November 24, 2017, 11:15:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Well it's that time again to make a coice, I suppose  (Read 859 times)
Smallblock bored
« on: June 25, 2004, 04:04:27 AM »

For starters i'm blowing off rolling my windows up in my vehicle to write this as we here in buffal are getting a good soaking on thursday night. I have to take the garbage out as well. The rest of the nation seems to call it trash but if I were to call anything trash I would have to say the comparison about raod VS. oval is just that. Lets face it a great driver has the chance to show it on a road venue. Just look at how Jimmy Spencer does on these things after he shot his mouth off at the Glenn Target told to take a hike. (thats how i saw it) . Sure the tely tubby cov. might be the same from the duppa rest but ask yourself one question and do it honestly. Would you rather drive your nice car (or the one you really own) down the highway at break neck speed or would you rather have a chance to let loose all alone at your nearest state park up in the hills. Thats my opinion and i'm a stickin to it .....Tough luck
sally
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2004, 12:28:11 PM »

I love watching the road races!  You're right about giving the best drivers a chance to shine...not all horsepower and aero.  If Nascar insists on having a track in the northwest, seems another road course would be smart.  If it rains, they can brong out the rain tires and let them have at it!
Sally
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2004, 02:28:23 PM »

Quote from: "sally"
I love watching the road races!  You're right about giving the best drivers a chance to shine...not all horsepower and aero.  If Nascar insists on having a track in the northwest, seems another road course would be smart.  If it rains, they can brong out the rain tires and let them have at it!

Well, if they wanted a road course in the Northwest, they already have Portland, where the trucks used to race on few years ago.  Also Evergreen (which I think is a different track, but don't remember exactly where it is located).

As the road courses in Cup, I used to really love them, but that was back in the days when Rusty and Ricky dominated and were good for a head-to-head battle to the checkers (Sears Point 1989 is one of my favorite finishes at any track).  I've heard Rudd say that everyone else caught up to them about 10 years ago, and, to me, they've been pretty boring ever since.  Talk about a single-file parade!  Maybe it's cause Bruton decided to reconfigure Sears Point so much (to add more spectator areas), but there sure doesn't seem to be many places to pass like there used to be.  On opportunity to pass per lap (especially when the laps take so damn long) is not my idea of exciting.  Sorry...

Ron Fellows has been a joy to watch in the past few years and you couldn't help but root for an underdog, but I don't think he's running this weekend.  Man, that guy could outbrake anybody!  Personally, I don't care for Robby Gordon no matter how well he races on road courses.  

Also, with no respect intended to Vivian and Desmond, I really hate races that start so late in the day as this weekend's race (3:30 or 4:00).  It won't be over until well into suppertime for those of us back east.  Just messes up my whole day.   :cry:

Cheryl
sally
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2004, 05:08:19 PM »

Cheryl,  I agree about the late start times!  And, if Brian gets his way, it is only the beginning!    think a 10 AM start time would be great, as it would give me time to do other stuff before evening...guess those left coasters don't get going that early?  (No offense, you left coasters).
Sally
Smallblock bored
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2004, 07:33:16 PM »

Hey Cheryl were in the east? As for dinner time I try not to let sports rtun my time as I  most often go life my life and avoid any contact with media and such until I get to watch race in the peace and quite of the twilight. Will be at Pocono doing the wicked infield blast !!!!!!
Vivian
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2004, 08:00:38 PM »

Well, it is 11:55am here on the left coast and I have been into my work day for about an hour.  It is beautiful and all those mountains I can see when I drive into town with all the green trees and shrubs and flowers, etc just make it the right time of day for me.  Cheryl, I think you meant no "disrespect" rather than respect?  And I love it when they start later in the day cause it allows me to sleep in and watch my church service.  And the late ones do outnumber the early ones so you easterners have the most time friendly out of all of the races.   :wink:

Back to the real subject, I love the road courses.  I think even though the tracks are flat that the excitment of shifting, speeding, braking over and over and figuring the best and shortest distance around the track is just too cool.  Of course this is coming from someone who loves to drive stick shift vehicles on mountain curvy roads and it helps me relate more to the races.  I wish we had one or two more each year.  I do not like the so called "hired guns" because I think it is an insult to the regular driver and it never gives the regular driver the incentive to practice and do better when he has to go to a road course.  The open wheelers are good there because they are used to sliding it into the corners and seem to have so much better control due to their experience on dirt tracks in particular.  BTW, one of my favorite shirts that Don used to wear had a stock car on it and said "Dirt drivers slide it in deeper and come out harder".  For those of you who may kind of question that, no sex association is intended.   Smiley
And that is my opinion and 2 cents worth.    Cool
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2004, 08:08:21 PM »

You are correct, Vivian, I meant "no disrespect."  Sorry... :oops:

Love the saying on Don's shirt though.  That's a new one I haven't heard about before.   :lol:

Cheryl
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2004, 08:12:17 PM »

Quote from: "Smallblock bored"
Hey Cheryl were in the east? As for dinner time I try not to let sports rtun my time as I  most often go life my life and avoid any contact with media and such until I get to watch race in the peace and quite of the twilight. Will be at Pocono doing the wicked infield blast !!!!!!

Whoops!  Forgot to answer you, Mike!  We're in Maryland.  And we pretty much have to let supper slide on late race days as well.   And nobody better not call during a race either!   Smiley  

Cheryl
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: