November 19, 2017, 01:30:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ratings for martinsville  (Read 414 times)
sally
« on: October 27, 2006, 09:39:01 PM »

NBC's broadcast of last Sunday's Subway 500 NASCAR Nextel Cup race at Martinsville Speedway earned a final Nielsen Media Research rating of 4.1 and a 9 market share, Street and Smith's SportsBusiness Daily reports.

The rating is 13.6 percent lower than the 4.7 NBC earned for the race last year.

Sally
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 04:40:31 PM »

How do you think that will translate into revenue for Nascar? I think they are running into a problem which some of you folks predicted 3 years ago, namely, a loss of interest on the part of those "fans" who are basically just interested in 1 or 2 drivers who did not make the chase. Could be wrong, but if, for instance, Biffle or Newman was your guy, why bother watching now?

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
sally
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 07:17:18 PM »

I agree that is a big part of it.  TV's  insistance on following 'chasers only' doesn't keep anyone's interest if their guy isn't in it.  I also think that a lot of those 'new' fans have already found something different to do.  Face it...to be a Nascar fan you have to be willing to hang in there for 36 races, well beyond the attention span of many younger viewers.  It also seems that many of those '75 million fans' aren't as interested in who wins the champioship as Nascar hoped.  Gimmicks aren't holding attention.

Sally
Vivian
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2006, 09:16:52 PM »

Ratings are down for several reasons, imo.  

1. Veteran fans like us dislike the way the tv coverage is handled and the bias shown by the announcers and producers.  Throw in Nascar's bias also.

2. Some fans prefer football and choose to watch that instead this time of year, not sure what they are doing prior to football season.

3. Some are leaving due to their driver not being in the chase.  (Although my driver is not in the chase, I am not watching all the time due to #1 reason rather than that.  A true, veteran fan would never stop watching their sport for that reason, IMO.)

4. Casual fans have drifted away because they have found other 'hip' interests now.

There are probably more reasons, but my mind isn't bringing them to the top right now.   :-D
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: