November 23, 2017, 12:12:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Article About ESPN's New Philosophy  (Read 632 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: December 29, 2006, 07:02:53 PM »

Three main things stick out in this article for me:

(1)  It's definitely NOT the same ESPN that left NASCAR in 2000 (as I've suspected).

(2)  They seem inordinately concerned about attracting the new or casual fans.  Yet on the other hand, they still call NASCAR "a niche sport." 

(3)  They're obviously aware of how disenchanted the TV audience has been with Fox, NBC and TNT by this comment:

"ESPN, however, inherits a fan base mainly on the Cup side that has suddenly aired its displeasure of broadcast pitfalls after less than a decade of merely having each race shown on television."

But the one that burns me the most is this mentality:

"...the birth of entertainment into the formula."  Ugh!  To  me, this fulfills my fear that ESPN will continue down the same path that Fox began.   Sad

Okay, that's four things.  

http://www.nascar.com/2006/news/headlines/cup/12/27/espn.busch.cup/index.html

As Sally mentioned in the chat the other night, they've also determined the Busch race broadcasts won't begin until 3 p.m.  With their planned pre-race shows, this probably means the green flag will not fall until almost 4:30.  For Lou and I, this means on the weekends we're at USAR races, we'll miss the entire thing (since USAR quals are usually around that time).  Of course, if the Busch Series remains dominated by the Buschwhackers, we won't be missing a thing.

After reading this, I feel like racing will take yet another giant leap away from what we all loved about it in the 90s (and before) and more towards a watered down shell of what it once was...

Cheryl
« Last Edit: December 29, 2006, 08:02:09 PM by Cheryl » Logged
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 07:52:40 PM »

I've been telling people since the ESPN announcement was made, "this will NOT be the ESPN of the past"
 I don't watch other events on ESPN (except IRL which has been decent) but from what I read sporting event broadcasts have been full of promotion for all things Disney (ESPN's owner) and full of attitude aimed at the precious young male demographics.  A quick net search of "ESPN and Monday night football "(or is it Sunday night now?) will bring up articles bashing ESPN for ignoring the games for in booth visits from celebritys and focusing on everything but the actual event on the field. I truly feel that this year TV will kill my interest in Nascar racing. In 2006 I missed, on purpose, more televised races than ever and shut off the tv many times and headed out for a Sunday drive so I get find an MRN signal.  I am just thankful I have Sirius for the race broadcasts this year. I truly feel if you are not an Earnhardt, Johnson, Gordon, Kahne or Stewart fan your interests will NOT be served by television. Shepard, Bliss, Raines, Blaney and Stremme are not names known to the "casual fan" who is expected to stop by while flipping channels.
 With Nascar's greedy hands in the diecast business and TV  race broadcasts focusing more on stories and entertainment than actual racing I feel by the 2008  season I will have new uses for my spare time and money.

I tuned in to watch a Nationwide race and all I got was Danica.
sally
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 11:07:21 PM »

I'm afraid you're both right on about this...but I've been clinging to whatever slight hope I could find here.  I too have seen my interest waning this year, and I'm afraid that it isn't going to be 'rekindled' with all the crap that scheduled for this year.  So sad.

Sal
super61
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007, 06:54:43 PM »

all i can say is i hope everyone got Sirius satellite radio for Christmas

Ken
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2007, 10:44:41 PM »

We've got four XM radios we paid for - one ordered in each vehicle, so I'm not about to buy new equipment just because NASCAR sold out to another company.  If Sirius ever started giving away their equipment free, I might consider it.  But, so far, that ain't happening.
I'll stick with the great music and Claire B. Lang on XM.

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2007, 05:54:50 PM »

Also, the article makes clear, if it isn't clear to all of us already, that the IndyCar "side by side" will not be part of ESPN's NASCAR coverage. Evil

Another quote creates a question for me: "It has not been released which six Busch races will be on ABC."  I had read through another source that the first Busch race on ABC will be the Sam's Town 300 at Las Vegas Motor Speedway in March.  Maybe Cheryl can talk to her sources for clarification.

Believe me, if things are as bad as everyone else thinks they will be, we'll all wish for a time machine back to 2000!

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
cowboy271
Grizzled Veteran

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 05:20:40 AM »

HAPPY 2007 EVERYONE!!!!

I just had a couple thoughts regarding this thread and thought Id pass them along and take my lumps.  I used to feel ANY NASCAR TV coverage was great.  I remember Wide World of Sports showing segments of the Daytona 500 and wished they'd broadcast the entire race.  Another old adage personafied..."Careful what you wish for, you may just get it".  I did enjoy the earlier broadcasts on TNN, ESPN and TNT (I believe).  The broadcasts were about racing and the drivers were drivers; not "celebrities".  The television evolution hasn't endeared me at all, but I'm not CASHCAR's target audience.

As an old gas passer (Cheryl, hope that's clean enough), I just don't need a lot of "polished" presentation.  I keep finding more and more polished parts as I age.  I have to wear polarized sunglasses to shave any more due to my foreheads reflection and that's not the only polished parts 
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 05:23:35 AM by cowboy271 » Logged

I'm keeping with NASCAR's theme.."Idiot of Tomorrow" so Speedcouch needs a new resident idiot.
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2007, 07:58:58 PM »

I did enjoy the earlier broadcasts on TNN, ESPN and TNT (I believe).  The broadcasts were about racing and the drivers were drivers; not "celebrities". 

Actually, that was TBS, James...

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: