November 17, 2017, 08:39:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Michael Waltrip Racing expands into the ASA Series  (Read 592 times)
Lou
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« on: June 21, 2004, 07:46:59 PM »

Here's an article about MW Racing moving into the ASA Series as part of his "driver development program". Is he going to save that series from imminent disaster?

http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=156915&FS=ASA

Driver Development Programs, Driver Diversity Programs, A-B-C Programs, A-A-B-C Programs, geesh, pretty soon we'll be having a stupid draft like the NFL does for teams to select their drivers. And they will probably air it live and tape-delay a Martinsville race  :shock:

Big money keeps it up and racefans will be sitting around talking about the "good old days" when there actually used to be independent drivers. The days before mega-teams were weaved throughout every racing series in the country, back when a driver's skills were actually important.

Lou "The Original Curmudgeon" Lauer

Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2004, 04:37:51 PM »

And my B.W. character would probably be the first pick by Roush Racing and would refuse to report because he doesn't want to move to Charlotte to drive a Ford :lol:

Seriously, that's the way of all sports today.  Children are being pushed into organized sports--and pressured to specialize in a sport--at earlier ages than ever.  Everyone wants to believe that they can be a superstar besides the great odds against it.  Even US News and World Report devoted a cover story to it about two months ago.

When these kids don't succeed, they suffer from burnout.  Some say that dropout rates from organized sports is as high as 80 percent!

Auto racing should not look like Little League, but NASCAR will probably allow it anyway, because they're chasing the other sports :roll:

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2004, 04:44:41 PM »

Quote from: "Desmond"
Seriously, that's the way of all sports today.  Children are being pushed into organized sports--and pressured to specialize in a sport--at earlier ages than ever.  Everyone wants to believe that they can be a superstar besides the great odds against it. When these kids don't succeed, they suffer from burnout.  Some say that dropout rates from organized sports is as high as 80 percent!

I agree with you that some parents are pushing their kids too hard to be the next Jeff Gordon or whatever.  I don't know if you watched any of the episodes of The Drive or not, but Michelle Thierrault's father appeared to be a classic example.  

Cheryl
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: