November 25, 2017, 02:52:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Dega ARCA race  (Read 829 times)
cowboy271
Grizzled Veteran

« on: October 07, 2006, 03:44:37 AM »

I just finished watching the shortened ARCA  tape delayed race.  Don't the track/race promoters know what time sunset is?  The new track surface appears great (wonder if Humpy could get that crew to do Charlotte?).  The ARCA cars made the track look a lot like Fontana, just cruising.  Montoya did a great job as I expected.  I just don't see the field breaking up into packs for the cup race; at least for very long.  I may even watch the race if football doesn't interfere.

I'm keeping with NASCAR's theme.."Idiot of Tomorrow" so Speedcouch needs a new resident idiot.
sally
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 11:57:11 AM »

I have to say I was inpressed with JPM.  He led laps starting from the front, and he worked his way thru traffic when he started at the back.  He didn't seem in the least intimidated by running in the pack, and even figured out bump drafting with Steven Wallace!  What impressed me the most was the huge grin on his face when he got out of the car after the race.  You know, he just might make it in Nascar.

Sally
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 03:44:52 PM »

Quote from: "sally"
I have to say I was inpressed with JPM.  He led laps starting from the front, and he worked his way thru traffic when he started at the back.  He didn't seem in the least intimidated by running in the pack, and even figured out bump drafting with Steven Wallace!  What impressed me the most was the huge grin on his face when he got out of the car after the race.  You know, he just might make it in Nascar.

Sally

Charmed you pretty good, huh Sally?? :-D

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
sally
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2006, 04:05:01 PM »

Ok, I admit, he's not too hard to look at.  BUT, it's been a while since I've seen that much excitement on a driver's face in Cup.  His enthusiasm is infectious...in a good way.  I'm also impressed that he hasn't come into Nascar with a superior attitude that would be expected from someone coming from F1.  He really seemed to be having a ball out there.

Sally
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2006, 04:48:06 PM »

Meant no offense, kiddo, just had to tease you about that. I think the "furrin" drivers tend to charm the ladies anyhow. They seem to be a bit more polished and so forth. And you are correct, Montoya is a fine driver. We'll see how it all shakes out. Cheesy

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2006, 06:28:27 PM »

Quote from: "sally"
I have to say I was inpressed with JPM.  

Now I was impressed with Kelly Bires...Came from the ASA Late Model Series and kept his nose clean at his first superspeedway race and finished in the top five.  But then I've never been one to follow the crowd. :lol:

Agree with James that it was absurd to just suddenly call the race for darkness.  Yes, they have a full day of activities at the track (Cup practice, truck quals and practice and ARCA happy hour I think), but it was ridiculous to plan the ARCA race start so late. Those guys ran pretty clean for them and still there wasn't enough time to finish the entire scheduled distance.  NASCAR's 400-lb. gorilla strikes again.  

Cheryl
sally
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2006, 09:50:39 PM »

Yeah, the timing is really suspect, isn't it?  After all, it's Talladega...known for huge wrecks that take lots of time to clean up the track.  Hard to imagine they couldn't plan any better than that, move things up enough to accomodate the entire race.  But then, Nascar has never been bashful about short changing other series, has it?

sally
Vivian
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2006, 09:09:38 PM »

I was impressed by JPM, simply because he ran a good race and is a good driver, IMO.  He stayed out of trouble and he was so jazzed at the end of the race.  His interview was great.  He seemed humble because he was not afraid to ask for advice as to what to do.  He seems to have been accepted by the other drivers and teams.  Since I watch a lot of types of racing, he has always been one  of my favorites since he started F1 after I had begun to like him when he was in the IRL.  Like I said, I think he ran a good race and is a good driver.

I did not like the fact that they shortened the race due to poor scheduling of time on their part.  The cameras must do one whale of a job in lighting up what we see on tv cause it did not look too dark to race, imo.
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2006, 04:28:42 PM »

I didn't see the race itself, but I saw a behind-the-scenes package on The SPEED Report Sunday night.  I can concur with Vivian that Montoya seemed to have a great time out there. Cheesy   The communication between him and crew chief Brad Parrott was fascinating.

Montoya's next stock-car race is the ARCA Prairie Meadows 250, this coming Sunday at the new Iowa Speedway.  It will be televised live on the Speed Channel.  This will his first short-track race and I will try to watch.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: