November 18, 2017, 07:04:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chevrolet Scores 30th All-Time Manufacturers' Cup Title  (Read 2192 times)
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2006, 04:33:46 PM »

I feel disappointed that I did not watch NASCAR racing at a time when the makes were distinguishable and when there was a real rivalry between them.  Then again, I should pay more attention to Back in the Day when it returns to TV.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Vivian
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2006, 08:22:02 PM »

Dick, you said it well.  I also remember those days.

BTW, maybe a bit off subject here, but if you want to see the older different styles, you could watch "Back in the Day".  I don't really care for the show, but they do show some old race bits.
cowboy271
Grizzled Veteran

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2006, 02:05:35 AM »

Thanks Dick for your comments....they echo the sentiment I've been expousing.  I can remeber the day when you could sit in the stands and distinguish between a Ford, Chevy, Olds, Pontiac, Buick, AMC (Matador).  I feel the the manufacturers were on the forefront in terms of competiveness..  It's like they're sitting on the sidelines without any brand identity any more.

I'm keeping with NASCAR's theme.."Idiot of Tomorrow" so Speedcouch needs a new resident idiot.
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2006, 06:40:28 PM »

Another neat point that resulted from the Nascar manufacturers rivalry was that the Race car developments trickled down to the drag strip and sometimes to the street. (think Boss 429 Mustangs, Hemi Mopars, the winged warrior mopars, the sohc 427 Fords, etc).

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Vivian
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2006, 07:49:59 PM »

Dick,  I remember most of that also.  You sure have a way of bringing back some of the best memories and favorite times of racing.  Thanks.

I know this ages us and makes us look like seniors (which we are!  Wink ) but I don't mind at all.  

I always wondered why my parents talked about the good old days.  I guess it just goes to prove how smart they were in trying to teach us values and how important memories really are.  Seems we are all too soon old and too late smart!
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2006, 08:51:32 PM »

We gotta be careful, Vivian, or somebody might accidentally hit the "senior citizen" key again!! :-D

William James
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2006, 04:33:38 PM »

Quote from: "old hot rodder"
We gotta be careful, Vivian, or somebody might accidentally hit the "senior citizen" key again!! :-D

Come to think of it, at 34, I might be the youngest member of the forum!

But I have picked up a lot of old-fashioned things from each of you, and from my parents.  My outlook on life has changed a lot in the last few years.

I wish more younger people were curious about the old days and were willing to discuss them, good or bad.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2006, 06:11:36 PM »

Desmond, that is a good point, but the way things are now, you have to keep moving just to keep from being run over. ( I made a Dayton to Cleveland to Detroit to Dayton trip this past weekend. Couldn't believe how many cars I saw doing at least 90 mph, --based on the speed I was going :-D ).
 But it is true in technology and all sorts of things. So the "old days" are not always so great, but the romantic aspects of the old days are wonderful. For instance, you just cannot appreciate the sounds our muscle cars used to make unless you have heard them. Even today's Mustangs and Vettes are not quite the same.  Thinking of that sound takes me back to a time when I was young and lean and mean, if you know what I mean. Someday, there will be the same sensation for you younger folks, but probably not the sound of today's cars. Cheesy

William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2006, 06:27:00 PM »

Someday, there will be the same sensation for you younger folks, but probably not the sound of today's cars. Cheesy

You mean that annoying exhaust sound from the 4-cylinder rice-burners?   :evil:   I really don't understand how the kids that drive those can think that's a pleasant sound or even something to be proud of.  

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2006, 07:08:49 PM »

Quote from: "Cheryl"
Someday, there will be the same sensation for you younger folks, but probably not the sound of today's cars. Cheesy

You mean that annoying exhaust sound from the 4-cylinder rice-burners?   :evil:   I really don't understand how the kids that drive those can think that's a pleasant sound or even something to be proud of.  

Cheryl

Sometimes you just have to laugh, shake your head, and move on. :-D Those "oil Can" mufflers are rediculous.

William James
Vivian
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2006, 08:34:20 PM »

Dick, you keep saying it all so thanks for all those special memories you keep letting me into. Makes me smile a lot when I read some of the things you write.
sally
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2006, 09:24:29 PM »

Ahhhh.  The Good Old Days!  My first car was a 1968 327 Camaro 3 speed on the floor.  In those days, if you heard tires squealing, you waited to see how many gears someone was going thru, not to hear the crash the way you do now.  LOVED that car.  Matador red, no pwer steering, or brakes, AM radio and a cigarette lighter were the only amenities.  NO air, just 4 windows that rolled down.  I used to be able to tell when there was a jaugar in the area...the burble of their exhaust was like nothing else!

Sal
Vivian
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2006, 01:26:35 AM »

Ooohhhhh, Sally! How right you are also.  I can also remember waiting to see what and who was coming when I would hear the cars with gears shifting.  Wow, what good old days those were!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: