November 22, 2017, 06:22:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: More TV "Proprietory" Stuff?  (Read 987 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: June 16, 2004, 08:14:24 PM »

Just saw this article on the Winston-Salem Journal site.  What a bunch of crap!  I guess Fox feels threatened by a Tennessee newspaper.  

Cheryl

Reporter runs afoul of unwritten NASCAR policy

By Mike Mulhern
JOURNAL REPORTER

NASCAR has many strange and some secret rules, but among the strangest are its "Unwritten Rules."

That may sound like the "Double-Secret Probation," gag of the comedy Animal House. But for Larry Woody, a veteran reporter for the Nashville Tennessean, it was no joke.

Woody, who has been covering NASCAR for more than 30 years, ran afoul of one of NASCAR's apparently new and secret Unwritten Rules on Saturday night while covering the Busch race at Nashville Speedway. NASCAR officials threatened to eject him from the track.

Woody, who writes for the biggest newspaper in Tennessee, was "grabbed" and "yanked," Woody said, by a NASCAR pit-road official for the offense of trying to interview race leader Martin Truex Jr. on deadline during a long rain delay.

Woody waited patiently as first television reporters, then radio reporters interviewed Truex. Then when he tried to interview Truex, NASCAR officials surrounded him, grabbed him, and threatened to pull his credentials, Woody said.

When Woody protested, he said, the officials were unclear about the rules they were enforcing and were at times contradictory. Woody was then summoned to the NASCAR trailer by race director Brian DeHart, who said that it was "NASCAR policy" that only Fox TV and Motor Racing Network radio reporters are allowed to do pit-road interviews during red flags. That's a rule that none of the sport's regular journalists has ever heard of.

Woody persisted and demanded more details of NASCAR's supposed pit-road interview policy. Woody said that DeHart told him it's not written down.

Mike Zizzo, a NASCAR spokesman, confirmed the incident but said that NASCAR public-relations people are willing to get drivers for interviews when requested.
sally
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2004, 09:05:46 PM »

So, it's not just the fans that Nascar doesn't want, right?
Sally
Vivian
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2004, 10:45:10 PM »

I read Patty Kay's article from Insider Racing News and I don't know if I misinterpted or not, but I think she was home because of credential problems with Nascar.  Check it out on the link at Jayski.  Did I misunderstand?  We will definitely have to check out what is said on Pit Bull this Friday.  Things are really strange right now.
jw
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2004, 12:24:07 AM »

What is going here?

NASCAR's credibility is shrinking rapidly.  It's bad enough that NASCAR
cannot conduct a Cup race without embarassing themselves.  They cannot
get themselves into a feud with the media(particularly the print media).
Someone needs to tell NASCAR that a media feud CANNOT BE WON.
  It's time for Brian France to come out of hiding & take a stand or let
somebody (Mike Helton) who will.
Vivian
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2004, 01:03:09 AM »

There are simple solutions for every disaster they have created.  I don't know who is to blame, but I keep thinking back to when Brian said he was not going to stick fingers in the air and see what the fans wanted.  It is amazing at how many people also say that Nascar has gone to pot since the death of Earnhardt.  I don't know whether that really makes a difference or not but I don't think he would be too happy about things.  I do wish somehow we knew whether Bill Jr was supporting him or whether they are really starting to take a serious look at what is happening.  All they have to do is surf the racing news to find out that the multitude of reporters and fans are almost embarrassed and definitely angry about what is happening.  There are major problems and will be more soon as they start the last 10 races.
ronbarnes7777
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2004, 04:24:33 PM »

i read the artilcle i don't think anybody should blame fox for what happen
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2004, 04:37:08 PM »

Quote from: "ronbarnes7777"
i read the artilcle i don't think anybody should blame fox for what happen

Well, the exclusivity agreement that Fox negotiated into the contract when they took over in 2001 is pretty well known.   That's how they managed to run RPM2Night out of business.  So fans would be forced to watch Totally NASCAR as it was the only show (of that type) left with highlight video.  After RPM finally had to shut down, I've pretty much refused to watch Totally NASCAR.  I might tune in about once every two weeks because frankly them seem to just repeat the news that you can easily find yourself on the internet.  

Sorry, but if the newspaper guy was told he couldn't interview drivers on pit road, I think this type of mentality started with the Fox TV contract.  NBC doesn't have their own show, so I doubt they would've thought up the exclusivity rules for highlight video.

Yes, NASCAR agreed to it, but I doubt they would've done it had Fox not asked for exclusivity.  Therefore, I blame Fox.

Cheryl
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: