November 21, 2017, 05:34:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's speed got to do with it?  (Read 631 times)
cowboy271
Grizzled Veteran

« on: August 23, 2006, 04:10:55 AM »

I would really like to know why the networks think it's important to show us the speed of certain cars at the start/finish line.  The speed they show with their neat lil' graphic (either at the start/finish line or lap speed) is about as relevant to the race as color is to the ripeness of a watermelon.  I don't watch many races anymore, but I do tune the race in on TV and after about ten laps I normally doze off.  I awaken to racing occasionally and try to watch the scroll across the screen to see who's running where.  Invariably, they discontinue the scroll to show the "fastest" cars graphic.  It ticks me off so that I may not doze off again until the third or fourth commercial.

Dang, I may've answered my own question.  They do it to wake us up for commercials!

I'm keeping with NASCAR's theme.."Idiot of Tomorrow" so Speedcouch needs a new resident idiot.
sally
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 11:56:07 AM »

cowboy, it's for the same reason they show only the lead car, ahead by 3 seconds, cross the finish line, then ignore the rest of the field, except for their graphic.  We missed the close finish between Mark Martin and Junior (except in replay, of course) at MIS.  Poor choices by the producer on camera choice isn't unusual.

Sally
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 02:53:52 PM »

Good points, people. I think that what we need is a real race fan in control of the broadcast. Any volunteers??
  Till that happens, I guess I'll just cherish my Sunday afternoon naps. :-D

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Vivian
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 09:59:31 PM »

I see a trend here.  All of us are watching less and less and taking more naps.  Does it happen because of the broadcasts or because of lack of interest in Nascar now?  Both, I suspect.

I really get tired of one car being shown alone and of the in car shots.  Seems like all the after race shows gives us better info and highlights than the actual race broadcast does anymore.
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006, 04:39:44 PM »

Actually, I think there is some relevance to reporting the speeds at the line.  It shows which cars are doing the best job of going through the field.

CBS had a similar graphic years ago.  The cars that moved up in the running order had the drivers' names shown in green, and those moving down had the names shown in red.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: