November 21, 2017, 12:00:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: More Robservations....  (Read 1995 times)
marrtinigirl
Wiley Veteran

« on: June 20, 2004, 05:57:30 PM »

Hey guys!!! (And ladies)  Did you miss me?  Ok, humor me...

Last night, while driving home from work (yes, I have been at work again for an ungodly amount of hours, don't think anyone chased me away.  And no, Cheryl didn't ground me, although I know she wanted to...) Rob asked me if I was going to be watching the race today.  I told him I wasn't sure, since I had to go to my dad's for Father's day and no one in my family is really a fan.  I told him that I wasn't really worried about it, as Michigan (our beautiful home state) certainly leaves something to be desired.  Boy, did I open a floodgate.

Rob decided to tell me what his pet peeves with racing are, and I thought that I would share them with you as I promised to update you on his racing progress.

First, it annoys him that the guys in the booth never "shut up."  He says, "It's like they always have to be talking, even if what they are talking about has nothing to do with racing.  And that one guy, he always seems to be able to relate whatever is going on at the track with something that has happened in his racing career.  I don't care about his stories, I care about the race."  Hmmm, seems like a few of us have said that before.  Maybe once or twice.

"and you know what else I don't understand?"  He says.  Hard telling, but he was eager to share. "They will show you the front guy, running way up there by himself, with no other cars around him.  Ok, I get it, he has a big lead.  Do we really need to see that?  And then, someone will make an unscheduled stop and go a lap down and be in 22nd place or something and they just stop talking about him.  Then, about 100 laps later, you see on the streamer thing that he's now on the lead lap in 10th place, but you have no idea how he got there.  Don't you think they should mention that?"  Why yes, I do.  But what do I know?

Now he was getting a little worked up, which of course, delighted me because we haven't been together on Sundays, I have been working and he has not, so I know that he is watching on his own.

"And I've got to tell you, when I first started watching, I thought it was neat that they would explain what they were talking about.  You know, when they go to their cutaway car thing.  Yeah, I thought that was neat the FIRST time.  I don't think we need to see it every race.  I get it already.  And especially since they show it over the whole screen when there is a whole race going on.  It isn't like they stop racing to show us this.  And then, because they cut away from the race to show us this crap, I have to see a restart or crash or pass or whatever on replay because they thought it was more important to show us their fancy car instead of the race.  That's another thing that annoys me, we have to see most of the action on replay because they were at commercial or showing us something stupid or talking about something we don't care about.  Why can't they just stick to the race and just tell us what the hell is going on?"  Gee Rob, wish I could answer that for you.  

So, if anyone has any insight as to how to explain to him why they do these things, please let me know.  As it stands, I just kinda shook my head, smiled, and told him "I don't know.  I wonder the same things myself."

"Well," he says, "This is the exact reason I stopped watching football.  Thanks to the coverage and the stupid things they talk about and the fact that they never shut up, I lost interest in football."  Hmmm.  He IS the perfect demographic.  Not only is he the desired age and sex, he quit watching football and defected to NASCAR.  But the boys at the top better watch out, they just may lose him to basketball if they don't improve the coverage.
Vivian
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2004, 08:58:37 PM »

It is about time you came back, Staci!  We missed you.

Rob sounds very responsible and logical to me.  He makes some good points in his observations.  Why doesn't he join us on here?
marrtinigirl
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2004, 04:22:03 PM »

I'm working on him, Viv.  I keep telling him that I have posted about him and he thinks that's cool, but so far I can't get him to agree.  he still doesn't want to admit that he's as hooked as we are.  But I'm working on him.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2004, 04:34:51 PM »

Good!  We need more men here!  Lou told me last weekend, we ought to change the name here to Speedchicks and I was not amused.  

There are lot of female-run racing web sites out there right now that just sound like fluff to me, so I don't want anyone to think we are like that.  I prefer to think of us as a "matriarical society."   :wink:  

But seriously, we are definitely an equal-opportunity website.  The more the merrier!   Smiley

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2004, 05:40:58 PM »

In the same vein as the last statement, I am starting to recruit men for the forum.  I have sent e-mails to online columnists Rob Lambert, Don Hamm, and Brandon Mudd.

I hope they accept and add their unique perspectives on TV coverage to Speedcouch.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2004, 08:19:47 PM »

Quote from: "Desmond"
In the same vein as the last statement, I am starting to recruit men for the forum.  

Desmond, I was halfway kidding with my post!   We have plenty of men here; it's just that the women seem to post more  :lol:  

I just meant it made more sense for Rob to post his own thoughts here, rather than Staci always having to pass them on to us.  

Cheryl
ronbarnes7777
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2004, 11:40:49 PM »

hey cheryl you do have a point all kidding aside we do need more men to post.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2004, 01:54:28 AM »

Quote from: "ronbarnes7777"
hey cheryl you do have a point all kidding aside we do need more men to post.

Thanks Staci!   Yes, that was really my point.  Not that we really need more men to join.  We just need the ones that are here to speak up and post more.

I'm not sure if all the folks who are registered and never post can't get the forum to work for them or they just registered thinking they needed to do so to read it.  Whatever...speak up guys and girls!  We want to hear from everybody and the networks NEED to hear from as many fans as possible.  I know it's hard to get a word in edgewise with us girls talking so much, but please speak up if you are here.  We promise we'll be quiet and listen!   Seriously...

Okay, my stint as a cheerleader is done.  I'll be back to being the mean mommie tomorrow again.   :lol:

Cheryl
Lou
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2004, 01:09:43 PM »

Quote from: "Cheryl"
We just need the ones that are here to speak up and post more.

We just don't have nearly as much to say as you ladies. We're the strong, silent type. O.k. maybe just the silent type. Or maybe we use fewer words?

Quote from: "Cheryl"
We promise we'll be quiet and listen!   Seriously...

yeah, right.... :roll:

Lou "I'm in trouble now" Lauer

old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2004, 05:57:13 PM »

TO: "Lou I'm in trouble now Lauer"----so, what elser is new??? :lol:

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
marrtinigirl
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2004, 02:20:48 PM »

Well, I do have to pooint out that we seem to chase the men (John) away.  Something about strong women who know a lot about cars intimidates them, I think.  Of course, the strong ones stay here and put up with all of our ramblings....Ok, my ramblings, so this will be a short one.  Hee hee

I am still trying to get Rob to post himself.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2004, 02:50:23 PM »

Quote from: "marrtinigirl"
Well, I do have to pooint out that we seem to chase the men (John) away.  Something about strong women who know a lot about cars intimidates them, I think.  Of course, the strong ones stay here and put up with all of our ramblings....Ok, my ramblings, so this will be a short one.  Hee hee

Yes, John and another guy earlier (BW2 or something like that) got mad because everyone didn't agree with them.  I don't think we have to have some sort of a lovefest or groupthink here where everyone feels the same.  That would be really boring and not useful to the networks.  I just expect everyone to stay civil in their disagreements.  And I thought everyone was perfectly civil to them both of the guys who left.  

I chased away the first guy because I pointed out some errors in things he said about TV production, so he said I was calling him a liar and got mad and left.  It's all a matter of interpretation and perspective.  I'd never call someone a liar, but in pointing our his errors, he felt I did.  I thought I was being respectful, but obviously he didn't think so.  Oh well...

I think everyone here has very strong opinions, be they men or women and most of us have a lot of knowledge about the sport.  Those that can respect each others opinions and knowledge will stay and those that can't will go I guess.  I'm not worried about it, so don't you either.   Smiley  But I definitely don't want it turned into a gender battle.  That's no fun at all.

Cheryl
Lou
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2004, 02:53:50 PM »

Quote from: "marrtinigirl"
I am still trying to get Rob to post himself.
Depending on Rob's weight and height, this message this message board software may not be able to accomodate it if he should choose to post himself.

Cool

sally
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2004, 07:45:34 PM »

I agree wiht Staci, and commend the men on this site...you don't assume that, just because you are men, that you know more about racing than the women who post.  Or, at least you're smart enough not to let it show!  I know a lot of ment who just can't deal with the fact that I may know as much or more about Cup racin than they do.  I have to be wrong because I'm a woman, so what can I possible know?  You guys don't do that, which is one of the reasons I like this forum so much.

Gee whiz...did I just pay someone a compliment?  The sun must have gotten to me.  
Sally :wink:
Vivian
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2004, 09:14:56 PM »

I think that respect for each others opinions is the main thing.  Just because I believe one way and you disagree with me is no reason for either of us to get mad.  We need everyone - male and female - to really say what they think without fear of condemnation, but willing to accept that everyone does not feel the same and that is okay.  I mean, after all, I would not be on this forum either if I knew everyone objected to the fact that I am a Tony fan and defender and they let me know they had no respect for my feelings by bashing me for it.  Instead, we all post our different feelings and opinions and get along because we are allowed to do that without being yelled at or put down for it.

Go Tony!!!  Now you can either agree that I am right or you can be wrong!   :twisted:   Just kidding.  Don't throw me off the forum, Mommy!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: