November 22, 2017, 08:24:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ABE/ESPN has team ready!  (Read 770 times)
sally
« on: October 08, 2006, 12:19:57 PM »

http://www.thatsracin.com/mld/thatsracin/15704342.htm

They are going to make an announcement Thursday at Charlotte about who thier final announcing team will be.  I'm keeping my fingers crosses.

Sally
Benson23Fan
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2006, 02:01:10 PM »

Looks like they're going with the FOX formula of having a recently retired driver (Rusty) a recently retired crew chief (Petree) and a lady who's never covered NASCAR before in her life in the pits (Little).
Benson23Fan
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 04:20:35 PM »

Jayski is reporting the booth team will be Jerry Punch, Rusty Wallace and.... brace yourself.... Brad Daugherty a former NBA player and truck series owner. What?!

I can't say I'm a fan of that....
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 07:27:04 PM »

I saw that too, Brenden.   All I can say is that Doherty at least had some affiliation with NASCAR way back when.  He owned the team that Robert Pressley drove for in his early Busch days.  But still, wouldn't it make more sense to pick someone with a broadcast background?  Oh wait, I guess they are following the Fox "model."  

As to some new chick on pit road with no racing background, give me a break!  What's the matter with Krista Voda or Amy East if they MUST have a woman (which I think is totally unnecessary.

Cheryl
Benson23Fan
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 08:23:49 PM »

Jamie Little does have a racing background, she's worked on their open wheel coverage for the past few seasons.
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2006, 04:41:44 PM »

Quote from: "Benson23Fan"
Jayski is reporting the booth team will be Jerry Punch, Rusty Wallace and.... brace yourself.... Brad Daugherty a former NBA player and truck series owner. What?!

I can't say I'm a fan of that....

NOPE.  Based on the That's Racin article, which I picked up from BGNRacing.com, here are the expected assignments:

Lap-by-lap: Allen Bestwick
Analysts: Rusty Wallace, Andy Petree
Pit reporters: Dr. Jerry Punch, Mike Massaro, Jamie Little, Dave Burns

Daugherty actually would have made sense: he is a huge NASCAR fan, former team owner, and has worked for ESPN on college basketball games.

Also, I'm disappointed that John Kernan will not be part of ESPN's return to NASCAR racing.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2006, 06:17:09 PM »

Quote from: "Desmond"
Daugherty actually would have made sense: he is a huge NASCAR fan, former team owner, and has worked for ESPN on college basketball games.

Just because a former athlete has served as an announcer for a sport still doesn't take the place of being a trained professional IMHO.  Trust me, the two guys doing the announcing on CSTV (College Sports TV) for the Navy/air Force game the other day were just plain sad.  Both were former college players from civilian schools.  I'm sure they knew the sport and loved the sport, but that doesn't always translate to being a good announcer.  Believe me, I have nothing against Daugherty at all (probably think he'd be better than Petree) - just think there are plenty of professional NASCAR announcers available, so why not take advantage of their experience?  I'm hoping any reports that Bestwick is the anchor for the ESPN are true.

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2006, 08:16:06 PM »

To my way of thinking, Bestwick and Dr. Punch make up for the obligatory female. Who knows, she might be a quick study. Smiley

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: