November 23, 2017, 09:44:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chevrolet Scores 30th All-Time Manufacturers' Cup Title  (Read 2212 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: September 20, 2006, 12:43:13 PM »

I remember just a few years ago when the manufacturer's title was a really big deal.  Now, TV doesn't even bother to mention it.  Bet that changes when the foreign manufacturer enters next year.    Just more of the homogenizing of NASCAR.  Sad

From Jayski:  
"#29-Kevin Harvick’s victory of the Sylvania 300 at New Hampshire International Speedway on Sunday helped make history for Chevrolet, securing the 400th victory for the Monte Carlo and clinching the 2006 Manufacturers’ Cup Championship for Chevrolet in the NASCAR Cup Series. With nine races left in the season, Chevrolet has collected its 30th all-time manufacturers’ crown and 26th in NASCAR’s Modern Era (1972 – present) in NASCAR’s premier racing series. "Chevrolet is proud to be the winningest name in racing,” said Ed Peper, Chevrolet general manager. “Our success in NASCAR is a result of many hours of hard work and dedication from all the men and women on our Chevy race teams. We also know that a strong performance in racing helps to generate the same strong performance in the marketplace, and we’re pleased with everyone's efforts to keep the Chevy bowtie out front on and off the track.”  A total of seven different Chevrolet drivers have contributed to 16 victories in 27 races to date. "

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 04:01:14 PM »

Chevy vs. Toyota--should be an interesting battle in 2007.  Wonder if Ford or Dodge will win a race.  I'm betting that one of them won't. Sad

I'm basing it on how poorly Dodge trucks have performed this year.  No victories, only a handful of top-5 finishes.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 04:19:02 PM »

Quote from: "Desmond"
Chevy vs. Toyota--should be an interesting battle in 2007.  Wonder if Ford or Dodge will win a race.  I'm betting that one of them won't. Sad

I'm basing it on how poorly Dodge trucks have performed this year.  No victories, only a handful of top-5 finishes.

Excuse me?  Haven't Dodges won at least 5 races with Kahne this year and one with Busch?  I don't have the count for Fords, but Kenseth has at least 4 wins, and Biffle one.  

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 06:30:45 PM »

I think he meant the truck series, Cheryl. I didn't check the stats, but it would seem strange that after winning the Championship last year that they wouldn't win a race this year. :?

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Vivian
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 09:19:15 PM »

Toyota is now putting their $$$$ into cup cars.  Trucks have lost their support, imo
Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2006, 08:04:08 AM »

Who has the most manufacturer wins in nascar the cup series? I know ford used to. Because of their wins in the early history of nascar.

I think ford still has more wins than gm but general motors has closed that gap up a lot in past years.

Can anyone find out how many races that ford has won in the cup series?

That's kind of surprising that chevy - general motors has wrapped up the manufacturers championship with still a few races to go they must have a huge lead or something in the manufacturers points.
sally
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2006, 11:59:57 AM »

Do you think that virtually ignoring the maunfacturers championship is Nascar's way of getting fans 'tuned into' the COT?  Since the spec cars has NO real manufacturer, how much will it be worth in the futuer?  "Chevy Decals Win The Championship!"

Sally
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2006, 12:44:54 PM »

Quote from: "old hot rodder"
I think he meant the truck series, Cheryl. I didn't check the stats, but it would seem strange that after winning the Championship last year that they wouldn't win a race this year. :?

I understand that he changed to talking about the truck series at the end.  But first speculating that Ford and Dodge won't win at all next year in Cup just doesn't make any sense to me.  So I mentioned how many times they've won this year.  Why would they all of a sudden stop winning next year?  The only current teams switching to Toyota are Davis and Waltrip and they aren't competitive at this point anyway.  Roush, Penkse, and Evernham will still win races next year regardless of what new manufacturer enters.  

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2006, 04:28:47 PM »

Quote from: "Cheryl"
Quote from: "old hot rodder"

I understand that he changed to talking about the truck series at the end.  But first speculating that Ford and Dodge won't win at all next year in Cup just doesn't make any sense to me.  So I mentioned how many times they've won this year.  Why would they all of a sudden stop winning next year?  The only current teams switching to Toyota are Davis and Waltrip and they aren't competitive at this point anyway.  Roush, Penkse, and Evernham will still win races next year regardless of what new manufacturer enters.  

Cheryl

Yep they better keep winning. Can you imagine how Mikey would be if his team actually won something?? :roll:

William James
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2006, 04:46:46 PM »

Maybe I'm panicking too much on the future of their Cup programs.  I am underestimating the amount of factory support and the quality of drivers. :oops:

Quote from: "sally"
Do you think that virtually ignoring the maunfacturers championship is Nascar's way of getting fans 'tuned into' the COT?  Since the spec cars has NO real manufacturer, how much will it be worth in the futuer?  "Chevy Decals Win The Championship!"

This reminds me of the joke I once posted here about one day having "NASCAR dealerships" in which one can buy replicas of the COT cars.  NASCAR markets everything else, why not their own cars? :lol:

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2006, 03:51:10 PM »

Cheesy  Cheesy hi everyone sorry about not being in the forum lately i've had some serious personal issues to solve. about next yr does anybody think the issue of cost cutting in detroit will effect nascar?? i've heard a rumor about ford possibly getting out of nascar by 2008. i wonder if this is the beginning of a drive to get american cars out of nascar.  Sad  Sad
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2006, 04:52:56 PM »

Quote from: "ronbarnes77"
i wonder if this is the beginning of a drive to get american cars out of nascar.  Sad  Sad

That "drive" began a couple years ago when Toyota entered the truck series.   Sad

Cheryl
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2006, 12:27:21 AM »

Cheesy  Cheesy i'm not sure toyota can be blamed for it. Sad  Sad
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2006, 02:07:42 AM »

I am... :x

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2006, 03:01:43 PM »

Welcome back, Ron.
 I think it is kind of a generational thing. I watched part of a stupid old movie last night, and there were a lot of racing scenes, using some real footage, I think.
 Anyhow, you could tell a Plymouth from a Chevy from a Ford, etc.
Nowadays, who knows?, and who cares? I do because that's what I grew up with and I still enjoy the American Manufacturers rivalry, or, more properly, what's left of it. :?

William James
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: