November 19, 2017, 08:45:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TNT for Many Upcoming Races  (Read 1251 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: June 29, 2006, 03:45:52 PM »

I know many of us are looking forward to this being the last race of the season for Fox.  We are also looking forward to the return of the NBC broadcast team (which also does the broadcast on TNT).  

I happened to be looking at the Tivo guide for next week and saw that both the Busch and Cup races will actually be on TNT.  Seems like I remember that NBC won't actually be back for a few weeks.  On one hand, I find that a good thing because we'll be gone next week and I don't have to worry about getting an HD signal over the air for NBC while I'm away.  And we are fortunate that DirecTV now provides TNT-HD to us.  

Unfortunately, for others who don't have cable or TNT, that's a real bad thing.  In addition, I see the number of commercials on TNT being extremely high, as usual.  So I guess I'm glad we'll be driving back from a Hooters race in Hickory NC next Sunday and I can record the race on Tivo.  That way, I can ff'd through all of TNT's commercials.

Just wanted to let everyone here know where to look for the races next weekend from Chicago.

Edit:  Just looked at the TNT webpage and it appears ALL the races in the next two months (with the exception of Indianapolis and Watkins Glen, I think) will be on TNT.  Guess that shows NBC really isn't interested much in NASCAR in the last year of their contract.  NH, Pocono, Michigan and Bristol are all relegated to TNT.   :evil:

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 04:09:09 PM »

Quote from: "Cheryl"
I happened to be looking at the Tivo guide for next week and saw that both the Busch and Cup races will actually be on TNT.  Seems like I remember that NBC won't actually be back for a few weeks.

That is surprising.  Normally, the Chicagoland race weekend is on NBC.  Then again, NBC may have the U.S. Senior Open golf tournament next week.  NBC and the USGA have a contract as well.

I must stress that I am 100 percent sure of the golf schedule.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2006, 10:08:04 PM »

you are desmond and the golf does take precedent. Cheesy
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2006, 12:30:29 PM »

Well I'm totally confused about which network is showing this week's race.  I just went to NOL to find the name of the race for the "rate the broadcast" forum and they say it is on NBC.  I know I saw it listed for TNT on my Tivo and on the TNT webpage.  I guess it's not nearly as easy to find which channel is showing the races each week as NA$CAR claimed it would be under this TV deal.   :?   But then I am basing this new information on NOL, and I know they're pretty useless.  But aren't they affiliated with Turner, so you'd think they'd give credit to their own network.   :lol:

Cheryl "check your local listings"
derbyit857
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2006, 09:30:01 PM »

Thanks for the great news Cheryl.. :-(

That sucks.. You guys are so right.. Shows how little NBC cares about it's NASCAR coverage this year. Ship it off to a crummy channel not many people get (and a WHOLE other country can't get).  I am sure our local sports channels will pick up the TNT feed.. But we can probably kiss most Busch races in the second half goodbye I am sure.  I show TSN for us carrying the race from 3:30 while TNT starts at 3. Guess no pre-race show for us.. Which I guess could be a good thing eh?
shawn
Legend

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2006, 12:15:42 AM »

I just checked my DVR guide and TNT is showing the race.  3pm for pre-race and 3:30 for the race.

Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2006, 05:21:38 PM »

Quote from: "derbyit857"
I show TSN for us carrying the race from 3:30 while TNT starts at 3. Guess no pre-race show for us.. Which I guess could be a good thing eh?

Craig, if NBC/TNT's prerace shows are even close to the low standards set by Fox/FX, then yes!

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2006, 05:27:14 PM »

Quote from: "Desmond"
Quote from: "derbyit857"
I show TSN for us carrying the race from 3:30 while TNT starts at 3. Guess no pre-race show for us.. Which I guess could be a good thing eh?

Craig, if NBC/TNT's prerace shows are even close to the low standards set by Fox/FX, then yes!

IMHO NBC always stays focus on the racing and drivers in their pre-race shows and doesn't spend all their time promoting their announcers.

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2006, 12:18:31 AM »

I think that NBC/TNT does better pre race shows also.  Sometimes they have short clips about what the drivers do in their spare/off time and usually all the other things they show are not announcer related as Cheryl stated.  She hit that one right on the head.  Fox people are some of the most self promoting people I have ever heard.  JMO
Benson23Fan
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2006, 01:18:25 AM »

I personally think their segments are as announcer related as those on FOX. How about Wally's world? At least on DW's drive along they actually talked about the track, half the time Wally is driving around a celebrity and we get two minutes of the celebrity screaming. Anyone remember the "Golden Benny", how about Dave Burn's silly little segment he has nearly every pre race show that's usually rediculious, such as the silly high jumping skit they did at last years Texas race.
sally
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2006, 03:51:08 AM »

I think this is relevant to the topic.  Rating for Daytona were down 4 % from last year.  Leesa (France) Kennedy also warned that earnings for the third quarter would be down, since attendence at MIS and Daytona were down.  must have been considerable to make a dent in Nascar/ISC profits.  FYI, they were up considerably over last year for the second quarter.

Sally
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: