November 20, 2017, 01:32:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hey, Dick  (Read 2306 times)
Vivian
« on: July 03, 2006, 09:00:26 PM »

Hey Dick.

Everytime I think about asking how you are doing healthwise I am not near a computer and then when I am I usually get sidetracked.  But I would like to know how things are with your health.

Now, CONGRATULATIONS on getting that vehicle ready for the show!

Vivian
sally
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2006, 09:41:20 PM »

yeah, we expect the pics ASAP!

Sally
derbyit857
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 09:17:22 PM »

Would love to see the pics Dick!!  Would anyone object to me posting a couple of my two classic cars once Dick posts his??  My pride and joy of course is the Oldsmobile my Dad left me..  Wanted to ask first because I didn't want to hijack Dick's thread here :-)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 12:13:59 PM »

Quote from: "derbyit857"
Would love to see the pics Dick!!  Would anyone object to me posting a couple of my two classic cars once Dick posts his??  My pride and joy of course is the Oldsmobile my Dad left me..  Wanted to ask first because I didn't want to hijack Dick's thread here :-)

No problem, Craig!  We'd love to see them.  If you are worried about the thread, you can always start your own.   Wink   But I don't think anyone will be offended.

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006, 04:48:22 PM »

Craig, I'm the last one to be offended. Put the pics on, please.
 Since I'm computer illiterate, I can only do pics that I have scanned thru a HP program. I tried to send Cheryl some yesterday which my staff took on the 4th, but they didn't go through, so I'll keep trying.

Viv, I'm fine, just gotta keep working out and eating healthy. Thanks for asking.
 Our 4th of July car show was very wet, and only about one third of the expected number of cars showed up. I don't blame the folks who left their cars safe and dry. My Stude is now in need of a bath, but it was fun showing it off. Cheesy  One clown tried to buy it. NO WAY! :-D
  Back to work. Talk to you later.
 Dick

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Vivian
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2006, 12:14:52 AM »

Dick, it sounds like you had fun at the show!  Sometimes I ask Don if he misses the Corvette we had, and he always tells me that he enjoys driving that old '35 so much better.  So I can imagine the fun you had and how you feel when you drive it.

Stay Safe!

Craig, I for one would love to see your pictures.   Cool   Either on this thread or on another.  So share, please.
derbyit857
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2006, 10:48:00 PM »

Hey all..

Thanks for allowing me to post pics of my "other babies" :-)

This is my 1972 Plymouth Satellite Sebring I bought to restore. Still a work in progress..  It's originally from Saskatchewan so it's in good shape (they use way less salt than we do in Ontario).  It has the 318 V8 and has 80.000 original miles.  I need to get some better pictures but here are the best of what I have now:

http://www.demolitionderby.ca/images/classics/satdans.jpg
http://www.demolitionderby.ca/images/classics/satgarage.jpg

Here is my Dad's 1964 Oldsmobile Cutlass.  It's an almost entirely all original car (never been restored) from New Jersey.  It even has the original paint.  It has 22.000 original miles, and we have the original bill of sale, title, and all the brochures/owner's manuals.  It has the 330 ci Ultra High Compression V8 (290 HP) with the 2 spd automatic transmission.  We even have all 5 (countng the spare tire in the trunk now) of the original bias ply tires on rims (the spare in the trunk still has the "blue paint" on the whitewall).  It's hard to find a flaw in the car anywhere and everyone who sees the car at the shows can't believe it's survived all these years without a restoration.  They tell me it should be in a museum somewhere.  We've had offers to buy it everytime it's out.  You can't drive the car around town without at least 2 people yelling "NICE CAR!".  Dad bought the car to enjoy it and that he did.  He put 3000 miles on it since he bought it 3 years ago (it had 18000 on it when he got it).  I'm so proud to be able to have it.  When my Dad (his name is Jim) was sick, and he gave the car to me, he told me I could take the plates off the car that we bought him but I told him I never would as it would always be his car and I am just here to take care of it.  All these pictures of the car were taken on this past father's day near Sandbanks Provincial Park.  I forgot to take pictures of the inside as it's as clean as the day it was made also.  I will have to do that when I have the car out next time and then post them.

This is a picture of myself, my sister and my Mom and of course the picture of Dad (we don't have very many pictures with him and the car since who would have thought we wouldn't have more time to get them):
http://www.demolitionderby.ca/images/classics/IMGA0348.jpg

The rest of the pics of the car on it's own:
http://www.demolitionderby.ca/images/classics/IMGA0350.jpg
http://www.demolitionderby.ca/images/classics/IMGA0351.jpg
http://www.demolitionderby.ca/images/classics/IMGA0353.jpg
http://www.demolitionderby.ca/images/classics/IMGA0354.jpg

Craig
Vivian
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2006, 11:29:15 PM »

Thanks for sharing the pictures, Craig.

Looks like you have a great classic in that Olds.  I know how you must feel and the legacy from your Dad will always bring out pride.

Doesn't look like much damage on the Sebring.  What is the inside like?  Do you have to do a lot there?  And what color do you plan on painting it?
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2006, 02:29:51 PM »

Great story about your Dad and the Olds, Craig. I always liked that model too. The Plymouth looks pretty nice. It is fairly rare to see one of those Sebrings now. Nice car.
 Dick

William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2006, 03:02:24 PM »

Great pictures of some great cars, Craig!  Thanks for sharing them with us!  You are very fortunate to have them!

Thanks!
Cheryl
derbyit857
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2006, 04:00:16 PM »

Thanks Cheryl, Vivian and Dick!  Thanks for the great compliments on the cars.

Vivian:

Yeah that Olds is something I will never part with. It kinda surprised me a bit when he bought it because he always had a sweet spot for the 55-57 Ford Fairlanes, Victorias, etc..  But he saw the car and fell in love with it.

The Sebring is in good shape overall.  The car is good and solid with only a bit or rust.  The paint is a cheap redo someone did (it's supposed to be a Gold Leaf Metallic colour).  My plans are to paint it just like a Satellite Sebring Plus.  You got a two tone paint scheme.  It will be black on the top, and and white below the chrome trim that runs along the side.  The vinyl roof will stay white also.  It looks like a really sharp combo together.  My wife saw a picture of one in the dealer brochure I have and totally dropped her original "it has to be red!" statement.  :-) The interior is OK.  Whoever had the car before we didn't store the car properly so there is sun damage and a bit of rodent damage to the  headliner.  I got a great deal on the car from a friend's dad who "collected" the car after the guy didn't pay his storage fees.  He told my friend's dad to pay the tab and he would give him the car.  So I paid him what the tab was.

Dick:
It's hard to believe you don't see many Sebrings around now.  Most have been converted to clones or destroyed by rust I guess.  People always ask me when I will be starting the GTX or Road Runner clone job on it.  I always tell them I have no plans to do that.  It's not a true GTX or RR so why pretend it is one!  I'd rather leave it pretty much alone other than maybe add some performance to that 318 to get it up where it should be.  I have loved the body style ever since I was a kid watching Daisy Duke drive one in the earlier seasons of the Dukes of Hazzard.  It just looks like nothing else out there I think and I certainly don't see any around the shows here.

Cheryl:
Not a day goes by that I am not thankful for having these cars. I only wish I had the $ to get the Plymouth up to where it should be much sooner. It's surprising how fast the costs add up.  I thought I had only spent a few bucks here and there on it (because I haven't got heavy into the restoration yet) but then I realized I was up over $1000 that I had spent on parts :shock:, which as Dick can verify is nothing in the car restoration game.. Some people spend tens of thousands (sometimes hundreds of thousands) on their restorations..  I can say I won't be one of those people, so says my paycheque!  :lol:  It doesn't help though that my car shares a ton of parts with it's brother Mopars of the same era (Cuda, Challenger, etc.).  The market for Mopars right now is red hot and so is the cost to buy parts for them!
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2006, 04:56:37 PM »

Thank you, Craig, for sharing the pictures! Cheesy

I don't own any cars myself, and our family always tries to get rid of all the cars beyond a certain age.  It takes dedication to preserve the vintage autos.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2006, 06:25:05 PM »

Good point craig re the Mopar parts cost. It is hard to believe the prices for some of those cars.
 There was a nice 67 or 68 Barracuda Formula S at our 4th of July show. Fresh out of many years of storage, and looked pretty nice.

BTW, I don't remember noticing what it was that Daisy Duke was driving!! :-D

Dick (getting ready to duckall the barbs from the ladies! :-D )

William James
Vivian
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2006, 08:01:24 PM »

Since we are talking cars I have to add pickups to it.

Don has a 1972 Chevy shortbed 4X4 that he is trying to sell right now.  It is breaking my heart to sell it.  Inside is really clean and truck has only one little dent in the right rear.  He has had it for about 20 years and it is a vehicle that just says 'Don' to me.  It is an automatic and has a camper shell on it but it is also a classic.  Everyday when I see it setting in front of the shop, I just feel so sad.  But it is his decision and although my name is also on the title, I can't force him to keep it.  He just says it is time to sell it since we don't drive it and he is putting all his money into the restoration of the '35.  Maybe I will take some pictures...
Vivian
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2006, 08:03:31 PM »

Dick wrote:

BTW, I don't remember noticing what it was that Daisy Duke was driving!!  

I would be surprised if very many men noticed what Daisy Duke drove.  After all, it was the General Lee that made the show.  :roll:  Of course, I liked John Schneider much better than General Lee!   :-D
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: