November 21, 2017, 11:12:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NBC Finding Rollbar Padding  (Read 1543 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: October 30, 2006, 02:23:29 PM »

Not sure what I think of NBC's production truck reviewing the video and finding the shot of R. Gordon throwing his roll-bar padding on the track to get a caution. And then having Dave Burns be the one sent to confront Gordon about it. Like he's gonna admit it on National TV. On the other hand, I DO agree with what Jeff Burton said about NASCAR DQ'ing the guy who did it. But as soon as the words were out of his mouth, I said "NASCAR will never inspect all the cars" which would have been a simple thing to do. But we all know, NASCAR often likes to keep their head on the sand.

On one hand I'm glad NBC took the initiative to find the video before they went off the air, but it seems like all the networks have been working hard to influence things in racing the last few years and I don't like that thought. Just like NBC focusing on Burton's loose hood pins last week. I don't think TV has the right to materially affect anything in the race.

If they happen to see something, fine, but don't harp over and over about it until the sanctioning body is forced to act.

On the other hand, I think confronting Gordon was just too over the top. Too much like tabloid TV. Was the producer hoping Robby would just confess or maybe punch out Burns for dogging him about it? That would sure raise their ratings, wouldn't it?

All I can say is it will be REAL interesting to see if NASCAR acts on the proof though. My prediction is that had it been one of the golden boys, nothing would be done. It'll be easier to penalize someone so far down in the points. Unfortunately it will just add to the conspiracies that they pick on R. Gordon.  In this case the "video" shows a penalty is justified IMHO.

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2006, 03:51:55 PM »

Cheryl, you are arguing this case in a very lawyer like fashion, ( and that is intended as a compliment), but I doubt that there will be much action taken by Nastycar on this deal. Besides, it would be easy to keep some "extra" padding in the car to have in case of emergency, and thus foil the inspection. Not that any racer would ever do such a thing!! :-D
 From my standpoint, it was good to see Jeff B get so worked up. He does have a passion about him for the sport.

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2006, 06:34:56 PM »

Quote from: "old hot rodder"
From my standpoint, it was good to see Jeff B get so worked up. He does have a passion about him for the sport.

We need more people like Jeff Burton in today's NASCAR.  He is well-spoken and tries to make a difference.

Also, give NBC credit for pursuing the story.  With the time for the post-race limited by an upcoming program (Football Night in America), they could have easily skipped over it.  But they didn't. Cheesy

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2006, 06:51:55 PM »

Cheryl, you are arguing this case in a very lawyer like fashion, ( and that is intended as a compliment),

Agh.... :oops:   No offense, but I never want to sound like a lawyer!   :lol:

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2006, 09:38:38 PM »

My take on this?  Cheryl, you put up some good points.  As did Dick and Des agreed with Dick on what we need in outspoken drivers.  Great point!

Okay, I am being very objective here.  Although it did look like it was thrown out of Robby's car in one respect, it also looked like it could have been hit by his car.  So, IMO, too inconclusive for Nascar to penalize.  (Yes, I know some are disagreeing with this statement.)

However, Robby is not one of their favorites (I like him sorta) so they will scrutinize it more than they would it it had been one of their chosen ones, which means they may penalize due to who he is although it was inconclusive.  (disagreeers here, too)

As far as NBC went, I have a major problem with that for the following reason.  Seems like earlier there was a debris caution (we didn't get to see the debris then but later on VL I believe they showed it) to benefit one of the favorites (who is one of my favs also) and there was chuckling in the booth about that one because that was just what a certain driver needed.  It was like they knew it had come out of a car but they were keeping that  little (big) secret in the closet and then just shuffled on to something else.  Now, THAT is what I object to.  The blatent favoritism shown by the broadcast team.  

Someone lambasted NBC on Wind Tunnel by phone about NBC doing what they did.  Dave Despain made some good points.  But the fact still remains, people agree or disagree mostly because of who the driver is, and not necessarily with objectiveness.  

Did seem a bit tabloidish, IMO, just like Cheryl said.  However, (there is that word again Shocked  ) seems to me that people these days seem to want that kind of stuff on tv, what with all the reality shows, so it all comes down to demand of the product.  JMO
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2006, 09:50:43 PM »

Quote from: "Cheryl"
Cheryl, you are arguing this case in a very lawyer like fashion, ( and that is intended as a compliment),

Agh.... :oops:   No offense, but I never want to sound like a lawyer!   :lol:

Cheryl

OK, be that way, but I really did mean it as a compliment. Cheesy

PS  BOY O BOY do I have a long way to go to get another little blue helmet! :-D

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
sally
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2006, 11:36:33 PM »

I agree with you, Cheryl and Vivain (I think?).  If TV is going to show debris to try and get someone in trouble, then they should show EVERY bit of debris...but that might make Nascar look foolish.  I also think their harping on Burton's hood pins was over the top, too.  As Cheryl said, it's more as if they were trying to influence what happens on the track.  Investigating things is fine, but you have to do ALL the questions, not just the ones that suit you.  I didn't think the video was as conclusive as Cheryl does, so I think it would be hard to penalize someone...even Robby, as much as Nascar doesn't seem to like him.  Since the suspect debris was rolling down the track off the racing line, how critical was throwing that caution?  HEY!  Maybe Nextell wanted that Cingular car trapped a lap down?

Sally
sally
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2006, 12:35:32 PM »

David Poole had a good take on the whole situation.

http://www.thatsracin.com/mld/thatsracin/15890153.htm

Sally
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2006, 01:57:56 PM »

Excellent article!  Thanks for posting the link, Sally!

Poole has gotten so he seems less likely to speak out against NA$CAR, but in this case, he said what so many of the fans are thinking.   :smt023

I hadn't even thought about the conspiracy that Next-hell wouldn't want to see the Cingular car win the championship.  Boy am I naive...

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2006, 06:21:36 PM »

Once again, someone makes a sensical call for change in NASCAR.  And once again, I'm afraid, it will be rejected. Sad

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Vivian
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2006, 10:03:10 PM »

Great article.  Thanks for that link, Sally.

It is truly sad that BF does not adhere to some of the suggestions by certain media like David and that he will not listen to input by true, veteran fans.  But with his money, he can play his marbles any way he wants and the hell with everyone else.  JMO....
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: