November 17, 2017, 06:46:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Marty Smith to ESPN?  (Read 1334 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: November 03, 2006, 03:13:38 PM »

I'm listening to the replay of Jimmie Johnson's show on XM right now.  Marty Smith is the co-host and they just mentioned that he is going to work for ESPN next year.  They really weren't clear about what his role will be, but did say people were writing him about how he just "disappeared from NASCAR on-line," and he did state is now off that site since announcing his new deal with ESPN.  So it sounds like he'll be working on some of ESPN's NASCAR web stuff next year.  Frankly, I'm just relieved the rumors that he was going to be a pit reporter on the TV broadcasts have turned out to be false.  

Guy still represents the hip, young-punk demographic that I can't stand.

Johnson and Chad Knaus are now "grilling" Smith about him leaving Turner Sports kind of like he would do to drivers and crew chiefs and that is really funny.   :lol:

Edit:  Okay, they just went off the air and Smith said "my job will mainly be TV..." but something about the web site too, so I have no idea what he'll actually be doing.  Possibly that new nightly show on ESPN hosted by Brad Daughety.   :?   Also, Johnson and Knaus were commenting on the ESPN pit reporter, Jamie Little's, looks.  I have no idea who she is, but it sounded like they thought she was very attractive.  Let's hope she's also a competent reporter...  

Cheryl
sally
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2006, 10:31:05 PM »

I have a feeling that competence is that last thing they're worrying about.

Sally
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 11:39:59 PM »

Cheryl, do you mean the same Marty Smith who writes for Nascar.com or somebody like that? :?

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2006, 06:16:27 PM »

Who is this marty smith is he the 1 guy i'm thinking of? Or is he 1 of the current pit reporters?
sally
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2006, 07:50:20 PM »

Marty Smith had a regular colunm at nascar.com.  He's a tall, red-headed guy with punky spiky hair.  He's also the one that did those totally obnoxious Nesthell ads where he yelled "JOOON-YER:.
Sally
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2006, 08:00:59 PM »

Quote from: "sally"
Marty Smith had a regular colunm at nascar.com.  He's a tall, red-headed guy with punky spiky hair.  He's also the one that did those totally obnoxious Nesthell ads where he yelled "JOOON-YER:.
Sally

Oh yeah, I know who you mean now, and I agree---Obnoxiuos, very obnoxiuos.

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2006, 01:55:06 AM »

I thought that's who it was but i wasn't sure so i thought i'd ask.

I wasn't sure if it was him or the other guy who works for nbc and tnt and the speed channel.

Isn't his name marty snyder.
Lou
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2006, 07:21:51 PM »

Quote from: "Bryan Blanton"
Isn't his name marty snyder.

yes

Benson23Fan
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2006, 08:09:15 PM »

Being 22 I can say that their attempts to appeal to the younger generation don't work... at least with myself. I never sat through an entire episode of NASCAR Nation (either version), I have barely watched Inside Nextel Cup since Allen and Johnny left and I frequently watched Speed News yet I have never sat down and watched The Speed Report yet. Maybe it's just me...
sally
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2006, 11:04:12 PM »

Judging from the overall ratings for the races this year, I don't think the 18 - 34 age group is the only one that they're missing.

Sally
Vivian
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2006, 09:19:08 PM »

I am still confused.  Marty Snider is which one?  The redhead who wrote for Nascar.com?  Marty Smith is the one who used to be on pit road sometimes?  And which one was it that said "Joooonnerrrrr"?

Somebody, please clarify for me, please...... :?
Benson23Fan
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2006, 11:14:09 PM »

Marty Snyder is on pitroad for NBC/TNT while Marty Smith wrote for NASCAR.com. Marty Snyder also contributes live videos to NASCAR.com but thats beside the point and will probably confuse everyone further.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2006, 01:48:08 PM »

Actually the pit reporter spells his name "Snider."  I know because I mispelled it once in a review and some family member of his wrote to correct me.   :shock:

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2006, 10:05:32 PM »

By Golly, I think I have it.......finally! :smt045
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2006, 05:20:18 PM »

Marty Smith has indeed joined ESPN.  His debut was on Monday's Cold Pizza, which actually airs on ESPN2.  It was a discussion of NASCAR news and issues which is on every Monday.  Previously, the network had spoken to David Poole of the Charlotte Observer and Tribune's Ed Hinton, among others.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: