November 21, 2017, 01:21:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Poor Cleveland  (Read 901 times)
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« on: August 14, 2006, 12:47:57 AM »

According to Jayski the NBC affiliate in Cleveland aired Indians baseball instead of Nascar today.

I tuned in to watch a Nationwide race and all I got was Danica.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 12:25:08 PM »

Sounds like the local affiliate's choice to show baseball, not the network's decision.  

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 04:56:15 PM »

Quote from: "Cheryl"
Sounds like the local affiliate's choice to show baseball, not the network's decision.

I would like to know if the AMD at the Glen telecast in that area was moved to another station in the Cleveland market.  If the actual network affiliate has another commitment and can't air a network show, the network sometimes arranges the other show to go to another channel.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 04:58:06 PM »

Quote from: "Cheryl"

I would like to know if the AMD at the Glen telecast in that area was moved to another station in the Cleveland market.  If the actual network affiliate has another commitment and can't air a network show, the network sometimes arranges the other show to go to another channel.

Oh, and in the Indians game that was shown on NBC affiliate WKYC instead of racing, the Indians scored 11 times in the first inning! :shock:  (Final score: Indians 13, Royals 0)

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
super61
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006, 12:12:37 AM »

no, the telecast was not moved to another station. the answer i got from WKYC, (cleveland nbc affiliate) is that they have a contract with the indians that they will honor regardless of the national broadcast. I had to poke the pig a bit and asked if there was an NFL game would they still bump it, and i was told, " we have an existing contract with the Cleveland Indians organization and will air those telecasts live as they are scheduled"

Now, throw this into the mix. This is a station that picked up Browns pre-season games from another local station that pissed off the team owner by broadcasting the 911 calls from his family farm when his granddaughter was killed last month in a freak accident.  

we got to watch the last 22 laps

ken
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2006, 01:08:40 AM »

It was a local decision. Remember complaints about Boston's Fox (I think) station showing baseball instead of Nascar.

I tuned in to watch a Nationwide race and all I got was Danica.
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2006, 04:46:52 PM »

Quote from: "drpep (brian)"
It was a local decision. Remember complaints about Boston's Fox (I think) station showing baseball instead of Nascar.

Not only that, someone actually went to prison for e-mailing repeated threatening messages to WFXT management (yes, Brian, it was in Boston) concerning the pre-emptions. :shock:

Vivian
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2006, 08:29:59 PM »

Super 61 wrote:

This is a station that picked up Browns pre-season games from another local station that pissed off the team owner by broadcasting the 911 calls from his family farm when his granddaughter was killed last month in a freak accident.

That is sad.  I can't believe the insensitive media these days.  They are so bent on being the 'first' with news that they don't always stop and think.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2006, 01:36:20 PM »

Update on this from Jayski:

"NASCAR fans sent a loud message to WKYC (Channel 3) -- one that still will be echoing in October. The station pre-empted NBC's coverage of the NASCAR Nextel Cup race in Watkins Glen on Sunday to air an Indians game. Racing fans promptly filled up the voice mail and the e-mail baskets at the TV station. As a result, the station is in discussions about swapping another Indians game for the one it planned to air Oct. 1 [Kansas], which again would conflict with a NASCAR telecast on NBC. The station did not intend to anger racing fans, said Terry Moir, director of programming for the NBC affiliate in Cleveland. When the station made a deal in March to televise 20 Indians games, NBC's racing schedule still was tentative, Moir said. As game day drew closer, the station began to explore airing the race on a delayed basis, either later Sunday afternoon or overnight. Channel 3 and other stations have managed to do that with some programming when it conflicts with local sports telecasts. But, Moir said, NBC's broadcast rights do not include allowing delayed telecasts of NASCAR races. (The Speed channel has a deal for race replays, with a three-hour telecast of Watkins Glen set for 2:30pm/et Thursday.) Channel 3 could have tried to swap games with SportsTime Ohio, which televises most Indians games. But Moir said the station already had swapped games with STO in July and did not want to do it again so soon. Channel 3 accordingly stuck with the Indians game, and the station had a pretty good one for baseball fans. ``It was never our intention to upset people,'' Moir said. So with another Indians/NASCAR conflict looming in October, she said: ``We're going to see if maybe we can exchange a game with SportsTime.''(Beacon Journal)(8-16-2006)"

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2006, 05:21:11 PM »

Let's hope that the trade of games between WKYC and STO happens; after all, we don't want another fan going to jail, right? :x

More importantly, why does NBC not allow its local stations to have any flexibility?  In addition to the choices presented in the article, WKYC could have been allowed to make a deal with another local station to carry the race.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: