November 20, 2017, 03:03:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rip-off  (Read 2258 times)
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2004, 04:43:22 PM »

Vivian, absolutely right about the potential of carnage, especially at Talladega.  The 19-car accidents at Dover on June 6 and at Daytona in February 2001 could end up being nothing in comparison.

What is certain is that the Chase races will actually be two in one: 10 drivers trying to be consistent, maybe conservative; and 33 others with nothing to lose, going for the win.  We can't wait to find out how these strategies will play out.

If nothing else, the Chase is phony because the scores are reset (first place, 5050; second, 5045; third, 5040 etc.)  Any lead, no matter how big, is wiped out.  Drivers who are barely good enough to be in the top 10 will be anointed to championship status and can sneak into the title.  The champion can go winless the whole season, which would defeat the whole purpose of CFTC.

The Chase could still succeed, but if it does, it will be in spite of itself--and the people who made it possible.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
ronbarnes7777
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2004, 06:22:23 PM »

i'm beginning to dislike this chase because i believe encourages drivers to drive recklessly
sally
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2004, 07:49:23 PM »

I think it is subject to too many problems...competing team cars interfering, Nascar blowing more calls...all sorts of problems.  How will any of us feel if the 10th ranked driver (more than 400 points out of the lead) ends up winning the championship?  I know I certainly won't regard someone who wins under the new rules as achieving the same feat that drivers have before this.  Even if it's Junior!
Sally
BAM24/25
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2004, 09:07:48 PM »

That is definitely a whole other issue Sally.  People will saying over and over that this is not a "real" championship, etc.  While I agree with that I can see me getting really tired of hearing it.  Especially if it is my driver that wins the championship. :?

Beth

You can't beat what you can't catch!"

Vivian
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2004, 09:49:13 PM »

Do you all remember what happened to Brendan Gaughan in the truck race last year by an extra truck who was put into the field by Jim Smith mainly to help one of the other drivers (Musgrave) win the championship and this driver took Gaughan out when he would have won the championship otherwise?  Well, hello to the last 10 races!  Yes, there will be carnage and there will be blocking by other drivers and there will be extra cars trying to get into the race.  I can especially see Roush putting some of his new drivers in Cup cars.  Anything for that edge that will help one of his top ten  drivers because if they make the show, that means maybe that the teammate of one of the other drivers who is in the top ten might not make the show.   :cry:   I may be crazy but that is my opinion.  I guess if people watch for the crash portions only, then this will draw them.  Anyone agree?

Right now all the drivers are just trying to make the top 10.  Mark Martin admitted in an interview that any thoughts of the championship is now over for him based on this last weekend's engine blowing.  That attitude will probably be the one most drivers out of that 10 will take and they will race to win and take more chances that they ever would before, imo.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: