November 18, 2017, 06:23:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Article About Driver Commercials  (Read 810 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: July 12, 2006, 06:24:19 PM »

This is an interesting article by Nate Ryan:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/motor/nascar/2006-07-11-commercials_x.htm

I certainly don't fit their stereotype because seeing these same driver commercials over and over again drives me away from the products.  I liked it better when we seldom saw drivers in commercials.  That made them more special to me.  These days, I mute the TV every time one of them comes on, especially anything involving the Waltrips.  The Toy car commercials are the worst and it sounds like that manufacturer thinks we're all a bunch of idiots.  

So I think the ad agencies are misleading the sponsors if they think being bombarded with the same stuff over and over again is convincing the viewers NOT "to leave their couches."

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 07:03:36 PM »

Nate Ryan wrote:  Thanks for the use of this quote, Ryan!

In an era of TiVo and short attention spans, the ads are becoming part of the show and popular enough that fans enjoy keeping drivers on their toes by shouting out catchphrases from their commercials.

Please note he said 'short attention spans'.  Well, this lady does not have a short attention span and I know there are many true fans who do not either.  So for us, it is just boring and questioning our integrity.  I said in another post I got so sick of seeing those Will Farrell Nextel commercials that I will never buy one or watch his movie.  Like Cheryl, too many of the same just turn me off and that will also turn me off their products as well.  The Jeremy/Tony ones he mentioned would work well if they were shown back to back, but unless you see both, what meaning have they?  Once a race would be enough to see any of them.

BTW, Don caught a show with Kasey Kahne on it talking about the swooning girls commercials and he said Kasey said all the girls are married and they were a hoot to work with.  But then, enough is enough as far as watching the commercials.    

I happen to prefer and assortment of commercials because sometimes nowadays, unlike in the past, I am prone channel surf during commercials if they show the same ones over and over and sometimes I just don't go back to the race broadcast.  I kind of feel a lot of us older (agewise), true fans feel that way.  Right, Dick? Cheryl?
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 07:14:19 PM »

Quote from: "Vivian"
I am prone channel surf during commercials if they show the same ones over and over and sometimes I just don't go back to the race broadcast.  I kind of feel a lot of us older (agewise), true fans feel that way.  Right, Dick? Cheryl?

No, I'm not a channel surfer during races no matter how bad they are (I still think I might actually miss something meaningful-silly me!). But I do either mute the commercials every time or switch over to the radio broadcasts on XM.  Many times during the last couple months of Fox, I even preferred to listen to the commericals on XM even after Fox came back from their breaks.   :lol:

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 08:00:17 PM »

Right on! Surf's up Viv Dude! :-D  :-D

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2006, 04:23:18 PM »

I agree that the ads are no longer as special as they once were, but that's what happens when all of them look the same.

There are some good ones, I like the UPS (Jarrett) and Allstate (Kahne) ads.  I hate anything with the Waltrips in it.  How ironic that Michael Waltrip and Dale Jarrett will be teammates next year.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2006, 06:01:54 PM »

The Kahne ones are pretty funny, but after seeing them 10 times a race, even they get old.  

I guess I just long for the days of "Rusty and Alan [Kulwicki] go on vacation."  That was SO funny!  Or Rusty and the groundhog or Miller Lite's "Twist to Open."   :lol:   Those "man-law" ones these days get real old too (and they don't even involve drivers).

Cheryl "just geezing as Lou would say"   :lol:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: