November 18, 2017, 03:04:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Points Under Old System  (Read 2422 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: October 23, 2006, 04:00:49 PM »

After Johnson's win yesterday, I was just wondering how close the points would be between he and Kenseth under the old system.  Dennis Michelson of stockcarpitpass.com is keeping a running total and sent me this information:

Classic Points

1) #17-Matt Kenseth, 4583
 2) #48-Jimmie Johnson, 4490, 93 back
 3) #29-Kevin Harvick, 4253, 330 back
 4) #11-Denny Hamlin, 4119, 464 back
 5) #20-Tony Stewart, 4108, 475 back
 6) #31-Jeff Burton, 4107, 476 back
 7) #6-Mark Martin, 4068, 515 back
8 #8-Dale Earnhardt Jr., 4067, 516 back
 9) #5-Kyle Busch, 4066, 517 back
 10) #9-Kasey Kahne, 4063, 520 back
 11) #24-Jeff Gordon, 4018, 565 back
 12) #99-Carl Edwards, 3862, 721 back

So we'd still have a pretty close battle between Kenseth and Johnson even without the Chase.  I'm hoping that it comes down to those two in the current points system, so whoever actually wins won't simply be the beneficiary of the reset of points after Richmond.  I'm still thinking it will be Kenseth.

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 06:03:21 PM »

Quote from: "Cheryl"
So we'd still have a pretty close battle between Kenseth and Johnson even without the Chase.  I'm hoping that it comes down to those two in the current points system, so whoever actually wins won't simply be the beneficiary of the reset of points after Richmond.  I'm still thinking it will be Kenseth.

I agree, although if Johnson wins the title, I will feel even better emotionally.  His time has definitely come. Cheesy

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 02:43:59 PM »

The really interesting point here, I think, is the move by Tony Stewart in 6 races, from 11th to 5th. HMMM. Cheesy

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 03:39:31 PM »

Quote from: "old hot rodder"
The really interesting point here, I think, is the move by Tony Stewart in 6 races, from 11th to 5th. HMMM. Cheesy

Yeah, I noticed that too.  Proves another phallacy under this system.  I think in past years, some other drivers locked out of the Chase would've moved back into the top ten under the old points.  Bet their sponsors would rather they be on the stage at the Waldorf even if they were too far out to win the championship.  Granted, TS will get the "first loser" award just as JG did last year, but it's still not the same IMHO.

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 05:24:34 PM »

Quote from: "old hot rodder"

Yeah, I noticed that too.  Proves another phallacy under this system.  I think in past years, some other drivers locked out of the Chase would've moved back into the top ten under the old points.  Bet their sponsors would rather they be on the stage at the Waldorf even if they were too far out to win the championship.  Granted, TS will get the "first loser" award just as JG did last year, but it's still not the same IMHO.

Cheryl

Yeah, and remember how Nascar acted so peeved that Jeff went to Europe or somewhere and didm't show up at the banquet to collect his crummy $1,000,000. (for him)!!
  I thought that was so funny, I mean Nascar is gona tell a 4 time champion what to do?? Give me a break. :lol:

William James
Vivian
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2006, 08:31:53 PM »

Interesting point for sure.  And I know I am probably sounding negative, but what does it really matter?  To me, Matt Kenseth was the Champion of the regular race season.  And no matter who gets that trophy and sits at the head table, it will not be a true championship, IMO.  It would serve them right if Tony or whoever gets 11th does not show up this year either.

Of course if Nascar had any class at all, they would present 11th with a big trophy along with the check for finishing 1st in his class.  JMO, again...

Isn't tht what it is all about?  Classes in Wrasscar now? :-D

Chery, you can reprimand me now...Thanks Wink
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2006, 07:59:57 PM »

I haven't seen this week's "classic points" yet, but since Johnson gained 15 points on Kenseth, I'd say he's only 78 points behind now.  To me, that's still a good points battle.  Hell, Hooters has a true playoff and the leader is stomping everyone in just 4 races so far.  He has almost a 200 point lead at this point.  So this year, NASCAR would have a better points battle IF we were under the old system.

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2006, 10:02:25 PM »

I'm kind of anxious to see how much Tony has moved up. My hunch is that under the old system, Tony might be making it interesting, but maybe he started just too far back, especially since Matt and Jimmie were hot on his heels at Atlanta. :?

William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2006, 01:33:23 PM »

Below is a link to Dennis' Classic Points after Atlanta. What's becoming real interesting is that Stewart is posed to move up to 3rd, since he's only 30 points behind Harvick in this points scheme:

http://www.stockcarpitpass.com/inside20061031c.html

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2006, 03:38:18 PM »

Below is a link to Dennis' Classic Points after Atlanta. What's becoming real interesting is that Stewart is posed to move up to 3rd, since he's only 30 points behind Harvick in this points scheme:

http://www.stockcarpitpass.com/inside20061031c.html

Cheryl
interesting indeed. He is too far back to threaten for the cup with just 3 races left, but to go from 11th to 3rd, maybe, is darn impressive.

William James
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2006, 06:12:10 PM »

Another reason the Chase doesn't work... :x

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Vivian
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2006, 09:56:27 PM »

But don't forget, we still  have 7 drivers who can win the championship.  Whether they deserve to or not.   :roll:   Yes, that was very sarcastic.  :twisted:
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2006, 02:34:14 PM »

Again, it's interesting that Johnson is only 35 points behind Kenseth in under the old points system:

http://stockcarpitpass.com/inside20061108b.html

So hopefully we'll have a close battle under the real points AND the manufactured system.

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2006, 04:22:58 PM »

The gains Tony has made are really beyond belief. He is HOT!  BUT, the point is indeed made, we just need racing, not contrived junk. JMHO, as Smoke's favorite fan would say. :-D  :-D

William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2006, 04:50:20 PM »

Yeah, but he's still over 300 behind even in the classic points, so he still wouldn't be a contender for the championship.

Looks like it's down to Kenseth and Johnson (under either system).

Cheryl
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: