November 19, 2017, 01:30:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question About Jeff Gordon  (Read 933 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: June 21, 2004, 04:22:11 PM »

Ron asked:

finally covered something that i've wondered about for years the irrational hatred for jeff gordon.now maybe(as a jeff fan)i'm biased but this hatred for jeff stinks imo and i liked fox's reasoning for it. the fans are jealous of him because his success "came too early" i think that's just unfair what do you think?

I think it comes down to the fact that Gordon beat everyone else's drivers since he has won so much and that's where the resentment stems from.  

Or as I always say "everyone hates a winner."   Smiley

Cheryl
sally
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2004, 08:41:59 PM »

I think I can speak to this subject with some authority.  Cheryl, you are right on about part of the reason many people (yes, including me) aren't particularly fond of Jeff Gordon.  His success so quickly was part of the reason.  I know that, personally, he symbolized the beginning of  the end of Nascar as we knew it.  He was the first "pretty boy", breaking the mould of rugged individuals that personified Nascar for so long.  He deserted Bill Davis, who gave him his shot in Busch racing, to go with Hendrick, adding yet another team to the multiple stable, pushing the independant owners even farther aside.  He gave the appearance of being a coprorate spokesman, even more than a driver.  And, to many of us "old timers", he didn't "pay his dues", working his way up through the lesser teams.  And, for heaven's sakes, he didn't even know how to drive a stick shift!

So, Ron, for some of us, Jeff Gordon is the symbol of where Nascar started to go wrong.  It may not be fair, but there it is.
Sally
Vivian
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2004, 09:15:51 PM »

I think I agree with both.  He was just too good but now that we have other open wheelers in the mix, we are seeing more like him and it seems they are getting too much media attention.  I also think that when he came along, Nascar made him their golden boy as he was always p.c., good looking and squeaky clean.  Then he and Brooke became the p.c. couple of Nascar; and the rough and tough old veterans who came before began to look uncivilized to a lot of the new fans and Nascar began to change.  The only one allowed to be himself was Dale Earnhardt and because he was friends with the France family, he could get away with anything.  I think Brian being in marketing liked the new image and slowly the real Nascar was phased out and once we lost Dale, it was really gone.  For a while I think a lot of people expected Dale Jarrett to kind of take over where Dale E. left off but he was much too p.c. to do that.  As was Jeff Burton who kind of hit the spotlight then.  When Tony continued to be the outspoken person he was and Nascar really gave him a lot resistance lest others follow in his ways, so things just changed and many of us were not too happy with those changes.  I do think we tend to blame Jeff for some of it as he was there in the right place at the right time to finalize it all.  He is truly a good driver and to be honest, at times he was kind of an aggressive driver but never got reprimanded for it.  He finally has begun to speak his feelings more and I think he will be getting less and less boos as time goes on and we find someone new to boo.
ronbarnes7777
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2004, 03:34:54 PM »

now i understand guys .also good point sally we jeff fans just have to deal with this it's just frustrating you know
BAM24/25
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2004, 09:15:33 PM »

As far as I am concerned, I could care less what people call him because at the end of the day, you still have to call him a 4x champ.  Also, I am one of dreaded "new fans" and am thoroughly sick to death of hearing about how nascar used to be and how awful it is now.  It just gets tiring after a while.

Jeff is hated because he beats others consistently.  And over the last ten years has proven that he was not a flash in the pan, but a truly talented driver.

You can't beat what you can't catch!"

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: