November 19, 2017, 11:22:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Talladega Nights TV Stuff  (Read 2705 times)
Benson23Fan
Wiley Veteran

« on: August 09, 2006, 01:34:24 AM »

If you haven't seen the movie and still want to don't read the post cause it spoils some parts.

The part I think that most people on this forum will appreciate is at the end of the movie in the climax of the big race at Talladega. The NBC announcers are handling the call and the rediculious big one takes out the whole field except for Ricky Bobby and his arch rival. They race a green/white/checkered in which they both end up taking each other out and flipping through the grass wildly. As the wreck is occuring Bill Webber has a few funny one liners

"Of all the wrecks I've seen at Talladega this is certainly the longest"

The wreck takes forever in slow motion that the fake NBC broadcast breaks for commercial and the movie cuts to an Applebee's commercial. Then it cuts back to the track with Webber welcoming the audience back to Talladega and  the wreck is still happening. I found it to be a funny jab at all the ill timed commercial breaks on today's telecasts.

The next line that really got me was Bill Webber saying "Thankyou for watching NBC's coverage of NASCAR coming up next on NBC is Ice Dancing set to the hits of Motown." Sounds exactly like something NBC Sports would put together to fill time.

The movie itself is hit and miss but features a number of cameo's from tv personalities such as Mike Joy, Larry Mcreynolds, Darrell Waltrip, Benny Parsons, Bill Webber, Wally Dallenbach, Dick Berggren, Bob Jenkins and Rick Benjamin.
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 02:21:47 AM »

The idea for the wreck to still be happening when the commercial break was over was supposed to have come from Nascar. I just read this somewhere, maybe USA Today or Nascar Scene.

I tuned in to watch a Nationwide race and all I got was Danica.
sally
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 02:32:11 AM »

Thanks, but I'm giving the thing a pass.  You couldn't spoill it anymore that the brainless promos.

sally
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 02:33:18 AM »

Quote from: "drpep (brian)"
The idea for the wreck to still be happening when the commercial break was over was supposed to have come from Nascar. I just read this somewhere, maybe USA Today or Nascar Scene.

God, I hope they don't try to implement that in real life!   :?

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 10:22:45 PM »

I won't be watching the movie.  I get enough of the broadcasters from the show broadcasts.  And the commercials they show make my stomach turn because I find it hard to believe tha people are impressed by scenes like that.  Guess I like the old days and ways better.
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006, 11:18:24 PM »

Based upon what I see in the promos, I cannot even conceive of spending any money whatsoever to see that movie.

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2006, 01:07:44 AM »

I never spend money on movies any way, so it's a no brainer for me - of course the movie is a no-brainer too.   :?  

I'll probably watch it when it makes it to a movie channel on DirecTV next year.  Only because I watch most every new movie on there.  We watched Herbie:  Fully Loaded a couple weeks ago.  It can't be much worse than that.   :lol:

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2006, 04:27:03 PM »

Quote from: "Cheryl"
We watched Herbie:  Fully Loaded a couple weeks ago.  It can't be much worse than that.   :lol:

Actually, I liked it a little more than you did.  Not the best movie I have ever seen, but not as bad as you thought.

And if nothing else, Lindsay Lohan is cute! Cheesy

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
cowboy271
Grizzled Veteran

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2006, 02:08:55 AM »

Another movie I have NO intention of viewing.  If I received a free DVD of the movie, I wouldn't waste the electricity to play it; not to mention my time.  Maybe NASCAR can create a new reality show; "Baby Brian Wastes Another Billion".

I'm keeping with NASCAR's theme.."Idiot of Tomorrow" so Speedcouch needs a new resident idiot.
sally
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2006, 02:49:19 AM »

Ahhh.  A man after my own heart.  Exactly the way I feel, too.

Sally
sally
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2006, 02:59:47 AM »

This is a review of the movie from a Michigan paper.  HE was insulted, and it doesn't even sound as if he's that big a nascar fan.

http://www.mlive.com/autoracing/grpress/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1155216909264670.xml&coll=6&thispage=2

Sally
sally
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2006, 05:20:01 PM »

Here's another review of the movie from someone not exactly in a 'hotbed' of Nascar racing.

http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/255-08112006-696511.html

Sally
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2006, 02:05:40 AM »

The guy from Philly must not be a movie reviewer. He comments "I don't remember seeing movies that depict other professional sports figures as idiots...". I can think of many, just about any comedy depicting worthless losers who come together at the movies end to win the championship would do for starters.

I tuned in to watch a Nationwide race and all I got was Danica.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: