November 24, 2017, 05:54:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: We Aren't Alone  (Read 659 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: December 29, 2006, 07:12:11 PM »

I'd read some reference to the time of this Sunday's Green Bay game being changed on one of my audio-visual forums, but didn't really get it until I saw this item in a column by Pete Pistone from racingone.com:

"Next time you complain about what television has done to NASCAR, think about how the networks tinker with the NFL. NBC has the right to switch Sunday games to prime time on short notice this season as part of a "flexible scheduling" policy, built to bring more attractive match-ups - and higher ratings - to its national "Sunday Night Football" line-up. On Christmas night, the network announced this Sunday's Bears-Packers game would move from a noon local time kick-off to 7:15 p.m. - New Year's Eve. So forget about any parties, dinners, family functions or travel plans in place that night Bears fans, unless you want to just throw out expensive tickets. As if downtown Chicago wasn't already going to be packed to capacity with holiday revelers, throw another 65,000 football fans into the mix. And I'm sure there won't be any more drunks on the road now either.

Television calls the shots in all sports today and NASCAR fans are just the latest to feel the effect."

That last bit doesn't make me feel any better, but I DO feel for the folks who have tickets to that game.  What a bunch of crap!

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 04:51:30 PM »

Yep. and the TV folks are dragging out the "Bowl" season an extra week this year. I refuse to get excited by these games. My nephew and brother in law were all wound up about the Texas/Iowa game Saturday night. Why? In the real world, the game meant nothing. I guess I'm not the die-hard fan anymore. Sad

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 05:46:15 PM »

I also understand that two weddings had to be altered.  In one case, the reception was cancelled because, I think, the groom had tickets to the game.  In the other case, a night wedding had to be changed to early evening.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
shawn
Legend

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 12:25:18 AM »

Yep. and the TV folks are dragging out the "Bowl" season an extra week this year. I refuse to get excited by these games. My nephew and brother in law were all wound up about the Texas/Iowa game Saturday night. Why? In the real world, the game meant nothing. I guess I'm not the die-hard fan anymore. Sad

Not only are they being drawn out, but the start times suck to.  The Boise State/Okalomha game didn't start till 8:45 last night.  Geez, how the heck are people who have to get up for work able to stay up till 1 in the morning to watch a game.

Vivian
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 02:22:40 AM »

Anyone watch that Boise State vs Oklahoma game?  Fiesta Bowl...  It was a fantastic 4th quarter and ot.  I thoroughly enjoyed sitting on the edge of my seat for that one.  Best of the weekend, AFAIC....
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 08:00:37 PM »

Anyone watch that Boise State vs Oklahoma game?  Fiesta Bowl...  It was a fantastic 4th quarter and ot.  I thoroughly enjoyed sitting on the edge of my seat for that one.  Best of the weekend, AFAIC....

And pity those, especially on the East Coast, who couldn't stay up to enjoy the end. Sad

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 08:14:34 PM »

And pity those, especially on the East Coast, who couldn't stay up to enjoy the end. Sad

Trust me, I don't feel deprived in the least.  I saw MORE than enough college football the last week to last me a long time!   laugh

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2007, 10:03:58 PM »

I understand that the 4th Quarter was really something, but I didn't even try to stay up and watch it. Congrats to Boise State. Heckuva win for them.

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: