November 19, 2017, 06:53:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Smaller Plates at Talladega  (Read 314 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: October 08, 2006, 05:24:29 PM »

I tuned in to watch the truck race yesterday and had to sit though about 1 1/2 hour of Cup qualifying overun.  More fantastic scheduling by NASCAR this weekend.  Anyway, I heard them say that NASCAR (in their infinite wisdom) had already decided to put smaller plates on the cars this weekend.  What a surprise...then I just tuned into Raceday and heard Spencer and Kenny Wallace say that they clocked Gordon at 198 in pratice, so they decided to reduce the air intake via smaller plates.  I guess what pisses me off (besides plates in general) is that NASCAR didn't figure out the cars would be much faster on newer pavement before yesterday.  They had comments from several crew chiefs about the smaller plates.  The prevailing opinion seemed ot be it was all for "insurance purposes."  I understand the danger of cars getting airborne and into the stands, but I hate to see the cars restricted more than they already were.  And exactly how do the teams adjust their engines to deal with less air at the last minute.  I predict we're gonna see a lot more engine failures today.  I hope I'm wrong, but it seems like we saw something like that happen several years ago (MANY engine failures) at Talladega.  Spencer or Wallace also said that NASCAR was concerned with the "closing rate" between packs of cars.  Hell, the cars were already ina big glob the last few years!  To me, a qucker closing rate might actually allows cars to pass.  Guess NASCAR doesn't want to see that.

Cheryl "hoping for a safe race today"
cowboy271
Grizzled Veteran

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 12:49:40 AM »

Ok, the race is over and I'll reserve other comments to the race.  Regarding the plate change and the concerns for safety, then why didn't CASHCOW find time for the cars to have an hour's practice with the new plates.  Even practice after qualifing would have been better for the teams than going out cold to figure the new plates out.  It seems to my feeble mind that NASCAR doesn't want to avoid the "big one", just control it.  A writer equated the change in plates at this time as changing the size of the baseball midways through the World Series.  It just stinks...keeping it nice for Y'all, but reckon y'all know what I really think.

I'm keeping with NASCAR's theme.."Idiot of Tomorrow" so Speedcouch needs a new resident idiot.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: