November 22, 2017, 07:32:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NASCAR yields to the NFL and NBC  (Read 606 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: July 29, 2006, 09:48:54 PM »

From thatsracin.com:

" Cup finale at Homestead will be an afternoon race
By DAVID POOLE
The Charlotte Observer
Proving once more that television – and most especially the NFL on television – dictates nearly everything professional sports, Homestead-Miami Speedway on Friday confirmed the obvious by announcing the season’s final Nextel Cup race on Nov. 19 will begin at 2:30 p.m.

Last year’s Ford 400 began at 4:10 p.m. so it could end under the lights. But that was before NBC, which will carry the Chase for the Nextel Cup finale for the last time this year, landed a Sunday night package to carry a showcase NFL game.

With NBC’s "Football Night in America" scheduled to begin at 7 p.m. on Sundays this fall, the NASCAR race needs to be over and done with by that time.

The Busch Series season finale on Saturday, Nov. 18 is set to begin at 7 p.m. and will air on TNT. The Truck finale is Friday at 8 p.m. on Speed. Nextel Cup qualifying will be at 3:10 p.m. on Friday."

Guess NBC is definitely done with NASCAR...not that I'm complaining about a day race.  Of course, 2:30 is still ridiculously late as far as I'm concerned.

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 07:57:00 PM »

What happens if there is a rain delay?  If the race is not over, will they just stop showing it?
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 07:59:44 PM »

Probably switch it to TNT or something...

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 05:14:52 PM »

Quote from: "Cheryl"
Guess NBC is definitely done with NASCAR...not that I'm complaining about a day race.  Of course, 2:30 is still ridiculously late as far as I'm concerned.

Remember what's going on here, Cheryl.  NBC wants to package the final race of the Nextel Cup season with some NFL game (teams to be determined due to "flexible scheduling") for a blockbuster day of sports television that they can sell to viewers and advertisers.

Even a bat can see that! :lol:

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Benson23Fan
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 02:00:21 AM »

Ofcourse with a 2:30 start that means the race will still end at just past 6pm which means it will be plenty dark by that point come mid-november.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: