November 23, 2017, 07:28:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Open Letter from Bobby Hamilton  (Read 699 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: July 06, 2006, 12:23:34 PM »

Claire B. Lang read this letter on XM today where Bobby Hamilton discusses his illness.  It's very moving and inspiring.  I searched for it on his web site so I could post a link here.  It's kind of long, but well worth reading.  Lou and I had our two closest friends die of cancer in 2000 and 2001, so we know the importance of catching it early.  I'm not sure Bobby is out of the woods yet, but I certainly wish him the best in his battle:

http://www.bobbyhamiltonracing.com/cgi-script/kmgArticles/articles/000008/000864.htm

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 05:16:44 PM »

Thank you, Bobby, for your battle and your insight! Cheesy  Cheesy

If cancer were to happen to me or my family, I can only hope to draw inspiration from him and the others like him.  Who knows, maybe he can be champion again, like Lance Armstrong after he beat cancer. Cheesy

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
derbyit857
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 04:29:07 PM »

That was a great letter Bobby posted.  He make so many true points that hit home especially close to me (as you all know what my family had to deal with this year).  

Cancer blindsides you and you never expect something like this can happen to you or your family.  You eat well, you exercise, you are in 100% perfect health on all your checkups, and you take precautions when being outside in the sun, and yet it still happens.  My father always tried to warn us that he and Mom were "starting to get into the age group where anything could happen" but I honestly never believed him. I figured anyone in there 50s and 60s still had lots of time to enjoy life.   Bobby's situation sounds so much like ours where you are totally blindsided.  The support you receive from family and friends is what gets you through something like this. I am sure Bobby's family is giving him the same level of support we gave my Dad until his fight was over.  Now we have directed that support to my Mom who's been having a pretty rough time with it all lately.  Their 36th wedding anniversary is coming up in a few weeks so we are doing all we can to make sure she's got the support she needs to get her through it.   I wish Bobby and his family all the best in their fight!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: