November 18, 2017, 02:59:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pit Road Speed to Be Electronically Timed  (Read 466 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: January 24, 2005, 02:17:00 PM »

From Jayski:  "Pit Road Speed to be electronically timed: Nextel Cup Series director John Darby says hardware for the pit road speeding system is being installed at racetracks and NASCAR hopes to have software perfected in time to use it at the Feb. 20 Daytona 500. NASCAR enforces speed limits on pit road to help protect crewmembers from being hit by cars. Teams have complained that the old monitoring system, which involved officials timing cars by hand with stopwatches, led to inconsistent and inaccurate enforcement. Darby says there wasn't anything wrong with the old system but NASCAR is changing at the teams' request. Under the old system, Darby says, officials had discretion to not penalize drivers who might have sped on pit road, for example, to avoid an accident. But with electronic monitoring, Darby says, officials have no choice but to make speeding penalties black and white, regardless of the circumstances.(USA Today)"

Hmm...now how will they ensure all those arbitrary and caprious calls on speeding for those they don't like?   :wink:   Will Rusty Wallace now breathe a huge sigh of relief?   :lol:

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2005, 05:35:49 PM »

"Baby Brian" can always hire computer hackers... :lol:

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
BAM24/25
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2005, 06:56:43 PM »

My question is - Are the speeds being recorded and kept?  If they are not being stored somewhere, a speed could be "overlooked" if the officials so desired and who would know?

You can't beat what you can't catch!"

Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2005, 07:03:37 PM »

I'm assuming it would be through their existing "Scoring and Timing" system, which right not is available to TV and all the teams I believe.  But, I'm sure that NASCAR could restrict this information if they wanted to and they probably will.

Cheryl
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: