November 23, 2017, 04:20:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No NASCAR "side-by-side"  (Read 2837 times)
Desmond
All-Star

« on: July 20, 2006, 06:34:00 PM »

For those of you who wanted to see the split-screen commercials that are part of the ABC/ESPN IndyCar telecasts when those networks begin showing NASCAR races next year, here is some bad news:

http://www.longislandpress.com/?cp=93&show=article&a_id=9152

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
sally
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 07:20:35 PM »

Big surprise...it's NASCAR that has vetoed the idea, NOT the networks, or the sponsors.  I loved that the article pointed out that side by side might interfere with the sale of the Track Pass coverage....Hmmmm.

Sally
Benson23Fan
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 07:35:02 PM »

I doubt enough advertisers would've agreed to make this a reality anyway.
sally
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 07:50:13 PM »

At least that's what Nascar wants us to believe.  Apparently ESPN is more than willing to try to work it out.  Maybe we should let them know how much fans would support such a move...in spote of possible taking business away from Track Pass?

sally
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 08:02:36 PM »

I cannot believe NASCAR thinks we'll buy comments like this:

From Jayski:  "We’ve looked at a lot of options to enhance the fan/viewer experience but feel that a split-screen presentation of ads and racing serves neither the fan nor advertiser,” says Ramsey Poston, NASCAR’s managing director of corporate communications.

Give me a break!  It doesn't SERVE the advertisers and that's the bottom line.  NA$CAR could care less what the fans want.

Then:

“Our TV partners do an excellent job of immediately returning to significant track action when it happens during commercials. With replays and other technology, the networks make sure NASCAR fans get the best, most comprehensive race coverage anywhere.”

BEST, MOST COMPREHENSIVE COVERAGE???  Yeah, showing the top 10 only is sure my definition of "comprehensive..."

And only NBC/TNT break out of commercial if anything significant happens.  Fox couldn't even bother to return immediately for restarts, which the viewers find "significant" but obviously Fox does not.   :evil:

What a bunch of BS if I ever saw it...Talk about "spin"... :smt078

Cheryl
Benson23Fan
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 08:35:37 PM »

FOX has broken out of commercial on numerous occasions. Most recent being at Talladega earlier this year when the wreck occured early in the race. In fact FOX was the first network to ever break out of commercial for Tony Stewarts wreck in the 2001 Daytona 500.

They've also broken out in 2002 at Darlington for another Stewart wreck. In 2004 at Talladega for the Big one in turn 4. In 2005 twice during the Daytona 500 and then at Las Vegas a few weeks later for a wreck involving Jr and Vickers.

The difference is NBC will break out for just about any spin or wreck while FOX only seems to do it when multiple cars are involved or it is drastically race altering.
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2006, 10:59:42 PM »

Cheryl's post sum up what I would have said.

I tuned in to watch a Nationwide race and all I got was Danica.
sally
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2006, 12:36:46 AM »

Seven times in 6 years Fox has come out of commercial to show live racing incidents?  Wow.  How can we possibly complain about that/

Sally
Benson23Fan
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2006, 06:34:19 AM »

You like the accidents or something? What's the point of totally screwing up your commercial load and placement to show the last half of a back marker spinning of no consequence? It's remarkable that they even break out of commercial at all considering this was totally unheard of before 2001. Big one or not commercials were never interupted and I'm sure the thought of doing so never crossed anyones mind.
sally
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2006, 11:46:29 AM »

No, I don't like accidents.  I just don't expect to have to watch 50% of the race on tape replay.  If they're going to do that, they might just a well use tape delay....then TV and Nascar could REALLY pick and choose what they decide to show.

sally
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2006, 01:08:16 AM »

Quote from: "Benson23Fan"
What's the point of totally screwing up your commercial load and placement to show the last half of a back marker spinning of no consequence?

Uh, first off, I don't have a commercial load... Wink

Second as a Johnny B. fan, even thought he was often a backmarker (by today's TV standards), wouldn't you want them to break out of commercial to show anything significant involving him?  I know I would.  

Cheryl
Benson23Fan
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2006, 01:47:44 AM »

Not unless he was involved in the big one or wrecked the leader. If they broke out for everything significant that happened to any driver they'd never complete break.
sally
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2006, 12:05:34 PM »

They would never complete a break.  And the down side of that is.....Oh.  It would be just like attending a race live!  You would be able to see evereything that happened on the track as it happens with side by side.  Bummer.

Sally
Benson23Fan
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2006, 02:10:46 PM »

Well obviously there would be no downside for the race fan at home but thinking practically it's not very realistic. Commercial breaks are the result of the networks paying so much money for the rights. They're all going to happen regardless and restarts will be missed by both networks, infact TNT missed 2 last week. Wait until Bristol, Martinsville and Richmond when nearly every restart will be missed.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2006, 09:55:05 PM »

Commercial breaks are the result of the networks paying so much money for the rights.

I guess as a viewer, I still have no sympathy for this...

Wait until Bristol, Martinsville and Richmond when nearly every restart will be missed.

So I guess I'll be listening to the restarts on MRN/PRN as I am today during this sorry excuse for coverage of the Busch race!  It's just a crime to even claim they're covering this race.  I lost count of the missed restarts after about 4.  

Cheryl
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: