November 18, 2017, 08:51:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Strike 2?  (Read 871 times)
sally
« on: December 27, 2006, 12:17:01 PM »

It seems that Nascar/ISC may be bowing out of yet another project due to lack of interest.  (Read...we don't want to pay for your private track, sucker!).

http://www.thatsracin.com/mld/thatsracin/16321176.htm

Wow, twice in a matter ofweeks...must be a rude wakeup call for BF. Grin

Sally
Vivian
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 10:06:21 PM »

Thanks for that link.  Living in OR we get a lot of news from WA state and I have not really heard anything good about supporting the track.  Seems like a lot of people really do watch where their tax $$$ go and think very carefully about how they vote on bonds just like we do here in OR.  Maybe Ken can shed more light on the history of bond voting there.

I will be truly surprised if they come to agreement, and IMO, the area they are choosing would not be that great for a facility.  JMO
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2006, 04:43:32 AM »

Sally, I hope you are right about ole Baby Brian, but I see him as so darn arrogant that he would just see this as one of those deals where the "little people" just don't understand. Angry

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
SeattleFan
Sophmore

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2006, 03:50:16 PM »

Hi all....

It's been awhile.  Somehow with all the changes and other stuff, my interest in Nascar has really waned... 

Anyway, about the Washington track.  Even living in the Seattle area, I haven't noticed a lot of press about it.  The Seattle folks have just paid almost $1B for two stadiums (Mariners - baseball and Seahawks - football) and have spent recently much energy (with no resolution) trying to figure out what to do with the Sonics - basketball.  They have new owners and it appears that Seattle does not want to foot the bill for another arena for private sports.  Many folks are still angry about Safeco Field (Mariners).  It went to a public vote twice and failed, but the legislature approved it anyway.

How all this relates, I'm not sure as there are a couple of communities that have appeared to lobby for the Sonics arena.

If I had to guess, from the numbers that I've heard thrown around, is that ISC only wants to commit $60M and expects the public to commit some $200M(?).  I don't think that will fly, especially since the location is difficult to get to (narrow roads and ferry across the sound from Seattle) and the supporting infrastructure would be expensive.

Put me in the "little folk" category.  If ISC wants to come, then they should pay the bulk... better yet - take their $60M and reopen North Wilkesboro.  THAT I WOULD PAY TO SEE!!!!

Ken from Seattle (now in Indianapolis with in-laws..)

PS - I would like to have a new house... I'll put up $30K, and if you all contribute the rest (maybe 300K, there probably could be cost overruns that you might need to cover too)  I'll let you stay at my house for free when you come out to Seattle to see the race....  BTW - if you rent a car when you come you will help pay for the Seahawks and Mariners stadiums - but I won't charge you the 18% or so lodging tax that also pays for the stadiums..
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2006, 05:32:49 PM »

That paragraph at the end is funny, Ken! laugh  This is why corporate welfare is absurd.  It makes the rich even richer while everyone else pays. Evil

As for the Sonics, I am surprised that the new owner wants to keep the team there.

Background: Clay Bennett, the Sonics' new principal owner, is an Oklahoman and helped the New Orleans Hornets move there temporarily after Hurricane Katrina.  The two-year agreement ends after this season.  Meanwhile, the Hornets have been well received in Oklahoma City with much larger crowds than they got in New Orleans.  It is then logical to assume that OKC would get its own team, with Bennett a part of it somehow.

Maybe this is all public relations to sooth the fans in Seattle... Roll Eyes

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Vivian
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2006, 09:47:10 PM »

Ken, great to hear from you!  Thanks for the input.  Isn't it sad how all of us have lost so much interest in something we so loved before?  But then that's how "little people" think.  Logical and honest, right?
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2006, 04:29:37 PM »

Hi Ken. Good post, and an interesting perspective.
 Vivian, I kinda regret that I used that "little people" phrase, because you folks are way too intelligent to have such a tag applied to you. Unfortunately, I don't think Baby Brian has the capability to understand that point. Sad
Dick

William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2006, 05:58:35 PM »

Vivian, I kinda regret that I used that "little people" phrase, because you folks are way too intelligent to have such a tag applied to you. Unfortunately, I don't think Baby Brian has the capability to understand that point.

Dick,

I took your phrase to mean those of us who aren't millionaires (and therefore below BF's notice).   Roll Eyes

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2006, 09:30:19 PM »

Dick, I interpreted it the same as Cheryl did.  We know we all have values and integrity, but we are "little people" because we are not millionaires!  Smile, please.   :)You are A-OK in my book!
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2006, 10:27:11 PM »

Thanks for letting me off the hook. The $$$ aspect was what I really meant. Grin

William James
sally
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2006, 11:09:57 PM »

I took the term 'little people' to mean anyone that valued racing as a sport, not as entertainment.  I think all of us here qualify as RACE fans.  That's why most of us are slowly losing interest in the former sport of stock car racing on a Nascar level.

Sally
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2007, 06:34:03 PM »

I took the term 'little people' to mean anyone that valued racing as a sport, not as entertainment.  I think all of us here qualify as RACE fans.  That's why most of us are slowly losing interest in the former sport of stock car racing on a Nascar level.

Will NASCAR drivers now insist on calling themselves "superstars" of "sports entertainment," like the WWE wrestlers? laugh

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Vivian
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2007, 09:34:33 PM »

See, Dick?  It turned out okay.  And you are okay in  my book.  On the serious side, I really don't think you could ever say anything that would upset us. 
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2007, 10:29:25 PM »

See, Dick?  It turned out okay.  And you are okay in  my book.  On the serious side, I really don't think you could ever say anything that would upset us. 
Idunno, kiddo, I really have something of a devious mind, sometimes. Grin

PS--ask Don if he can believe this one---The weather was so nice hear Saturday, I took my old Studebaker out for a spin. That almost never happens this time of year!

William James
Vivian
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2007, 02:19:55 AM »

Hey Dick, it was nice here too.  Don drove his old '35 a couple of days.  Fantastic for both of you!  BTW, he just bought an old '59 panel that he is going to rebuild.  A Chevrolet Apache. 

Better get back on topic before 'Mean Mommie' whips us!  Wink

I don't think there will be a track in the Seattle area....
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: