November 20, 2017, 06:34:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Michigan 258  (Read 631 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: June 19, 2006, 12:26:20 PM »

Funny, MRN was mentioning how Michigan was in the western part of the eastern time zone and there would be a lot of daylight left.  Yet, NASCAR pulled the pull at 5 p.m.  When I was in Mansfied, Ohio last week, we noticed it didn't get dark there until 9 p.m. last Friday night.  

Yes it was pouring down rain at 5 p.m. in MI, but they had at least 4 more hours of daylight!  Typical NA$CAR; they have the fans money and gave them a little over half a race, so why bother trying for more.  Fox had to hurry to get away to show some old movie and reruns during primetime, so that was obviously more important. :evil:

This was a damn good race with lots of passing, three-wide and competitive leave changes.  I guess I'm just disappointed that NA$CAR didn't try a little harder to wait out the rain.  It's so seldom we see good racing these days, but maybe as someone on here suggested a year or so ago, maybe they don't want the new fans to get used to good racing, so they'll be satisfied with "the show" the rest of the time.

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 04:38:20 PM »

I've read from some folks who were there, that after it quit raining, it didn't rain again for several hours. Probably coul have finished the race.

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 05:18:09 PM »

Quote from: "old hot rodder"
I've read from some folks who were there, that after it quit raining, it didn't rain again for several hours. Probably coul have finished the race.

I'm sure they could have, Dick!  TV probably just didn't want to cover it, so NASCAR played their game and called it.  I know how disappointed I was to see if Edwards/Gordon/Biffle had anything for Kahne, but I really feel for the folks who sat through 3-4 rain delays only to leave there gipped out of what might have been an exciting battle to the checkered flag.  

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006, 05:19:51 PM »

Quote from: "Cheryl"
Yes it was pouring down rain at 5 p.m. in MI, but they had at least 4 more hours of daylight!

The ARCA race on Friday began at 5 p.m., so resuming this race could well have been done, assuming that there was no more rain.

Certainly, the drivers and teams competed with a lot more urgency than usual due to the weather forecast.  It's another reminder of how little apparent logic comes with the NASCAR decisions.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
shawn
Legend

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2006, 11:39:12 PM »

With rain in the area, why didn't they start the race earlier?  I mean it was like after 1:30 before it started and tv started @ 1.

Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2006, 12:59:35 AM »

Quote from: "shawn"
With rain in the area, why didn't they start the race earlier?  I mean it was like after 1:30 before it started and tv started @ 1.

I agree, Shawn.  Conventional wisdom would be to do that, but we're talking about NA$CAR and TV.  Can't change the schedule for something as trivial as weather, I guess.   Sad

Cheryl
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2006, 07:09:34 PM »

From the Fox website and a fan question to Jeff Hammond about the race being called so early.  I can appreciate the teams wanted to head back to Charlotte, but I can guarantee you the fans AT the track wouldn't have cared how late they had to stay to see the entire race.

"Rainout was right call
Lisa from Kalamazoo, Mich.: Why did they call the Michigan race so soon after red-flagging it? The fronts were moving fast, and that was the worst of them. There was plenty of time to race. UPSET!in Kalamazoo

Jeff Hammond: When NASCAR looked at the weather radar, they didn't feel like they could get the track dry. You are correct about the systems coming through, but if any kind of rain falls, you can lose control of the race track and can't get it dry in enough while it's still daylight. If they pushed it to the limit and didn't get it in, they would have held the race fans longer than they needed to be at the track, which makes it harder on the law enforcement folks that work traffic at these events.

Plus, it's a 12-hour trip from Michigan back to North Carolina. The teams had to get back to the Charlotte area unload the truck and load up again to go to California on Monday afternoon. A lot of factors played into the decision. When we were on the air during the red flag, we were checking the weather, and our sources showed a huge green blob all the way back to the other side of the stateline in Ohio.

As soon as it stops raining, NASCAR can't snap its fingers and dry the racetrack. NASCAR determined that there was moisture in the air, and it would have been too close before the track was dry, creating an unsafe condition to complete the race. It seemed like it was an awfully quick decision, but all of those factors contributed to NASCAR pulling the trigger.

It was still raining off and on when we left the race track almost 30 minutes after they called the race. They could not have started drying the track by then so it's a tough call for NASCAR. In the big scheme of things, it was the right thing to do, and I don't think that the wrong guy won. Kasey Kahne definitely had one of the fastest cars there. If it had gone the entire 200 laps, it would have been an exciting race, but we had a really good race up to the point. "

Here's the link to the page with an email link to write Jeff:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/5709492

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2006, 09:51:20 PM »

Yeah, well I wrote to Jeff once. Asked him a good questiontoo and didn't get a response, even tho I signed my full name. I guess he thought I was tryting to impress him or something, (I was). :-D  So I'm not gonna write to him anymore, so there! :-D  He does make some valid points here though.

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2006, 04:36:48 PM »

Still don't like the decision. Sad

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: