November 23, 2017, 01:56:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Racing 'Round Ohio (& surrounding states)  (Read 586 times)
super61
« on: December 23, 2006, 12:17:49 AM »

Well, it's that time of the year ( no races, no reruns, except Summer Shootout from Lowe's), we're all ready for the holidays and way ready for Speedweeks to begin!!!! I haven't been able to post in a while, (thanks for fixing that Lou!)

I started going through my favorite track and association websites, planning how I will spend next summer. Of course, the supermodified comes first, but some interesting things caught my eye. 

1. Lorain Speedway (South Amherst,Ohio) will be back open for the 2007 season. After closing in May of '06 ( pending litigation of a fan relatated death caused NASCAR to pull it's affiliation with the track at the beginning of the season), the previous promoter purchased the track and tried to put together a Thanksgiving weekend show. The car count was pitiful, but everyone was admitted free, and we got to see some racing to hold us over for a while.

2. Mansfield Motorsports Park (Mansfield, Ohio) will not run a weekly show this year, as Chris Mize and the IHRA are opening a new drag strip on the property. With all the talk of closing the last few years and the $17 million dollars in renovations to the oval facility, it just shocked me that they are going with special shows only. (Craftsman Trucks, Hoooters Pro Cup, CRA, IMSA, and USA Modifieds)

3.Lake Erie Speedway(some place in Pennsylvania by the lake!!!) will be back with a full weekly show in 2007. I have been there for some special events in the past. This is one of the nicest facilities..

4. Sandusky Speedway (Perkins Township, Ohio) will hold it's annual Hang Over Races on New Year's Day. Weather is not an issue. Last year the car count was 108 (yes 108, get up off the floor) and about 2200 people in the stands. I don't know of a promoter who would not give up a body part or two for a car count like that during the summer, let alone a cold snowy, winter day on the frozen shores of Lake Erie.

Finally, I would like to say what an honor it was to meet Johnny B at Berlin Speedway and Sandusky Speedway for his supermodied debut. He is a complete class act. Didn't want any attention or special recognition in the pits. The other drivers treated him as of the weekly competitors, not a NASCAR superstar.  It had been many years since I had the chance to talk with him (All-American 400, Nashville-1994). He is the same guy now as he was then, just someone who loves to race. His one comment about the horsepower in the supers vs. the truck was can't this truck go any faster?

Hope to see some of you around the racing world this year!!

Ken

Lou
Administrator
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2006, 01:52:04 AM »

Ken,

Mansfield made some recent announcement about some nice sounding ticket deal. One price (under $200) gets you a ticket to ALL of their special events in 2007. Sounded like a good deal.

No regular weekly shows? Hmmm, didn't know that.

We may get back to Erie for the USA race in 2007, maybe we can meet up.

Lou

Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2006, 06:08:52 PM »

Ken, thank you for the updates from the short tracks in your area.

108 cars for a winter night of racing?  In Ohio?  The promoter must be doing something right. Smiley

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2006, 07:11:35 PM »

Great post, Ken. I hope that we can meet up sometime, maybe at Mansfield.
Johnny B has always been one of my favorites. Seems like a great guy.
 And yes, Desmond, we Buckeyes are a little tougher than you Californians give us credit for. Grin Grin

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: