November 24, 2017, 03:40:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The End is Near  (Read 698 times)
sally
« on: July 07, 2006, 03:47:30 AM »

When Marty Smith agrees with our (most of us, anyway) point of view, the world must be doomed!

http://www.nascar.com/2006/news/opinion/07/06/jburton_busch/index.html

Sally
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2006, 04:21:32 PM »

To paraphrase WWE's King Booker: "Did he really write that?"

Seriously, that's how bad it has gotten in the Busch Series.  All the more reason to appreciate David Gilliland's victory at Kentucky Speedway recently.

How do you think the upcoming contract with ESPN for all Busch Series races will change the series?

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2006, 04:59:19 PM »

Good point, Desmond. If the situation is so bad that even Marty sees it, then it is really bad.
 Decision time for Baby Brian---does he concentrate on the $$$, or try to make Busch a real stand alone series?
 Any bets???

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Vivian
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2006, 06:23:33 PM »

Great article.  I just can't totally agree with everything that was said though.  I won't go into detail because it would be a fine line if I said what I feel like saying in reference to some of the remarks.

Yes, Busch is in trouble and Nascar/France will go for the $$$.  No doubt in my mind and like Marty basically said, they have passed the point to fix it, it needs overhauling.  JMO
sally
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2006, 05:03:29 PM »

Just for Cheryl, another 'name' puts his oar in the water.

http://www.nascar.com/2006/news/headlines/bg/07/08/dearnhardtjr_busch/index.html

Sally
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2006, 01:28:58 PM »

I'm like Vivian, I don't agree with some of the things in the article.  And, actually, it made me lose a bit of respect for Jeff Burton.  He comes across as having a very callous attitude about young drivers trying to make it in the sport.  That's very disappointing in a guy I've started to like over the last five years.  I think he's lost a bit of touch with how hard it is to break into the sport.  When he got his opportunities in Busch and Cup, there was a lot less money required (as he points out).  

It just seems to me that you have to "have money" or get attached to money (like Gibbs, Childress, Roush) anymore to show your talent.  And, to me, that's very sad.

Cheryl
sally
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2006, 03:26:57 PM »

Did I somehow give the wrong link?  The article I tried to link was Junior saying that something needs to be done soon to save the Busch series.

Sally
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2006, 03:47:09 PM »

Quote from: "sally"
Did I somehow give the wrong link?  The article I tried to link was Junior saying that something needs to be done soon to save the Busch series.

But your first link was to the article by Marty Smith with quotes from Jeff Burton.  That's what I was referring to.

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2006, 06:25:09 PM »

Cheryl, you said exactly what I wanted to say in reference to Jeff Burton but I was afraid that it would not be acceptable.  Things were totally different a few years ago and it seems some people cannot relate to what is happening today in Busch with the the big $$$ teams.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: