November 22, 2017, 09:15:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kelly Sutton Accident in Truck Race  (Read 792 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: July 02, 2006, 10:27:02 PM »

VERY frightening wreck yesterday in the truck race from Kansas.  Lou and I really thought the worst when they didn't show the replay of her hard hit (on another non-SAFER barrier on the inside of a track).  And the number of safety vehicles which cordoned off the area while they extricated Kelly from her truck.  MRN was talking in very somber voices about what happened, but they DID at least give us some updates prior to SPEED.  And also told us she was alert when they took her out of the car.  SPEED really dropped the ball on that.  They seemed too busy making "happy news" elsewhere.  

Last I heard on MRN (after TV went off the air) was that she had a lot of pain in her ribs and smoke inhalation.  I'm going to go see if I can find any updates now.

Edit:  Apparenlty Kelly "only" suffered a broken hand an rib, which is a relief after such a hard hit.  here's a link to the article from truckseries.com:

http://www.truckseries.com/cgi-script/NCTS_06/articles/000076/007681.htm

Cheryl
shawn
Legend

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2006, 10:52:19 PM »

Glad to hear she didn't suffer any serious injuries, that was one heck of hit.  

Seeing this was the 2nd hard hit on an inside wall, tracks are going to have to  think about putting the safer barrier on them.

Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2006, 12:24:47 PM »

Quote from: "shawn"
Seeing this was the 2nd hard hit on an inside wall, tracks are going to have to  think about putting the safer barrier on them.

I think Kentucky already put up SAFER barriers on the inside after Jeff Fuller's wreck a couple weeks ago.  That's great!  Let's hope the rest of them follow suit.

Cheryl
Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2006, 03:38:22 PM »

Is kelly sutton the woman that has ms or is that a different woman that races?
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2006, 03:58:37 PM »

Quote from: "Bryan Blanton"
Is kelly sutton the woman that has ms or is that a different woman that races?

Yes, she's the one with MS.  She's from about 10 miles from us here in Maryland.  

I actually just saw an update on her condition at Scene Daily.  Sounds like she plans to race in KY this weekend:

http://www.scenedaily.com/stories/2006/07/03/scene_daily2.html

Cheryl
derbyit857
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2006, 09:25:28 PM »

I missed the truck race.. It was a pretty hard hit, was it Cheryl?
shawn
Legend

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2006, 12:16:58 AM »

I think Kentucky already put up SAFER barriers on the inside after Jeff Fuller's wreck a couple weeks ago.  That's great!  Let's hope the rest of them follow suit.

Cheryl

Thats good to hear.  I'm for anything tracks do to make them safer.

Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2006, 01:21:46 PM »

Quote from: "derbyit857"
I missed the truck race.. It was a pretty hard hit, was it Cheryl?

Lou and I happened to be talking to a driver in the pits Saturday at the USAR race and the discussion of Kelly's wreck came up.  Her boyfriend worked on this driver's team and he joined the discussion.  He told us Kelly was knocked out during the wreck and that's part of why it took so long to get her out of the car.  He also said the wreck was 102Gs.  Jeez...
She's a very lucky girl after that!

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2006, 05:34:51 PM »

Kelly Sutton sat out Saturday night's race at Kentucky Speedway, as NASCAR did not clear her to drive after last week's injuries.  Brad Keselowski filled in.  

Like Sutton, Keselowski has raced for a family-owned team.  The #29 team shut down in March when it ran out of money.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: