November 19, 2017, 01:29:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Racially Insensitive?  (Read 916 times)
sally
« on: October 19, 2006, 04:36:34 PM »

I find this very interesting.

http://www.thatsracin.com/mld/thatsracin/15797623.htm

I saw that show, and all I heard Ray say was that he questioned Nascar's assertion that they had a 10 % Hispanic fan base.  Since I question Nascar stats all the time (the infamous 75 million fans), I don't know why this would be insensitive.  Could someone enlighten me?  Or is it that Nascar is not happy with anyone questioning their supposed numbers?

sally
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 04:57:52 PM »

Quote from: "sally"
Or is it that Nascar is not happy with anyone questioning their supposed numbers?

More like NA$CAR is unhappy with anyone questioning them on anything...And we all know the SPEED channel is pretty much in NA$CAR's back pocket.  If I were Dunlap, I'd make sure I never appear on that stupid show (or anything like it) again.   Of course, everyone knows it's NA$CAR's playground and they get to determine who plays in it.  But still, it sounds to me like an awfully defensive stance by a sanctioning body that feels everyone should just blindly accept anything they claim.

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 05:57:27 PM »

Pardon my stupidity, but what exactly did he say? And if it was so insensitive, why weren't the remarks edited? I guess I just don't get it. :oops:

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Vivian
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 08:42:09 PM »

Why wasn't Mikey suspended also?  He, Mikey, says, IMO, many things that are biased and insensitive.  JMO
sally
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 10:35:50 PM »

Apparently there was some discussion about editing the remarks, but the decision was made not to.  (Guess they couldn't have been THAT bad, eh?)  When he questioned Nascar's 10% stat, he invited mikey to '...just look at the crowd here, it's certainly not 10% Hispanic".  Then Mikey said it would be when they got to Texas and Phoenix, and Homestead.  I really don't see any problem except not taking Nascar's numbers as gospel.

Sally
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 11:20:34 PM »

It rather sounds like Mikey made a reasonable point for a change.  :roll:

William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2006, 02:36:44 PM »

Here's what's on Jayski today:

"SPEED reporter suspended; apologizes for remarks: SPEED officials have confirmed that reporter Ray Dunlap has been suspended one race for inappropriate on-air remarks. Dunlap has been a pit reporter for Craftsman Truck Series races at the network since 2004. Dunlap will not appear on during Saturday's broadcast of the Kroger 200 at Martinsville Speedway. The remarks were made during a taping of the network's show "Trading Paint." It was reported that Dunlap made disparaging remarks toward Hispanics when he and Cup driver Michael Waltrip were talking about minority interest in the sport during the show, which was taped. "As a guest on 'Trading Paint,' you try to be edgy, controversial and entertaining," Dunlap said in an e-mail statement. "In a failed attempt at humor, I obviously crossed the line between funny and insensitive. For that, I am deeply sorry. "I am a huge supporter of NASCAR's diversity initiative and am very proud to work in today's more progressive garage area. I look forward to seeing the fans at the race in Atlanta." SPEED did not comment on the nature or content of Dunlap's remarks in an e-mail statement from SPEED spokesman Erik Arneson. "Ray Dunlap has been suspended for one race (Martinsville) for making comments on-air that the company found inappropriate," the statement read.(SceneDaily.com)(10-20-2006)"

I think the problem is that shows like Trading Paint and previously Pit Bulls try to hard to be "edgy" and create controversy.  Personally, I doubt Dunlap said anything that bad, but NA$CAR is just overly sensitive and the SPEED channel reacted to that.  Of course their media darling, Waltrip, can say and get away with a lot more.  

The whole thing is just a shame because I know Ray loves racing and I'm sure it will be painful for him to miss the truck race at Martinsville over something like this.

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2006, 05:29:41 PM »

It's as if Speed Channel wanted this to happen, and that's too bad. :twisted:

By the way, does anyone know who will replace Dunlap on the pre-race show or in the pit area?

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2006, 05:48:31 PM »

Quote from: "Desmond"
By the way, does anyone know who will replace Dunlap on the pre-race show or in the pit area?

Nope, but I'd assume one of the NBC pit reporters will step in this weekend.  My pick would be Matt Yocum or Dave Burns.  If they had to keep it in the family, and stuck with someone on the SPEED/Fox payroll, it might be Ralph Sheehen, who has worked the pits for ASA and NASCAR before.  Then there's always Mark Garrow or Doug Rice of PRN.  Since MRN is doing the Martinsville races, they would be available for TV.

Cheryl
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2006, 12:15:50 AM »

I haven't seen this in any newspapers. I wonder if Nascar is happy that an announcer who supposedly said something wrong did not make the papers or dispappointed that it missed the papers while baseball and football announcers who shoot their mouths off do. Seems to me this shows Nascar is still not up there with the big stick and ball sports.

I tuned in to watch a Nationwide race and all I got was Danica.
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2006, 06:21:48 PM »

Quote from: "Cheryl"
Nope, but I'd assume one of the NBC pit reporters will step in this weekend.  My pick would be Matt Yocum or Dave Burns.  If they had to keep it in the family, and stuck with someone on the SPEED/Fox payroll, it might be Ralph Sheehen, who has worked the pits for ASA and NASCAR before.  Then there's always Mark Garrow or Doug Rice of PRN.  Since MRN is doing the Martinsville races, they would be available for TV.

Krista Voda was the pre-race host, and Adam Alexander took the opening on pit road.  As Cheryl predicted, he is from MRN.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2006, 02:33:37 PM »

On another board, I read a comment from a lady who said that she was one-half Hispanic and that she was highly offended by the remark. Apparently part of it was the reference to those Hispanics working at the track.
 Still, it seems rather over sensitive to me, but then I'm not half Hispanic either.  Shocked

William James
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: