November 19, 2017, 01:30:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DID I SEE A BUNCH OF EMPTY SEATS AT ATLANTS YESTERDAY??  (Read 944 times)
old hot rodder
All-Star

« on: October 30, 2006, 05:57:18 PM »

It sure looked like it to me, although I only watched a few laps early on and then the last 40 or so. Hard for me to believe that Atlanta would not sell out. Maybe the Nascar bubble has burst. AWWW< gee Whizz. :lol:

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Benson23Fan
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2006, 06:37:57 PM »

There's been empty seats at nearly every trip to Atlanta since 2000. Infact there has more empty seats then what what there was yesterday. The southeastern tracks such as Atlanta, Darlington, Charlotte, Rockingham and even Daytona have had a difficult time selling out for a few years now.
Vivian
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2006, 09:22:55 PM »

Looked like there were many empty seats.  TV ain't the only one losing fan attendance, IMO....
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2006, 09:54:09 PM »

Quote from: "Benson23Fan"
There's been empty seats at nearly every trip to Atlanta since 2000. Infact there has more empty seats then what what there was yesterday. The southeastern tracks such as Atlanta, Darlington, Charlotte, Rockingham and even Daytona have had a difficult time selling out for a few years now.

I guess I didn't realize that.Boy if they don't sell out Atlanta and Charlotte, I wonder why they made such a big deal about Darlington having two races, (as I recall, part of the argument was that Darlington didn't sell out).

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Benson23Fan
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2006, 05:08:29 AM »

More likely because Darlington and Rockingham only have 70 or 80 thousand seats while Atlanta and Charlotte have over 130,000 seats. So when Darlington can't sell out 70 thousand seats it kind of sticks out worse.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2006, 01:18:36 PM »

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the Southern 500 always sold out.  Granted Rockingham and Atlanta didn't always sell out, but part of the problem for "spring" and fall races there has always been the weather.  Give those tracks late spring or summer dates and they'd sell out.

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2006, 06:27:22 PM »

Quote from: "Cheryl"
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the Southern 500 always sold out.  Granted Rockingham and Atlanta didn't always sell out, but part of the problem for "spring" and fall races there has always been the weather.  Give those tracks late spring or summer dates and they'd sell out.

Ideally, the schedule would have six weeks off or so after the Daytona 500 in February, then run nearly all the remaining races between the beginning of April and the end of September, with perhaps two races in October.

But, of course, this will not happen.  This would force a reduction in the schedule, which no one in NASCAR wants.  And there's another problem; not only are some of the race tracks with the most passionate fans saddled with some of the worst dates, but the prime summer dates are taken by tracks in the Northeast and Midwest, and many of those left are in the big cities (LA, Dallas, Chicago, Kansas City, Miami, maybe NYC soon).

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2006, 06:31:12 PM »

Quote from: "Desmond"
Ideally, the schedule would have six weeks off or so after the Daytona 500 in February, then run nearly all the remaining races between the beginning of April and the end of September, with perhaps two races in October.

Ideally for whom???  Why would any fan want a 6-week lull between Daytona and the rest of the season?  Personally, they could race 50 weeks out of the year and I'd be happy.   :-D   Especially, if that would give race dates back to the competitive tracks like Rockingham, Darlington, and North Wilkesboro.

Cheryl
sally
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2006, 06:46:29 PM »

AMEN!
Vivian
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2006, 10:06:13 PM »

Cheryl hit it square on the head.  I agree totally.

they could race 50 weeks out of the year and I'd be happy.

However, it would have to be racing, not just a "show".  And we know that real racing has become passe.
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2006, 02:53:02 AM »

TV ratings were up. Must be everyone stayed home to watch.

I tuned in to watch a Nationwide race and all I got was Danica.
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2006, 05:39:29 PM »

Quote from: "Cheryl"
Ideally for whom???  Why would any fan want a 6-week lull between Daytona and the rest of the season?  Personally, they could race 50 weeks out of the year and I'd be happy.   :-D   Especially, if that would give race dates back to the competitive tracks like Rockingham, Darlington, and North Wilkesboro.

I was thinking of the weather conditions in that part of the country at the time.  In February and March, the best weather is in California and Florida.  So maybe California Speedway stays on the schedule early in the season and Homestead gets moved there.  IndyCar is at Homestead in March.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: