November 20, 2017, 08:29:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blah blah blah blah  (Read 852 times)
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« on: July 22, 2006, 01:47:55 AM »

Now that we are in the second half of the TV season I noticed that during qulifying on Speed the announcers never shut up. On track action is mostly ignored. We get the 305th interview of the year with Dale Earnhardt while a car zooms around the track in a small picture. On to the 3rd interview of the day with Jimmy Johnson. Two drivers take their qualifying run and nothing is said because we have to hear the latest on Goodyear's tire for the weekend. On and on and on. The action on the track is the least important part of the broadcast now that the TNT/NBC deal has taken over from Fox. They still do a better job during the race though.

I tuned in to watch a Nationwide race and all I got was Danica.
sally
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2006, 01:10:18 PM »

Speed and Fox are still covering qualifying.  They have been doing interviews over qualifying since they began coverage...and usually ignore the 'less popular' drivers.  Their non stop babble is no different than what they have done during the actual race coverage...their babble is more important to them than what's happening on track.  Another reason they so frequently talk over any in car conversations.  you can't blame this one on TNT.

sally
Benson23Fan
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2006, 02:07:01 PM »

However they are using the TNT/NBC director, producer and technical crew for qualifying coverage on Speed. I have noticed when TNT itself covers qualifying they do spend more time showing Dave Burns water skiiing on Lake Lloyd than covering the cars on the track.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2006, 09:59:23 PM »

To me, the qualifying shows have been like this for the last 5 years...

Last time a network actually concentrated on the cars on the track was when ESPN did it back in 2000.

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 08:08:08 PM »

For some reason I thought this past weekend's quals were a bit worse for the interruptions and talking while showing a car by itself on the track with a split screen showing something else and nothing being said about the car on the track.  I thought it was just me, but apparently I was not the only one to think it was excessive.  I agree with Brian on this.  In fact, I thought it was so bad, I did not even finish watching.
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 04:50:11 PM »

This comes at a time when qualifying should be more compelling because of the new 35-team rule.  Now, to the teams outside the top 35, Fridays are more important than Sundays.

And this is the coverage we get?  Sometimes I watch it, sometimes I don't, but I no longer miss it when I don't watch.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: