine too me did sound different than everyone else's.

Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2007, 03:10:56 AM »

The ranier lundy team won 3 daytona 500 and finished 2nd in 1988 in the daytona 500.

Who was their other driver besides cale too win a daytona 500.

Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2007, 03:11:39 AM »

Isn't harry ranier's son loren ranier a spotter for some nascar team maybe robert yates's team?
Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2007, 03:22:31 AM »

Question for anyone who has been around long enough who ended up getting the pole for the 1983 daytona 500 after cale yarborough's team withdrew their first attempt the guy who ended up getting the pole for that race still races today.

Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2007, 01:35:32 PM »

Was that year 1983 when it sounded different than other cars cale drove a chevy and wrecked it after turning the fastest lap and winning the pole he was going to try a 2nd lap of qualifying to run faster than he did on the 1st. I think cale ran 200 or 201 mph on his qualifying lap in 1983.

I'll admit I'm not really up on much of Cale's history, but I could've swore he retired after 1988 or 1989?  Right after I got into the sport, I remember him running his last race and I'm pretty sure it was the late 80s.  Then they put Dale Jarrett in the Hardee's car and changed the number to 29 (I think).

Cheryl
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 02:18:29 PM by Cheryl » Logged
Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2007, 02:34:52 PM »

After cale left ranier racing in 1986 ranier kept the team and his number 28.

That's how davey allison got the number 28 was because ranier had the number 28.

Cale for 1987 formed his own team and took the sponsorship hardees with him.

In 1987 cale ran the number 29 on his car. I think cale ran a partial season in 1987 i think he did the same thing for most of 1980's when he drove for ranier.

Cale also ran a partial season for 1988 and there were rumors going around about who'd drive cale's car whether it would be brett bodine or dale jarrett jarrett got the ride if i remember right that was dale's first big break.

Cale retired at the end of the 1988 season.

During the 1986 season i heard that ranier actually tried to make cale a deal to see if cale would stay with the team.

But cale wanted to form his own team i think partly due to the fact that i think cale wanted to retire and be a car owner.

Actually at the end of the 1988 season another driver retired with cale who was the other driver at the end of the 1988 season to retire?

Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2007, 06:28:13 PM »

Disappointing news to me as well.  Why can't they all be gentlemen and come to an agreement?  The number 28 means a lot to many NASCAR Cup fans, and I was looking forward to seeing it again.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: