November 25, 2017, 02:51:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An Enlightened Soul.  (Read 746 times)
sally
« on: August 08, 2006, 06:53:48 PM »

Nice to know there are still some media people who haven't partaken of the Nascar KoolAid.

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060808/COLUMNISTS0303/608080325/1062/sports

Sally
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 07:51:29 PM »

The author makes a lot of excellent points about the Chase, especially that it was blatently done for the benefit of NBC and now NBC is done with NASCAR anyway.

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 01:04:39 AM »

Sally, I read that article earlier today and am glad you posted it.  I agree with a lot of the stuff he said.
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 02:23:34 AM »

His comments on the Nascar movie are exactly why I won't see it until its DVD release.

I tuned in to watch a Nationwide race and all I got was Danica.
sally
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 02:33:34 AM »

I won't be seeing it at all, in any way or any form

Sally
cowboy271
Grizzled Veteran

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006, 04:01:42 AM »

I also read the article earlier and found it very supportive of my thoughts.  NASCAR, along with many other corporations, is speeding down a suicidal path.   Our artificially supported economy is beginning to collapse with our constant spending in Iraq, rebuilding New Orleans and the fuel situation.  NASCAR should look at the handwriting on the wall....attendance is declining, viewership is declining.  This would be a great time for NASCAR to take advantage of our present situation and generate a smack-dab super television entertainment package (not an American Idol thing).  It's not going to happen, but it could.  Ford seems to be emitting some bad vibes concerning their status in NASCAR and their (Fords) financial state.  I hate to be the only doomsayer here, but I just don't see the continuation of this down hill trend before Baby B takes his billions and runs while he still has them.  I'll get down off my soapbox now....sorry but sometimes you just have to vent.  I'm sometimes immature and hate to see my NASCAR candy taken away from me.

I'm keeping with NASCAR's theme.."Idiot of Tomorrow" so Speedcouch needs a new resident idiot.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2006, 12:31:02 PM »

Quote from: "cowboy271"
I'm sometimes immature and hate to see my NASCAR candy taken away from me.

Oh, I think we all feel that way these days James...  :cry:

Cheryl
sally
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2006, 12:37:26 PM »

Like you, I think all of us here have felt that Baby Brian is bleeding the cash  cow with no regard for what may happen.  Then, he can take his money and buy an NFL franchise.

Sally
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2006, 04:38:07 PM »

Mark, thank you!  And Sally, keep finding us the great articles about NASCAR.

Speaking of media, here's the followup to a story that appeared here a year ago about a NASCAR wire service.  Monte Dutton of the Gaston Gazette reported last week that NASCAR has formed a partnership with The Sporting News for what amounts to be a wire service.  Writers at The Sporting News write stories that can be picked up by newspapers.  Dutton added that the creation of the de facto service comes at a time that many papers have stopped sending reporters to NASCAR races on a regular basis.

This may go some distance in explaining why there is little legitimate commentary about NASCAR in the papers.  You have to go online to find most of the displeasure of the fans over the current state of the sport.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Vivian
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2006, 10:26:06 PM »

Cowboy271 wrote:

NASCAR should look at the handwriting on the wall....attendance is declining, viewership is declining

I totally agree that both are declining but they keep talking about all the new fans.  There seemed to be a lot of empty seats at Indy.  And not only in that one area.  People just don't want to spend their hard earned money for shows.  If they brought back real racing with real race cars then they could not satisfy the demand for seats, imo
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: