November 21, 2017, 06:19:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
 
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Silliest Season Ever!  (Read 574 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Cheryl
Moderator
Hall of Fame
*****
Offline Offline

Posts: 5407



WWW
« on: October 06, 2006, 12:36:04 PM »

Edit:  Official, from Jayski.  Personally if this keeps another whacker out of the truck series, I'm delighted:

"OFFICIAL: Mark Martin announced today that he will continue in the Nextel Cup Series next season, driving the #01 MB2 Motorsports Chevy on a limited basis in 2007. “I consider Mark Martin a personal friend and over the last 20 years we have had a fantastic relationship professionally and personally,” Roush said. “Mark will always hold a special place in my heart and a special place in Roush Racing, and I truly wish him all the best in his future plans.”
“Jack Roush and I have enjoyed a very special relationship for the past 20 years,” said Martin. “Jack afforded me the opportunity to chase my dreams, and there is no way to put in words what he has meant to me, my life and my career. The deal to come back with Roush in the #6 with AAA really worked out great and gave me one of the best and most rewarding years of my career, AAA has been great to work with and it’s really been awesome to work on such important issues. I’m really glad I was able to come back a year and help those guys and Jack out, and we are going to do everything we can to keep chasing after that Nextel Cup for the next seven races.”
"When Mark finally reconciled his somewhat conflicting desires, he settled on staying in Cup and running a 20-race schedule. We had no way of accommodating that desire since all of our Cup programs were previously committed," said Roush Racing president Geoff Smith. And, NASCAR team limits prevented Roush Racing from putting together an additional team for Mark, so in the end Mark had to move on - in order to stay in the Cup series. He's meant a great deal to this organization and we certainly wish him the best in whatever he chooses to do down the road." Martin reiterated that his focus over the next seven races will remain on the “Chase” for the Nextel Cup Championship. “Our focus is on winning this championship,” Martin said. “I’ve been fighting this fight in the #6 car for 19 years now, and we aren’t about to give up anytime soon. It’s the complete focus of our attention, and we’ll fight down to the very end for it.”(Roush Racing Site/PR)(10-6-2006)"

Latest gossip from Jayski on Mark Martin.  Good grief!  Make up your mind!

"Martin to MB2 Motorsports in 2007..in a Chevy, announcement Friday at Talladega UPDATE 2: hearing that Mark Martin will announced his 2007 plans on Friday morning [Oct 6th] at Talladega....however, hearing part of his 2007 plans include running some 2007 Nextel Cup races in the #01 Chevy [MB2 is NOT changing to Fords] with MB2 Motorsports....the sponsor would NOT be the U.S. Army. Supposedly current #01 driver, Joe Nemechek would move to a different car number for MB2 Motorsports.
From Two Weeks Ago: hearing that Regan Smith, currently driving the #35 McDonald's Ford for Team Rensi in the Busch Series, will go to Ginn Motorsports [#01-Joe Nemechek and #14-Sterling Marlin] in 2007 to run a Cup/Busch schedule.(9-19-2006)
UPDATE: nascar.com has something posted on this: Mark Martin will drive the #01 Chevrolet part time for the 2007 Nextel Cup season, multiple sources close to MB2 Motorsports told NASCAR.COM on Thursday. It is believed that Martin will run 22 races for the team. Busch Series driver Regan Smith will drive the remaining 14 Cup races, the sources said.(10-5-2006)
UPDATE 2: Team owner Jack Roush, who has fielded a Ford for Martin in NASCAR's top series since 1988, is expected to make the announcement Friday at 10:30am/et at Talladega Superspeedway. MB2 general manager Jay Frye has scheduled a news conference for later Friday morning at the Talladega track. Martin reportedly will share the ride in the #01 Chevrolet with rookie Regan Smith, a 23-year-old regular in the Busch Series, a source told The Associated Press. Joe Nemechek, currently racing in the #01, will remain with MB2, but will move to a third team entry, while Sterling Marlin will stay in the team's #14 Chevy. Roush team president Geoff Smith said several weeks ago that the team would definitely not field a Cup car for Martin in 2007 and that it was close to completing a deal with Martin to drive a Roush truck. But that deal apparently fell apart after the MB2 ride became available. The source said it was unclear if Martin might also drive in the truck series in 2007, along with the MB2 ride.(ESPN.com)(10-6-2006)"

Also saw on SPEED channel last night that Marcos Ambrose will be in the 59 Busch car next year (Kingsford/Johnsonville sponsorship that Stacey Compton now drives).  Great move for Marcos, but I'm sad to see Stacey lose his ride.  

Cheryl
Logged
Vivian
Guest
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 08:46:31 PM »

This was quite a surprise when I read the rumor yesterday.  (I wish I could say what I would really like to say about that change and the fickle mind) It will be curious to see who is now the owner of the 17 car.  And, Cheryl, I don't think it will keep Mark out of the trucks except at a few races.  JMO

I am also surprised about the 59 Busch car change of drivers.  

Seems things are shuffling in weird ways this year.
Logged
old hot rodder
All-Star
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 2022


« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 10:48:10 PM »

I am almost at a total loss for words. ALMOST! :-D  To paraphrase MacArthur,  Old race car drivers never die, they just fade away.--that is what I see happening to Mark over the next 2 years. Sad
Logged

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
cowboy271
Grizzled Veteran
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 366


« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 11:24:13 PM »

One of those things that made me sit up as say "What the (fill in the blank)".  Martin is one of the drivers I've admired over the years despite his flip flops on retirement.  I never thought he'd leave Roush, although the rumored move to RYR wasn't quiet as shocking.  Roush and Yates do work together; but to MB2 and Chevy?  I'm just an old fogie since I have loyalty to products/people that have served me right over the years.  It really appears money is a much stronger addiction than I've imagined.  To paraphrase Earl Pitts, "It just makes me sick".
Logged

I'm keeping with NASCAR's theme.."Idiot of Tomorrow" so Speedcouch needs a new resident idiot.
Desmond
All-Star
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 3672



« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2006, 01:32:58 AM »

The official announcement was indeed made today.  All the details are as reported, but I would like to add that Nemechek will drive car #13, with sponsorship to be determined.  So MB2 is expanding to a three-car team.

The Roush truck deal is dead, but Martin could still end up in the #46 truck for a few races.

Finally, that makes two split teams in Cup racing for 2007, with Wood Brothers #21 being the other.  Ken Schrader and Jon Wood will split, perhaps 50/50.
Logged

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Moderator
Hall of Fame
*****
Offline Offline

Posts: 5407



WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2006, 06:34:27 PM »

Just heard a further rumor on Martin and MB2 - that they would switch to Fords next year with motors from Roush.  If this proves to be true, then Roush is just trying to skirt the 4 team rule and will effectively control 7-8 Cup teams next year.  Guess that's his way to battle the Toy car invasion.  Interesting...But makes a lot more sense than Martin leaving Ford for Chevy.  

Cheryl
Logged
Vivian
Guest
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2006, 09:18:24 PM »

*****  This post edited by moderator*****

Off the subject a bit here, but that one commercial where the one fella asks DW if it is really for the fans (the one where he and Mikey are on different floats at a parade), all I gotta say is they don't tell it like it really is.  They bamboozle the fans but laugh all the way to the bank at these poor foolish fans who are helping them become millionaires many times over.  JMO...

Why quit when you can keep collecting $$$ like that?
Logged
Desmond
All-Star
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 3672



« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2006, 04:24:08 PM »

Quote from: "Cheryl"
Just heard a further rumor on Martin and MB2 - that they would switch to Fords next year with motors from Roush.  If this proves to be true, then Roush is just trying to skirt the 4 team rule and will effectively control 7-8 Cup teams next year.  Guess that's his way to battle the Toy car invasion.  Interesting...But makes a lot more sense than Martin leaving Ford for Chevy.


Bobby Ginn, who is now the owner of MB2, has denied the rumor in a radio interview.  The transcript is on the Jayski front page.

In the same interview, Ginn implied that his Ginn Resorts will sponsor the #13 for Nemechek in at least some races next year.  Nemechek will have no owner's points from 2006, nor a champions' provisional, so he must qualify on time to open 2007.  (Nemechek is a Busch Series past champion, however.)
Logged

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!