November 25, 2017, 08:48:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: What did you think of the BGN broadcast from Milwaukee?  (Voting closed: July 07, 2004, 03:17:17 PM)
It was a very good broadcast - 3 (60%)
About average for Fox/FX - 2 (40%)
This was a terrible broadcast! - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 4

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rate the BROADCAST of the Milwaulkee Busch Race  (Read 962 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: June 27, 2004, 03:17:17 PM »

Let's us know how you think the broadcast team did with the Alan Kluwicki 250 from Milwaulkee Saturday Night.

Personally, I thought Phil and Johnny did and excellent job, but Rick Allen still comes across as clueless about racing.  To me, he's proof that a trained announcer who is not knowledgeable about the sport fails miserably.  On the other hand, Johnny who is not a trained speaker did a much better job because of his indepth knowledge of the sport.  Yeah, I admit I'm predjudiced about JB.   :wink:

Phil Parsons seems to be the one in control of the booth during truck broadcasts and this broadcast as well.  He and Ray Dunlap hold the broadcast together and make up for the gaffs and mistakes Allen makes.

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2004, 02:52:42 AM »

I tuned in late as we were watching the Arca race and didn't realize Johnny was in the booth until I recognized his voice.  He did a great job and I hope he is there every week if he is not racing.  He has such a soothing and relaxed voice and even when something is happening on the track he stays cool.  I like him.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2004, 12:04:39 PM »

Haha!  We watched the ARCA race first too!  Bad choice in my opinion since it was a pretty boring race, even on a short track.  We kept the Busch race in picture in picture and switched during commercials and then picked up it when the ARCA was done.  As Lou said, though, after about a half hour, we started falling asleep and went to bed.  Watched the end Sunday morning.  Then I went back and watched a bit of the pre-race.  I thought FX did a very good feature on Kyle Busch.  I know he's inherited the dislike of his brother from a few folks here, but I think he's a real nice kid and has a very level head on his shoulders for someone so young.

Cheryl
sally
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2004, 12:04:44 PM »

Unfortunately, with the VERY LATE starting time, I faded out during the middle of the race!  The same thing happened during the truck race.  So, What I heard of the broadcast was pretty good.  The more professional, low key attitude of this team is much better than the tower of babble.  And, no one spends most of the time either trying to sell souvenirs or reliving their glory days.
Sally
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2004, 01:55:57 PM »

Here's a good article I just found at Speedwaymedia.com via the Inside Groove about what a good job Phil Parsons and Johnny Benson did on the Busch broadcast Saturday night. The author makes some great points about how they covered the race compared to the current driver announcers:

http://www.speedwaymedia.com/Articles/04/062904Patterson.asp

Cheryl
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: