November 17, 2017, 06:46:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking at Ratings  (Read 690 times)
sally
« on: October 29, 2006, 05:56:58 PM »

Someone else is taking a look at the sagging ratings.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061029/SPORTS09/610290398/1041

Sally
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2006, 03:03:20 AM »

How about the sagging attendence at todays Atlanta race?
 How can NBC be blamed for low ratings? "75 million" Nascar fans know there is a race on every Sunday. As one of the "75 million" I know to look in USA Today every Friday for TV times and to sometimes double check the local paper or internet. Does not matter to me if NBC promotes the race or not, I don't watch any NBC shows yet know when to tune in on Sunday.

I tuned in to watch a Nationwide race and all I got was Danica.
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2006, 03:11:00 AM »

Heres something else I notice especially around chase time. Monday morning everyone at work is talking about the Buffalo Bills, New York Giants and the Yankees. I can not remember showing up for work or at a job site on a Monday and hearing anyone discuss an auto race and I work with some Nascar fans. Coworkers who know I am an auto racing fan never come to me and ask about the race or chase yet these same folks who know I HATE football ask if I saw the game last night and proceed to bore the #### out of me with details.

I tuned in to watch a Nationwide race and all I got was Danica.
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2006, 03:58:58 PM »

Quote from: "drpep (brian)"
Heres something else I notice especially around chase time. Monday morning everyone at work is talking about the Buffalo Bills, New York Giants and the Yankees. I can not remember showing up for work or at a job site on a Monday and hearing anyone discuss an auto race and I work with some Nascar fans. Coworkers who know I am an auto racing fan never come to me and ask about the race or chase yet these same folks who know I HATE football ask if I saw the game last night and proceed to bore the #### out of me with details.

Good point. I will say that those folks around here who are aware that I am a racing fan do bring it up, but only if they are race fans too.

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2006, 06:27:38 PM »

75 million fans?  Are you kidding?  If there were that many, the TV ratings would be way higher than they are now, and so would the buzz around the races.  Certainly, there is none here. The Chase stories are on inside pages of the sports section of the newspapers every week, while some filler story about college football, the NFL, or even horse racing is on the front.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Vivian
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2006, 09:19:38 PM »

I posted this at another thread, but thought it would fit here also.

Ratings are down for several reasons, imo.

1. Veteran fans like us dislike the way the tv coverage is handled and the bias shown by the announcers and producers. Throw in Nascar's bias also.

2. Some fans prefer football and choose to watch that instead this time of year, not sure what they are doing prior to football season.

3. Some are leaving due to their driver not being in the chase. (Although my driver is not in the chase, I am not watching all the time due to #1 reason rather than that. A true, veteran fan would never stop watching their sport for that reason, IMO.)

4. Casual fans have drifted away because they have found other 'hip' interests now.

There are probably more reasons, but my mind isn't bringing them to the top right now.
sally
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2006, 10:29:29 PM »

Final numbers are in for Atlanta.

Final Atlanta TV ratings up 2.1% NBC's broadcast of last Sunday's Bass Pro Shops 500 NASCAR Nextel Cup race at Atlanta Motor Speedway earned a final Nielsen Media Research rating of 4.8 and a 10 market share, Street & Smith's SportsBusiness Daily reports. The rating is 2.1% higher than the 4.7 the race earned in 2005.(SceneDaily.com), see my TV Ratings page for the 2006 chart and past news.(11-3-2006

They're up, but not by much.  I wouldn't brag too much if I were Nascar.

Sally
sally
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2006, 12:14:51 PM »

Good think Nascar gloated about the ratings a week ago....because they're down again.  From That's Racing:

After rising for just the fourth time this season the week before, TV ratings for last weekend’s Nextel Cup race at Texas Motor Speedway fell again.
The race got a 4.3 rating on NBC, down 16 percent from last season's race, which got a 5.1, according to Nielsen Media Research. The Busch race, however, was up 17 percent over 2005.

Sally
cowboy271
Grizzled Veteran

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2006, 07:28:18 AM »

I've pretty much became a football fan again.  I've watched way too many minutes of racing over the last fifteen years or so, but then I don't freak if I miss a game or certainly not a race.  It's sorta sad to me.  Kind of like when the wife comes in the house grinning impishly...."What you gonna be doing the next couple hours?".....I'm going fishing, boating, but I sure ain't gonna hang around here :oops:

I'm keeping with NASCAR's theme.."Idiot of Tomorrow" so Speedcouch needs a new resident idiot.
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2006, 03:59:38 PM »

Quote from: "cowboy271"
I've pretty much became a football fan again.  I've watched way too many minutes of racing over the last fifteen years or so, but then I don't freak if I miss a game or certainly not a race.  It's sorta sad to me.  Kind of like when the wife comes in the house grinning impishly...."What you gonna be doing the next couple hours?".....I'm going fishing, boating, but I sure ain't gonna hang around here :oops:

I am sure that there is a really good response to that in my little brain somewhere,...I just have not found it quite yet! But I'm working on it. :-D  :-D

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: