November 23, 2017, 06:40:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Five questions with ... Dr. Jerry Punch  (Read 470 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: October 19, 2006, 01:04:41 PM »

This is from the Sporting News.  I cut and pasted it because it looks like you have to register to read it:

'Posted: October 18, 2006

Greg Engle
Sporting News NASCAR Wire Service

Dr. Jerry Punch was once a familiar voice to millions of NASCAR fans. He joined ESPN as a pit reporter for NASCAR races in 1984 and later became the host of ESPN's NASCAR Busch Series telecasts. In 2001, he became host of ESPN's NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series coverage. He was part of the Emmy Award-winning broadcast crew that has covered the Indianapolis 500 for 17 consecutive years.

A native of North Carolina, Punch worked as a mechanic and driver in high school and college, when he was also a walk-on, backup quarterback for North Carolina State. Punch received his medical degree from Wake Forest in 1979.

Punch will be back in the broadcast booth for ESPN in 2007 when the network returns to televising NASCAR races.

Q: Where and when did your interest in NASCAR start?
A: I remember growing up as a little kid coming to the stock car races and running around the garage area when there wasn't a rule about being 16 to get in. I saw the Pettys and the Pearsons and the Yarboroughs and the Allisons and those kind of guys.

Q: What's your earliest memory of NASCAR?
A: Ned Jarrett's race shop wasn't far from where I lived in Newton, N.C. I would go over there and peer in the building at night.

Q: What do you think is the biggest change you've seen in NASCAR over the years?
A: Used to be the drivers would sit in the back of their haulers in the garage area and chew a chicken leg or make a bologna sandwich, and now there's catering tents and multimillion-dollar coaches. The drivers are being sequestered back there because they're involved in meetings for sponsor reps and future sponsors and doing hospitality.

Q: What's your mission as a broadcaster?
A: I want fans to smell the rubber burning when they sit in their living room. I want them to get up off that sofa and dust grass off their pants because when that car spun out they were there. I want them to get up and have to go wash the gasoline smell off their face. That's what we want to be able to do. We want the NASCAR experience to come out of the screen into their living room ESPN-style.

Q: What did you miss the most being away from NASCAR?
A: The pavement-pounding thunder of stock cars when they come roaring by. The hair on the back of my neck stands up. My palms get sweaty. I just love it. "

So does this mean ESPN is going to give us "smell-o-vision?"   :lol:

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 08:40:01 PM »

Thanks for posting that.  It was good reading.

My hope is that they realize we tv fans want to see the cars in competition and close racing throughout the pack.  In car cameras do not give me a feel of being in the car and to me is wasted time, IMO

Another thing I would wish for is that we get a starting line up annouced all they way from pole to position 43.

Am I dreaming wanting these things?
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 05:35:16 PM »

Dr. Punch has a great passion for the sport, and I hope ESPN will let that shine through without excessive gimmicks in the coming year.  Then again, that will almost certainly be too much to ask for. Sad

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006, 05:45:40 PM »

I realize we probably won't get anything like the coverage we got on ESPN back in the good old days.  But, I'd like to hope they will not stoop to the level of over the top gimmicks that Fox has done.  IMHO, ESPN is still "the worldwide leader in sports" and hopefully, they don't plan to follow anyone.   Smiley

Cheryl
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: